JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
Back in late 2016, Wilson released their Tour V6 irons and they have been the mainstay for their players on the PGA Tour since that time. While the company has come out with numerous options since then, their stable of players including Paddy Harrington and Kevin Streelman have opted to continue to use this set. Today, they are announcing the Wilson Staff Model CB irons, which is inspired by the Tour V6.

Continue reading...

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The 999 price is shockingly pleasant.

If they feel like the V6, then they'll impress, but the look, it reminds me a lot of the Honma releases recently.

It’s an interesting release, and one that feels more like “we are due for this” than anything else necessarily. They do look quite nice though.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
The 999 price is shockingly pleasant.
This is an interesting spot.
Staff Model are listed at more, but are 8 clubs.
As of yesterday (havent checked their site), V6 is listed at the same price as these, but it is for 8 clubs.

They went with a 7 piece set here (which is a smart move).

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This is an interesting spot.
Staff Model are listed at more, but are 8 clubs.
As of yesterday (havent checked their site), V6 is listed at the same price as these, but it is for 8 clubs.

They went with a 7 piece set here (which is a smart move).
Yeah, that’s very true and I missed that. I’m honestly still surprised so many offer 8-piece sets present day.

At least these look like a completed and finished product, now, will they actually market them?

OITW

Contestant in #THPSweep
Reaction score
Handicap
The Clock
Nice write-up JB.

I mean January 15th is a long way away, surprised there is no preorder period. I understand the 7 piece set with additional irons as custom orders.

I don’t understand the Tri-Brace Stabilizer, sounds like they built an iron that needed something techy but corrects a problem in the topline with energy transfers? Sounds more like highway congestion construction.

Looks are okay, price is solid. Stock shaft and grip pairing I’m a fan.

M2Giles

Reaction score
Handicap
8ish
$999 is an excellent price with the number of competing sets pushing $1400 now (though that maybe 8-clubset)

Also shocked to see a 2,3, and G available.

J.B. Cobb III

J.C. 3 Stix
Reaction score
Handicap
I like them! Like @Jman said, they definitely have a “Honma flair” about them. I’m surprised they didn’t offer a combo set with the Staff Model blades. Combo sets seem to be hot right now with other OEMs. Price is decent and the 2,3,&GW availability is nice.

DataDude

Reaction score
Handicap
Good write up @JB

I like how they have such a large cavity. That is a very old school look.

Bryndom

2020 Titleist Vokey Experience Participant
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
Great price on those. They look very very clean. Really good look for Wilson! They've really stepped up their game when it comes to irons. Hopefully they will have similar improvements with the wood categories as well.

J.B. Cobb III

J.C. 3 Stix
Reaction score
Handicap
A good tie-in promotion would be to offer these for pre-sale and give customers a box of Staff Model balls that pre-order. You increase sales and get your new Tour ball in the hands of more people. Seems like a win-win!

X.Man

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.5
Yep! I’m liking everything about this iron! Would have been icing on the cake to offer a combo set with the current staff model blades

troyefl

Jax, FL
Reaction score
Nostalgia with :wilsonstaff:, but these seem to be one of many options out there now and nothing these sets apart.

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
I like what I see here. Price seems fair. They look pretty clean. I think I prefer the look of the v6 a little more. But these still look good.

ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.3
Good price & they look good.

mikeg_74

2015 #TheGrandaddy Alum & 2019 #AssCap
Reaction score
Handicap
Wilson has always made a good looking iron. I wish they could find a way to market themselves better, because they have a lot to offer with their irons.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Wilson has always made a good looking iron. I wish they could find a way to market themselves better, because they have a lot to offer with their irons.
This is the million dollar question.
The Tour V6 were so so so good. So good in fact, like the article states, most of their tour staff is still using them.

There are a lot of competing irons in this class that have just come out or are coming out so the messaging is going to have to be very strong.

jdtox

Team Paradise Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Well they certainly look very good. I can't believe its been 4 years since a new release :oops: then again it is Wilson maybe I shouldn't be surprised

Sox_Fan

BHG Homer
Reaction score
Handicap
Varies
They look nice in the pictures and the price point is solid. Bet these are significantly easier to hit than the butter knife Staff blades I had back in the late 70s! Lol

Kevinhooch

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been playing the V6’s for a few years and nothing has been able to kick them out of the bag despite Club Champions best efforts. Very excited about this long awaited release and plan to order on Jan. 15th from budget with THP’s coupon! Like the Staff Model irons, I’m sure that these will look great in person and like the V6’s, I’m confident that they will feel & perform amazingly.

Rummpd

Reaction score
Handicap
Good looking/very good value clubs that likely perform well.
Question:
The black dot on head In heel area in two pictures - is that a weighting thing like old Calloways or maybe a lighting artifact?

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The black dot on head In heel area in two pictures - is that a weighting thing like old Calloways or maybe a lighting artifact?
It is not a lighting artifact.

SirShives

Iffy about turning 40 in Feb...
Reaction score
Handicap
A good tie-in promotion would be to offer these for pre-sale and give customers a box of Staff Model balls that pre-order. You increase sales and get your new Tour ball in the hands of more people. Seems like a win-win!
Great idea but makes WAY too much sense for WS to actually do it.

SirShives

Iffy about turning 40 in Feb...
Reaction score
Handicap
I agree with everyone so far on the price point. With the BudgetGolf discount, that’s one heck of a deal! I hope these get some market traction and attract a nice following. Of my golfing friends I think I’m the only one who would even consider playing Wilson Staff (most of my bag is WS). Too bad, they make great equipment.

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
This is the million dollar question.
The Tour V6 were so so so good. So good in fact, like the article states, most of their tour staff is still using them.

There are a lot of competing irons in this class that have just come out or are coming out so the messaging is going to have to be very strong.
I know I don't live in a major golf market. But, with that being said, we still have a pretty healthy golfing population. I don't recall seeing a set of Wilson irons on the shelf for who knows how long. I only got to see the V6's because I played with a guy that had them in the bag. I couldn't believe how much better they looked in person and I loved the way they looked in pics I saw.

Wilson won't sell any sets here just for the fact that they're not available. I don't know if that's a matter of the shop seeking Wilson out to carry. Or, if Wilson isn't pushing the issue. I know they had a rack of Triton drivers that didn't sell until they were on closeout. And, a rack full of Cortex drivers that didn't sell until the price dropped significantly. So, I know they have a Wilson account.

Whether it's Wilson not pushing their irons or the shop not wanting to dedicate the shelf space to them, I don't know. But, I imagine that other shops across the country are in a similar spot and Wilson's potential customer base for, what appears to be, a beautiful set of irons is limited. It's a shame too.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in