Review Wilson Staff Launch Pad Irons and Metal Woods

I think similarly. For me, aesthetics were always a big thing you could count on W/S getting right, but now I do think that Cleveland and Tour Edge have a distinct advantage there if this is the direction of things.

I too am enjoying the performance thoughts, but it is still a very unexpected overall package IMPO.

these just flat out miss for me. You know me, I've been kind of a W/S fan for a long time. Whether they make it in the bag or not, I always like to give them a fair shake. I REALLY liked what they were pushing starting with C200 which carried all the way to the D7, even with the PING naming convention. Even their D350 irons looked significantly better than this release and it was kind of aimed at the same demographic. I just don't see why I would go this route over an HL4. Maybe the performance trumps it, but man, I just don't know about these. Nothing to get excited about, and that's a shame.

For comparison, regards to pricepoint,

4-PW (or a 7 piece set) in the Launch Pad are $100 less ($799) than both the Cobra comparable Hybrid Iron sets.

The Cleveland set is the same price.

Last edited:
Yeah. Recycling a name from DvD is something that JUMPED out at me too. I know most won't know that, and that it is a different design than that, but still.

@OITW 1- How do you think this set fits in with the D7 lineup? Aren't they targeted at the same demographic? 2- Why should the average golfer look at these over the Cleveland Turbo or Tour Edge HL4?
I'm with @Jman here! Looks wise, it's a miss for me. The Launch Pad series is kind of bland. W/S recycled the name from DvD. I would love to see more harmony and cohesion with the Wilson/Staff line ups. Launch Pad, D7, C300, V6, D200, F5 Tour, Cortex, Triton, etc! But, perfomance is key and if it performs...everything else doesn't matter!
THIS, is the billion dollar question.

@OITW . I would love to see more harmony and cohesion with the Wilson/Staff line ups. Launch Pad, D7, C300, V6, D200, F5 Tour, Cortex, Triton, etc!
To be fair a number of these above are several years old.

THIS, is the billion dollar question.

I think that is the question. Similar for Cobra with T-Rail. The flip side is for several years Cleveland has had this space to themselves at retailers and those numbers have been solid.

Chasing them? Maybe, but I think some of these smaller brands want a piece of that sales number.

For comparison, regards to pricepoint,

4-PW (or a 7 piece set) in the Launch Pad are $100 less ($799) than both the Cobra and Cleveland comparable Hybrid Iron sets.

but that's not completely true. 7 piece set of Launcher HB Turbo is also 799.

Yeah. Recycling a name from DvD is something that JUMPED out at me too. I know most won't know that, and that it is a different design than that, but still.

hopefully that fellas got some royalties

I think that is the question. Similar for Cobra with T-Rail. The flip side is for several years Cleveland has had this space to themselves at retailers and those numbers have been solid.

Chasing them? Maybe, but I think some of these smaller brands want a piece of that sales number.
I don't blame them at all for wanting some of it. Question is, can they really take away from Cleveland who looks wise does it better than anyone, and Tour Edge who has KILLED it with the HL offerings.

Was just about to post this. (y)

Was just about to post this. (y)

so even if they are trying to undercut the competitors, they should have dropped it even more. D7 irons were priced much better than that, they were like 599 at launch.

Y'all fellas keep up the awesome conversation! It's 70 degrees in Wilmywood and I'm going to the golf course. I will catch up later. I love THP mornings!

I believe price plays a pretty large role in this segment of irons. We watched Launcher HB start selling really well when they had the price reduction. Really well.

I don't blame them at all for wanting some of it. Question is, can they really take away from Cleveland who looks wise does it better than anyone, and Tour Edge who has KILLED it with the HL offerings.

That is the question and I am enjoying the conversation and feedback from THPers.

so even if they are trying to undercut the competitors, they should have dropped it even more. D7 irons were priced much better than that, they were like 599 at launch.
This is also a really really good point.

