Review Wilson Staff Launch Pad Irons and Metal Woods

Great info.

I remember the first driver vs driver where Tim Clarke said he didn’t want to market shorter but straighter. I think that is what they are marketing here whether they like it or not.

I remember the first driver vs driver where Tim Clarke said he didn’t want to market shorter but straighter. I think that is what they are marketing here whether they like it or not.

Not ideal, but examine further what are you thinking the reason. Distance is the result of ball speed, launch and spin. What do you think is the culprit?

Not ideal, but examine further what are you thinking the reason. Distance is the result of ball speed, launch and spin. What do you think is the culprit?
Spin. High launch, high spin. I’ll give a spot on example - carry from 114 mph off the 8 iron:

NL 623 - 159.5
F9 - 163.6
2019 p790 - 166
Launch Pad - 158.8

Being a guy who has loved Wilson I have to admit to being disappointed in this offering. I'm not a great golfer but I want to play clubs that look more like "real" clubs.
Perhaps had they been introduced along with a good new traditional club or wedge but this seems to be a white flag. Is this a way to chase begining golfers. I don't believe most THPers dont fall into that space. And if so how do they reach them since they seem to be against advertising beyoung a little social media. Just dont get it.

Being a guy who has loved Wilson I have to admit to being disappointed in this offering. I'm not a great golfer but I want to play clubs that look more like "real" clubs.
Perhaps had they been introduced along with a good new traditional club or wedge but this seems to be a white flag. Is this a way to chase begining golfers. I don't believe most THPers dont fall into that space. And if so how do they reach them since they seem to be against advertising beyoung a little social media. Just dont get it.
I'm not sure but I believe that W/S has roughly a 2 year product cycle. @JB or someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm correct about the replacement cycle then one of the existing irons (V6 possibly?) should receive an update. Since the Launch Pad appears to be an entirely new product for W/S, it might merely be the first new product of the cycle and not the "white flag" as you called it. As I'm sure that you're aware, OEM's don't dump all of their products at once. They like to (hopefully) keep the product buzz going by pacing their release of products.

Duffer, you could be right. I know the brand has great product and I've sung their praises for years. I know I sound like Golidilocks but I dont think this helps a brand who always seems to deal with an image problem.

Perhaps had they been introduced along with a good new traditional club or wedge but this seems to be a white flag. Is this a way to chase begining golfers. I don't believe most THPers dont fall into that space.

Very interesting take.
I believe the Cleveland 588 Altitude thread here on THP had one of the highest post counts ever. And the Atitudes and Launch Pads are very similar irons.

I too scoffed at the Altitudes many years ago when my buddy gamed them. He raved about them for so long that I had to finally try them about 5-6 years ago and I am still gaming them. At the time I was a 19 cap and finished this season around an 8.5.

I’ll take high and straight with a baby draw.

Who knows maybe I will come around in my thinking. I am usually not too contrary in my golf views. I just like what I like.

So I learned a lot today. The first takeaway is that testing 16 irons with about 10 swings is way too much. I tested almost all of the 8 irons and trimmed the 5 iron list way down.

I need to break down the data a bit tonight but here are the snap reactions only for the WS Launch Pad.

8 iron:

ball speed off the face was consistent but not a top performer (not the worst though).

peak height was the highest - I got one to 40 yards. Strangely, the decent angles were only nominally higher than a few others.

Launch was the highest.

Curiously, spin was higher than most. Noticeably higher (like 1000 rpm). But side spin numbers were really low, so plenty of straight shots

sound indoors is just darn loud - TING. It isn’t that bad outdoors but you really hear it indoors.

