Review Wilson Staff Launch Pad Irons and Metal Woods

No sir, these are final production.

Has anybody answered why the release said satin but they are chrome?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody answered why the release said satin but they are chrome?

Well that is tricky. The release didn't say satin, just the images sent, which were CAD renderings were satin. When I reached out to Wilson, I was told that I had the final production and that it was chrome. There was nothing told to me that it changed to chrome, just that it was chrome.

Agree 100% that a brushed nickel or satin finish would have looked much better.

Yup, I would game those.

It's tough, from a looks/performance/price standpoint I can make these work, but other options are the clear winners in each different class.

As @mpeterson and @Molten said, in hand and at address it really isn't as bad as people are making them out to be.

Well that is tricky. The release didn't say satin, just the images sent, which were CAD renderings were satin. When I reached out to Wilson, I was told that I had the final production and that it was chrome. There was nothing told to me that it changed to chrome, just that it was chrome.

I got ya I mis understood that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if I'm reading it like this, but it sounds like they rushed this release to just be in the space, which is more concerning than any of the other issues people are mentioning in this thread.

I'm not sure if I'm reading it like this, but it sounds like they rushed this release to just be in the space, which is more concerning than any of the other issues people are mentioning in this thread.

I can't answer if this was rushed, although I would doubt it. I do think they definitely wanted to be in the space though.

Have been reading quite a bit of positive social media buzz on this entire line from those that have tried them.

I love all of the options we, as golfers, have and the more companies that put out what could be a little different product than they are used to or we are used to seeing is good for everyone. I may grab one to test when they are up on the wilson website for giggles and if it works I could game these. I'm still on the one length wagon but an extra set for fun isn't out of the question.

Wonder if you rub a green scotch Brite pad on the chrome if you couldn’t make them appear more of a satin finish. I did that with a ping G iron to remove the chrome accents and it ended up looking much better.

Has anyone tried the new Launch Pad driver by any chance? I'm definitely in their target audience (just started breaking 100 semi-regularly about a month ago) and I'm looking to upgrade my driver (currently a used Cobra F8) next year. Not expecting miracles, but I feel like I might be able to do better than my F8 for my "skillset", so definitely curious as to how this driver performs.

People mentioning the top line finish, It’s nothing a little scotch brite pad can’t cure!!

People mentioning the top line finish, It’s nothing a little scotch brite pad can’t cure!!

In my opinion it was more speaking to the image in the article that shows a nice cohesion between face and top at setup

All right, time for another story from my testing. I was only able to get these in the hands of a few other people between the mix of weather and work but I was very surprised to see the players who may benefit from larger heads had never really tried this type of club before. it seemed like outright dismissal of the whole market on one glance - one person said they would never play something chunky like this until they were much older. They only person who was familiar with the shape and could name a competitor club was one of the club pros. I know THPers may be exposed to more (and often seek it out) but I was unaware of the lack of consumer awareness of modern hybrid sets. (Yes, the sample size was small and skewed between ages 30-50).

I think the marketing should be trying till break a stigma that appears to exist among casual players.

All right, time for another story from my testing. I was only able to get these in the hands of a few other people between the mix of weather and work but I was very surprised to see the players who may benefit from larger heads had never really tried this type of club before. it seemed like outright dismissal of the whole market on one glance - one person said they would never play something chunky like this until they were much older. They only person who was familiar with the shape and could name a competitor club was one of the club pros. I know THPers may be exposed to more (and often seek it out) but I was unaware of the lack of consumer awareness of modern hybrid sets. (Yes, the sample size was small and skewed between ages 30-50).

I think the marketing should be trying till break a stigma that appears to exist among casual players.

Isn't it interesting that chunky is okay in a 3 or 4 iron, but not in a 7? Seems very odd to me, but golfers as a general rule don't waiver much...At least by choice.

Isn't it interesting that chunky is okay in a 3 or 4 iron, but not in a 7? Seems very odd to me, but golfers as a general rule don't waiver much...At least by choice.
I’m not sure why I was surprised That people couldn’t name other clubs in the market like these but it was like I was talking another language. I’m no saint though - I was against similar irons based on no information until I had F9 success.

no, golfers do not waiver much.

I’m certainly guilty of this myself. I wouldn’t have even glanced in the direction of these, but ultimately enjoy the launch and forgiveness they afford. It’s a segment of clubs I’ll no longer pass over without consideration.

I’m certainly guilty of this myself. I wouldn’t have even glanced in the direction of these, but ultimately enjoy the launch and forgiveness they afford. It’s a segment of clubs I’ll no longer pass over without consideration.

Agree 100%

Wouldn't touch these in a million years if I wasn't FoFs at Ultimate Weekend and decided to screw around with the Turbos and was going to TRail but we swapped those for P790s.

Performance was insane, seeing some things come back to earth a bit, but overall didn't think this would be a segment I would ENJOY PLAYING but anything that makes the game easier and has me shooting lower scores, sign me up.

"Ego plays a massive role in the products that we buy"

YT hybrid iron comparison Wilson Launch Pad vs. Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo (vs. Ping G410). Now if only the same video was done testing higher handicappers. Definitely worth trying.

Now if only the same video was done testing higher handicappers. Definitely worth trying.

Saw this the other day and thought the same thing. Wished they would have used somebody with a slower swing as well. 170 yd 7i just doesn’t register with my game.

Giving a set of these away before they hit stores.

Giving a set of these away before they hit stores.

Ah very cool. Haven’t seen these in the wild yet. Can’t wait to compare it between the Turbos and T-Rails.

Where do we sign up ?

Thinking about this a bit - I suspect there's a lot of overlap between those who don't like a chunky 7 iron and those who consider the 7 a scoring iron, or at least a club they often pull to hit a green. I think there's a mentality out there that chunky and precise are mutually exclusive, but with improvements in tech that isn't necessarily the case.

I’m getting some data today against nearly every set of irons I own (2 are being excluded for no good reason). Pray for my back. Using 5 iron and 8 iron from each set.

WS Launch Pad
Srixon Z585
Cobra F9
NL 623
Mizuno 919 Tour
TM 2017 p790
TM 2019 p790
Lynx Black Cat

I’m getting some data today against nearly every set of irons I own (2 are being excluded for no good reason). Pray for my back. Using 5 iron and 8 iron from each set.

WS Launch Pad
Srixon Z585
Cobra F9
NL 623
Mizuno 919 Tour
TM 2017 p790
TM 2019 p790
Lynx Black Cat

Can’t wait for the thoughts Molten.

So I learned a lot today. The first takeaway is that testing 16 irons with about 10 swings is way too much. I tested almost all of the 8 irons and trimmed the 5 iron list way down.

I need to break down the data a bit tonight but here are the snap reactions only for the WS Launch Pad.

8 iron:

ball speed off the face was consistent but not a top performer (not the worst though).

peak height was the highest - I got one to 40 yards. Strangely, the decent angles were only nominally higher than a few others.

Launch was the highest.

Curiously, spin was higher than most. Noticeably higher (like 1000 rpm). But side spin numbers were really low, so plenty of straight shots

sound indoors is just darn loud - TING. It isn’t that bad outdoors but you really hear it indoors.

5 iron:

ball speed was pretty darn good. Spin was still a bit higher than I’d expect and others. Nominally higher launch and straighter flight. Peak height was high still - up to 35 yards.

Back