I like the idea of the irons, combined with the KBS stock shaft, but with most of these types I really need to try them first, some have been hit or miss for me, pun intended!

Heard about the LP irons recently. With a T-Rail 6i on order I'd like to try these for sure before any purchases are made.

Also since I have pretty much given up on fairway woods I am really excited to try out the Fy. My buddy let me hit his older version and while it was easy enough I felt my 3h at the time was easier and longer.
Wonder how it compares to the Super Hybrid from Cally.

Anyone know the head size in cc's of the Super Hybrid compared to the Fy?

@OITW 1- How do you think this set fits in with the D7 lineup? Aren't they targeted at the same demographic? 2- Why should the average golfer look at these over the Cleveland Turbo or Tour Edge HL4?
I'm with @Jman here! Looks wise, it's a miss for me. The Launch Pad series is kind of bland. W/S recycled the name from DvD. I would love to see more harmony and cohesion with the Wilson/Staff line ups. Launch Pad, D7, C300, V6, D200, F5 Tour, Cortex, Triton, etc! But, perfomance is key and if it performs...everything else doesn't matter!

I can't speak to the Tour Edge.

From a performance standpoint these and the Turbos are very similar and people would need to get fit. Shaft performance is really the difference maker for me swing to swing.

From a looks standpoint, the Cleveland irons appeal more to me due to the matte finish, of course that's player dependent.

All I know is I believe standing above the new FY model the looks would seem classic enough?!
Given that the specs are unique in comparison to other fairway models out there, they might have a really unique product that we haven't seen since the days of the original Fybrid and Baffler F6. Combine this with a quality shaft and a good price point and they might have a winner. All that said, one club won't make up for an entire line if the rest proves to be a bust.
I want to try it!

With my ball flight, I'm definitely not the target audience here, but with Wilson's recent releases, I'm sure it does exactly what it's intending to do and does it very well.

Given that the specs are unique in comparison to other fairway models out there, they might have a really unique product that we haven't seen since the days of the original Fybrid and Baffler F6.

Do you think the Super Hybrid takes a bit away since it came earlier? Or does price and one being for draw biased and the other being neutral or fade biased make them different enough?

Do you think the Super Hybrid takes a bit away since it came earlier? Or does price and one being for draw biased and the other being neutral or fade biased make them different enough?
For sure the price is a big difference maker here. I see the Super Hybrid as being geared toward the high-speed low cap player. The FY I see as a mid-handicap offering designed to instil confidence for the masses that struggle with fairway woods. Two different approaches, the super hybrid being a hybrid with fairway wood tendencies and the FY being a fairway with hybrid tendencies. I won't even try the Super because of price, but I'll give the FY a swing for sure.

Looking at these irons you can pretty eliminate hitting any fat shots.

I will go try these but I am not loving the glossy black blister on the back of the irons. I prefer the Turbo look

20 plus Handicap Feedback.

For two scramble tournaments I put these in the hands of two of my friends. Both are playing bladed irons sets that are more than 10 years old.

Friend A:

4 man scramble.

Low 20s handicap, plays 10-20x a year. Struggles with a slice and misses with fat/chunked shots. Gamer 7i is about 145-155

Compared to his older clubs, his ball flight was higher, we used a few of his tee shots and approach shots in the scramble. He was also picking up 10-20 yards of distance in general.

He love the way these played and was inquiring about them post round. He wasn't bothered by the looks, he was really happy to hit golf shots that he typically doesn't see.

Friend B:

High 20s cap - plays once or twice a year. Struggles with a very big slice and miss generally thin or missed ball. Gamer 7i is 130-140.

Hit the 4i off the tee 180 with one of his better shots.

Made Par on his own ball on the 150 Yard Par 3 with the 5i off the tee.

These launched a tad bit higher for him, also his slice was minimized a bit, not a lot, but it definitely wasn't as far right.

He was blown away these, definitely happy with his performance and looking forward to playing the scramble next year.

Back