Review Wilson Staff Launch Pad Irons and Metal Woods

Thanks to Jaymo37, I have had the opportunity to try the new Wilson Launch Pad irons (4-PW with KBS Tour 80S). So far I have hit these at the range twice and on an indoor Trackman. Weather around here hasnā€™t been the greatest. We had snow as recently as Saturday evening.

I normally play Regular flex steel shafts in my irons, but given these are a lighter weight stiff shaft they seem to be working just fine for me.

Build Quality:

I always like to compare oem specs to the actual clubs to see how their build quality stands up.
Specs according to Wilson are:
wilson lp specs.png

My Specs (sorry I donā€™t have a lie or loft measuring device):
wilson lp my specs.png

I measure at a 60* lie angle (USGA standard) and to the end of the grip. Other than a couple of the irons being 1/8ā€ longer than spec, everything was pretty dead on. So I give Wilson an A- for build quality. Very well done.

When these came in I noticed some previous wear that Jaymo must have inflicted on these ;)
Here are some pics of the back cavity. As you can see these do tend to pick up some bag chatter as they rub against other clubs.
C708AC37-149D-47F0-AAA8-792E9F53BE57.jpeg

Performance:

Still early in the process but I like what I see from the LPā€™s. The launch the ball very easily which is a consistent theme that I see with hollow body hybrid-like irons. I tend to play a baby draw and the ball flight is consistent with my norm. Below are some snippets of my recent Trackman session. The LPā€™s really hold up against the Altitudes.
Dispersion charts:
6i test.png
7i test.png
PW test.png

Numbers:
6i Test
lp tude 6i.png

7i Test
lp tude 7i.png

PW Test
lp tude pw.png

I also tested the 4 and 5 irons and while I had no issues making clean contact with the ball I simply cannot generate enough height and carry with these irons to make them viable for my bag. This is not a knock on the LPā€™s as this is simply my swing. Carry was no longer than the 6i and both just rolled out more. This is why I start play hybrids in the 4 and 5 slots.

Aesthetics/Looks:

When I first saw these on the rack in the store they immediately reminded me of the Cleveland Altitude/HB/Turbo lines. Very large footprint, wide sole, thick topline. But that is to be expected in this type of iron. There is some offset but nothing offensive. The sole is a polished chrome with a dark gray painted back side (cavity) that wraps around to the toe end. Also present on the toe is the Wilson Staff (W/S symbol). I am not a huge fan of shiny chrome clubs as they tend to look very worn very quickly. Of the three 2020 Hybrid iron type offerings, the Cobra T-Rail is my favorite followed by the Cleveland HB Turbo. The LPā€™s would be my least favorite of the three looks wise.
4183982C-C7DB-4BEA-ADE8-AD3B12CB6DC4.jpeg

Sound/Feel:

The knock on hybrid type hollow body irons is usually their sound. They are a bit loud and clicky and these are no exception. I will say after gaming these types of irons I am accustomed to it and honestly do not even notice it any longer.

Let me know if there is anything I can answer as I continue to try these out.

Great Feedback so far @erock9174

You're right they definitely show signs of bag chatter rather quickly on the outside of the iron body where a cavity would normally be. Would love to see the T-Rail data thrown into the mix when you've had a chance to get some numbers, to see how those compare for you.

Great Feedback so far @erock9174

Would love to see the T-Rail data thrown into the mix when you've had a chance to get some numbers, to see how those compare for you.

Actually had some data that I forgot to post.
From a dispersion standpoint both fared really well.
Trail v LP dispersion.png

Here are the numbers between the T-Rail and Launch Pad irons.
I tend to struggle with getting my descent angle over 40* with a 6i...sometimes even a 7i.
So in comparing the two I like what I am seeing in terms of land angle with the T-Rails being at 41.5 to where the Launch Pad is at 37.5*
Having said that, the reason could be that the LP's have a stiff flex vs the T-Rails having my norm (R Flex).
This was my main issue with the G700's when I had them. From 7-PW no issues with shot height and descent angle. But with the 6i if I didn't quite catch it right it would land too shallow, hit and skip through the green.
(Note I did remove the first shot with the T-Rail as it was a very bad swing to help normalize the data set).
LP v T-Rail.png

Back