5 iron:

ball speed was pretty darn good. Spin was still a bit higher than I’d expect and others. Nominally higher launch and straighter flight. Peak height was high still - up to 35 yards.
You get around to it in your posts that I quoted below, I’m a lower spin guy, but I’ve toward ti KBS to help with spin specifically in the Tour Profile (compared to other OEMs) I wonder how a lower spin shaft would work for you in these

Compared to the Turbos, I don’t miss as far left with these as I do those, interesting take

Spin. High launch, high spin. I’ll give a spot on example - carry from 114 mph off the 8 iron:

NL 623 - 159.5
F9 - 163.6
2019 p790 - 166
Launch Pad - 158.8
Thanks for posting these, need to get on a LM and see how my numbers stack up in better conditions- also wou
Very interesting take.
I believe the Cleveland 588 Altitude thread here on THP had one of the highest post counts ever. And the Atitudes and Launch Pads are very similar irons.

I too scoffed at the Altitudes many years ago when my buddy gamed them. He raved about them for so long that I had to finally try them about 5-6 years ago and I am still gaming them. At the time I was a 19 cap and finished this season around an 8.5.

I’ll take high and straight with a baby draw.
I think the difference between these and the Altitudes - the Altitudes were the only show in town.

Now you have Turbos/LP/TRail - the other reviews have mentioned it - the looks are easier to get past at address - but commercially these aren’t the most appealing to the masses.

Gotta like something to give it a chance is my experience with the majority or golfers

Who knows maybe I will come around in my thinking. I am usually not too contrary in my golf views. I just like what I like.
That’s the best part about the game is the choices and the ability to find and game something you prefer, hit them and give them a chance, at address it’s not as bad as it seems

NL 623 - 159.5
F9 - 163.6
2019 p790 - 166
Launch Pad - 158.8
I feel that one thing needs to be made really clear, 160 out of an 8 iron is beyond playable for me. And the ball speed was consistent and the spin was consistent. Oh, and the straightest.

just because they aren’t the longest doesn’t mean they aren’t good.

I feel that one thing needs to be made really clear, 160 out of an 8 iron is beyond playable for me. And the ball speed was consistent and the spin was consistent. Oh, and the straightest.

What ball did you use during testing?

Cut Grey. Brand new out of the sleeve. Same ball for each swing.

I was going to ask if going to a softer ball would help reduce the spin, but Cut Gray is a softer ball right?

I've been saying find me the straightest clubs/ball and I'll play them - we'll find out haha

I've been saying find me the straightest clubs/ball and I'll play them - we'll find out haha

Ok, I’m going to show my ignorance here. When you say they are straight, are you talking about on mishits?

W/S web site says outta stock!! They sell the at quick or just a glitch??

I am starting to learn a bit more about these clubs. Maybe I will come around. Would it make sense to use these in a mixed set with regular clubs from say 8 thru wedge

I am starting to learn a bit more about these clubs. Maybe I will come around. Would it make sense to use these in a mixed set with regular clubs from say 8 thru wedge

I’m sure you could, but is there something specific you feel you’d be sacrificing by having the LP 8-PW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I’m going to show my ignorance here. When you say they are straight, are you talking about on mishits?
Regardless of where I hit them (within reason) they ball was pretty straight. After all the shots, the average “off line” was 9 feet. Darn straight and minimal side spin.

Probably already said in here but I just realized the Launch Pad name comes from DvD Season 2. Huh.
Good idea to bring the name into the lineup. Works perfectly!

Not sure if I'd be giving up anything or not. I thought using LP for longer irons might be better for me than my current irons. I am very comfy with 8-W now.

Define straight? Ben Hogan says straight shots are mishits, you should either hit a draw or a fade.

By straight the lateral miss is more playable than with other irons I’ve gamed
W/S web site says outta stock!! They sell the at quick or just a glitch??
Probably a glitch
Probably already said in here but I just realized the Launch Pad name comes from DvD Season 2. Huh.
Good idea to bring the name into the lineup. Works perfectly!
Glad to know their marketing resonates with someone, plenty of people earlier in here that did not agree with it.
Not sure if I'd be giving up anything or not. I thought using LP for longer irons might be better for me than my current irons. I am very comfy with 8-W now.
What would you like to see improved in the long irons in your current setup.

Could work with some experimenting

Was only asking to see if there was a concern that I could either confirm or deny based on my experience with these so far. A split set could definitely be viable if that’s the route someone wanted to go.

Back