Review Wilson Staff Launch Pad Irons and Metal Woods

I have been gaming hybrid iron since THP got me to try the Altitudes back in 2013. These do nothing for me to change my mind to swap from my beloved Tour Edge or Cleveland offerings. As I said with Cleveland, I think companies trying to compete in this market are making a mistake not offering more selections in loft of fairways and hybrids like Tour Edge and Cobra do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna be real.

Those are a disappointing direction looks wise for me given all the progress Wilson has made in recent years. I really and truly expected more aesthetically, SGI lineup or not.

The return of the Fybrid is something they could have really taken and run with, but, instead it just looks....well....meh.

Obviously just my take, but man given all the teasers and such I expected more.

I've got two different grades on the looks. In hand and on the rack, it is very low. The black portion is bulbous and strange to my eye. But at address it makes a world of sense and it tricks your brain (in most light conditions at least) that the black part isn't really there. So at address they look way slimmer to the user. Kind of a cool little trick - one of my "ahhhhhh I get it" moments.

@OITW 1- How do you think this set fits in with the D7 lineup? Aren't they targeted at the same demographic? 2- Why should the average golfer look at these over the Cleveland Turbo or Tour Edge HL4?
I'm with @Jman here! Looks wise, it's a miss for me. The Launch Pad series is kind of bland. W/S recycled the name from DvD. I would love to see more harmony and cohesion with the Wilson/Staff line ups. Launch Pad, D7, C300, V6, D200, F5 Tour, Cortex, Triton, etc! But, perfomance is key and if it performs...everything else doesn't matter!

I don't think that the D7 and LP are aimed at the same demographic, although that venn diagram does have some overlap

I've got two different grades on the looks. In hand and on the rack, it is very low. The black portion is bulbous and strange to my eye. But at address it makes a world of sense and it tricks your brain (in most light conditions at least) that the black part isn't really there. So at address they look way slimmer to the user. Kind of a cool little trick - one of my "ahhhhhh I get it" moments.
Eh, this is still a huge step back for me with Wilson. It looks rushed. My issues aren't a slimness thing though, its an overall package thing.

Very cool review @OITW, thanks for the write up. Man there are a LOT of choices for this type of club all of a sudden, and that is a great thing.

I’ve been playing with these for about 6 weeks now, and have really enjoyed them.

Looks: When I first received these, I was a bit taken aback by just how chunky the overall size was. While W/S did a good job of progressively thinning these down as you approach the pitching wedge, they were still quite a large profile from 4-PW. That being said, after a few holes, I got used to what I was seeing, and didn’t think about it much after that.

When comparing the look at address to similar irons such as Cleveland’s HB Turbos I do like the look of these better. They mask the overall profile at address better than the Turbos in my opinion.

Feel & Sound: When struck well, these feel as good as any other iron I’ve played recently, and the sound isn’t noticeable, in that it doesn’t stand out as something unpleasant. On shots hit away from the center of the face, the feedback is certainly sufficient to know where on the face I’ve missed, and the sound does become higher pitched, and is definitely noticeable.

Performance: I had a tournament scheduled the day after I received these, and had no intent on putting them straight into the bag for a tournament, having never even swung them. I did snag the 5/7/9 on my way up to the driving range to warm up that morning, thinking I’d hit a few and get some initial thoughts. On a day when my swing was less than stellar, I was hitting these significantly better than my Pings, so much so, that I went and grabbed the rest of the set out of my jeep, and headed back up to the range. Within about 20 minutes, I was 100% set on putting these in the bag for the tournament.

My first swings were with the 5 iron, and after the first few, I was thrilled with the consistency of launch and distance. It seemed almost effortless in getting a nice high launch, swing after swing. I have been playing a fade this year, and while these were still fading predictably, it was more like 3-4 yards instead of 5-8 yards. As I progressed through my warm-up, more of the same, regardless of club selection.

As it relates to distance, I’ve been primarily playing in colder weather, so it’s tough to get a true feel for how far they’re going, but I’m confident in saying that I haven’t seen a significant increase in distance. If they are longer than my Ping G’s it’s only by a few yards, half a club at most (which could have more to do with the fact that my ping’s play ¾” short to ping’s standard). This was a little surprising, as I would have guessed the hybrid like profile and characteristics would have resulted in some extra yardage. Hoping to get on a sim in the next few weeks to validate my thoughts there. Consistency of distance seems solid, as I haven’t seen any “flyers” or similar type shots.

From a dispersion standpoint, these are as good as anything I’ve hit. Mishits result in a marginal distance loss, but lateral accuracy sees very little negative impact. Even on days when I’m not hitting many greens, I’m always close enough that I’m confident in getting a high percentage of those opportunities up and down.

In terms of workability, they’re not designed for, aimed at, those who wish to work the ball in different directions with ease. These seem aimed at the golfer that wants to hit a straight ball. That’s not to say they can’t be worked, as they absolutely can, but it takes some effort, especially in the shorter irons.

