Review Wilson Staff Launch Pad Irons and Metal Woods

Had an awkward 50-60 yard bunker shot today. Took the PW, opened up the face a bit and made a big swing. Ball came out beautifully before hitting the green and ripping back a good ways. I was impressed. Club bounced off the sand perfectly, as the hybrid body makes digging too deep almost impossible.

Also caught a 4 iron a little fat on a tee shot today, only to watch the ball maintain about 85% of the distance I would normally expect. Pretty forgiving considering my divot started at least a full inch before the ball.

I do think these struggle in windy conditions. Ballooning is a definite issue hitting into a wind, when flighting the ball lower isn’t as much of an option for me compared to what I can do with a more traditional iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an awkward 50-60 yard bunker shot today. Took the PW, opened up the face a bit and made a big swing. Ball came out beautifully before hitting the green and ripping back a good ways. I was impressed. Club bounced off the sand perfectly, as the hybrid body makes digging too deep almost impossible.

Also caught a 4 iron a little fat on a tee shot today, only to watch the ball maintain about 85% of the distance I would normally expect. Pretty forgiving considering my divot started at least a full inch before the ball.

I do think these struggle in windy conditions. Ballooning is a definite issue hitting into a wind, when flighting the ball lower isn’t as much of an option for me compared to what I can do with a more traditional iron.

How about George hitting the green with a fat and chunky shot with the Launch Pad’s?

How about George hitting the green with a fat and chunky shot with the Launch Pad’s?

Forgot about that! Had a 78 year old gent playing with us. From a distance he would normally hit his 4 iron, I handed him the 5. He caught it fat and still ended up on the front of the green.

Forgot about that! Had a 78 year old gent playing with us. From a distance he would normally hit his 4 iron, I handed him the 5. He caught it fat and still ended up on the front of the green.

I wish we had him hit more shots with these, he wasn’t long - but he was very consistent- I think he could do some damage with these

any thoughts on why that might be? Is it face construction?
I’m trying to locate my face stickers to see if it’s location of impact. It is very light and the swing weight feels like D0 or so I might be losing the face until I adjust.

I’ve seen about 5mph less from the LP on back to back swings with different drivers. Also definitely not “low spin” but not crazy high.

I couldn’t really flight the ball either - Launch seemed consistent all the time

I’m trying to locate my face stickers to see if it’s location of impact. It is very light and the swing weight feels like D0 or so I might be losing the face until I adjust.

I’ve seen about 5mph less from the LP on back to back swings with different drivers. Also definitely not “low spin” but not crazy high.

Looking forward to this, I’m trying to improve my LM knowledge and what impacts each metric

I couldn’t really flight the ball either - Launch seemed consistent all the time

Samesies - flight is very consistent with these

Looking forward to this, I’m trying to improve my LM knowledge and what impacts each metric

I half expected higher spin because it is a 10.5 loft versus my normal 9 or lower ball speed has me scratching my head, honestly.

I really want to hit these irons out of thick rough. I’ve always had good experiences with hybrids out of the rough but my home course doesn’t have lush rough this time of year. I’m curious if that will be another added benefit

I really want to hit these irons out of thick rough. I’ve always had good experiences with hybrids out of the rough but my home course doesn’t have lush rough this time of year. I’m curious if that will be another added benefit

That is the only thing I don’t think I’ll be able to test with the grass being dormant/cut down up here

Do people love the FY of past? I’ve never used one and I’ve got to admit it’s very intriguing and the lightweight Launch Pad design makes it effortless to swing.

Playing Saturday, anyone want/need any specific thoughts on these from the round?

I've spent a lot of time encouraging higher handicap golfers who struggle with turf interaction to give the Altitudes a try.

Having an additional option, or multiple additional options, at least for golfers is a great thing. Hoping they share or exceed that kind of effectiveness.

Do people love the FY of past? I’ve never used one and I’ve got to admit it’s very intriguing and the lightweight Launch Pad design makes it effortless to swing.

I know @Jman and I both loved it.

I've spent a lot of time encouraging higher handicap golfers who struggle with turf interaction to give the Altitudes a try.

Having an additional option, or multiple additional options, at least for golfers is a great thing. Hoping they share or exceed that kind of effectiveness.

I think it’s great that it’s grown from 1 to 3 and looks are similar but vary enough to cover looks for most golfers.

Time/money wouldn’t mind trying all three with the same shaft

I think it’s great that it’s grown from 1 to 3 and looks are similar but vary enough to cover looks for most golfers.

Time/money wouldn’t mind trying all three with the same shaft
I'm assuming the 3rd is T-Rail. When I was speaking to @JB about them, I liked that they had a real identity of their own. Lots of familiar Cobra tech in there.

Do these present in the same way? I looked at them and immediately thought Altitude.

I know @Jman and I both loved it.
It’s so darn simple of a concept but that 5 wood, 3/4 hybrid spot is a revolving door in my bag and this shape is the best of all worlds.

I wanted to add the FY to the bag but their LH options are limited...their CS said they'd add options after the new year so here's to hoping...

alrighty then - time to get back in on the ball speed issue with the driver. I’ve gotten it resolved (it was me, unsurprisingly). I got it basically right around where my gamer is. It is still a bit below the gamer ball speed but it isn’t by a lot like before.

And the draw bias and extra weight in the heel definitely helps close the face, so if you are looking for lighter weight and struggle to close the face it might be worth a look.

Last edited:
alrighty then - time to get back in on the ball speed issue. I’ve gotten it resolved (it was me, unsurprisingly). I got it basically right around where my gamer is. It is still a bit below the gamer ball speed but it isn’t by a lot like before.

And the draw bias and extra weight in the heel definitely helps close the face, so if you are looking for lighter weight and struggle to close the face it might be worth a look.

thanks for the feedback, I thought it was the club in the SC200 numbers but after the Trackman numbers, I figured I’d leave it to the smarter (you) minds :LOL:

thanks for the feedback, I thought it was the club in the SC200 numbers but after the Trackman numbers, I figured I’d leave it to the smarter (you) minds :LOL:
I should be more clear - i was discussing the driver. I edited the post.

I should be more clear - i was discussing the driver. I edited the post.

the lighter did throw me, figured you just understood it better than I, thanks for clarifying

Is the launch date on these 1/13 ? I’ve yet to see them in the wild.

Is the launch date on these 1/13 ? I’ve yet to see them in the wild.
I’m not sure just yet but I’ll see if I have that information somewhere.

Back