Overall I think these are a solid offering, that will do exactly what they were intended to, which would be help to elevate, and maintain directional control of iron shots. I do think if I were in their marketing department, I would have tried to get these in at a price point that was lower than some of the already established competition (Cleveland), but for those unaware of, or not caring about any existing stigma relating to the Wilson brand I think these will perform every bit as well as their competition.

Side by side with the T-Rail

I do think the T-Rail is a better looking overall package. I was messing around with one in the store last weekend, and did like the looks better, both at address and overall.

Very much agree on the look at address not being nearly as bad as in hand.

Looking at these irons you can pretty eliminate hitting any fat shots.

One would think... and yet I've done it lol. I think the width helps, but if you attack the ball as you would with an Iron, the fat shot is still very much in play

well stated s
Side by side with the T-Rail

View attachment 8918484
I do think the T-Rail is a better looking overall package. I was messing around with one in the store last weekend, and did like the looks better, both at address and overall.

Having hit all three and had top down address on all three - the TRails are the most visually pleasing and I believe the most commercially viable looks wise out of the three hybrid irons that I’ve seen/hit etc.

A few more thoughts...

I was initially concerned about holding greens, and how these would produce from a spin standpoint. Absolutely no reason for concern here. I've had 9 iron's that have backed up 7-8 feet, and 4 irons sitting within 1'-2' of their pitch mark. Ultimately, they'll hold a green for sure.

The KBS Tour 80 shaft pairing isn't my favorite. It's definitely a high launch high spin offering, which may very well be the reason my concern above is null, but for me, I don't love the feel of that particular shaft. I think the stock graphite offering of the Recoils might be an ideal pairing though.

A few more thoughts...

I was initially concerned about holding greens, and how these would produce from a spin standpoint. Absolutely no reason for concern here. I've had 9 iron's that have backed up 7-8 feet, and 4 irons sitting within 1'-2' of their pitch mark. Ultimately, they'll hold a green for sure.

The KBS Tour 80 shaft pairing isn't my favorite. It's definitely a high launch high spin offering, which may very well be the reason my concern above is null, but for me, I don't love the feel of that particular shaft. I think the stock graphite offering of the Recoils might be an ideal pairing though.

can confirm I had no issue into greens at all. Between the high launch and soft greens this time of year I was holding just fine.

Having seen today's updates and read the initial reviews - thanks guys - I'll definitively give these a try when they come out next year. So far not convinced but these scream to be tested.

I like the LP lineup visually and I like what Wilson is doing in this segment, to me it is a logical step. The LP driver and the FY have me very interested. I'll hold off on buying the Cortex just yet.

Question: is the FY anything like the Callaway Super Hybrid or completely different?

If anything is disappointing or missing, I actually had hoped for the D7 forged iron update today.

I like the looks of the T-Rail a lot better than the Launch Pad. That said, 1-Performance 2-Price 3-Look is the way I rate things.

Hybrid irons aren't really something I'm interested in, but I will say that there is nothing about the design or looks of W/S's offering that I think is lacking (at least, as compared to other hybrid irons).

F39B2A0A-FBA0-4107-8869-9730627F9BC2.jpeg
I found this photo of the sole and it’s contact with the ground very interesting. This is the 6 iron.

Thanks to @OITW for posting numbers so quickly. For @Jaymo37 and @Molten I have a question about distances. When you get a second, compare the distances you are/were seeing in these to what you have found with your regular irons, regardless of loft. Did a test with someone recently and I cannot pinpoint something and hope you guys can help.

Thanks to @OITW for posting numbers so quickly. For @Jaymo37 and @Molten I have a question about distances. When you get a second, compare the distances you are/were seeing in these to what you have found with your regular irons, regardless of loft. Did a test with someone recently and I cannot pinpoint something and hope you guys can help.

I’m going to dig up numbers on these to post - any irons or type of irons you want to see side by side numbers on? I can make it happen!

I’m going to dig up numbers on these to post - any irons or type of irons you want to see side by side numbers on? I can make it happen!

Whatever you are comfortable hitting. Genuinely curious because seeing some interesting things.

I haven't had a chance to get hard numbers yet, still need to get on a Sim at some point, I can say that the long irons seem similar in terms of places I'm used to being off the tee on shorter holes, mid irons almost seemed 1/2 club longer, and for some reason I can't hit the PW further than 115, which is a good 10 yards shorter. I've been playing in cold weather though so that may be of some influence.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Do we have specs yet ? How’s the offset on the LP irons compared to the Trail and HB Turbos ?

Do we have specs yet ? How’s the offset on the LP irons compared to the Trail and HB Turbos ?

By chance did you check out the article? Offset is minimal.
For exactness.

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 4.25.41 PM.png

I'm inclined to agree with this assessment. They don't look great in the bag or in hand. At address I think the shape looks good and you don't notice the back end. The nod still goes to the Cleveland for the overall package for me - I think the matte does an even better job at the visual "trick" - but it's not crazy far off.

If I’m remembering correctly, less but still there.

Back