JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in late 2016, Wilson released their Tour V6 irons and they have been the mainstay for their players on the PGA Tour since that time. While the company has come out with numerous options since then, their stable of players including Paddy Harrington and Kevin Streelman have opted to continue to use this set. Today, they are announcing the Wilson Staff Model CB irons, which is inspired by the Tour V6.

1irons-1024x692.jpg

Nearly 4 years in golf equipment release time is an eternity. Wilson is hopeful that the Staff Model lineage becomes more defined with the extension of a cavity back player’s iron to match the muscle back that has been out for a couple of years and used by Gary Woodland. That brings us to the new

[url=https://www.thehackersparadise.com/wilson-staff-model-cb-irons/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
The 999 price is shockingly pleasant.

If they feel like the V6, then they'll impress, but the look, it reminds me a lot of the Honma releases recently.

It’s an interesting release, and one that feels more like “we are due for this” than anything else necessarily. They do look quite nice though.

• Admin
The 999 price is shockingly pleasant.

This is an interesting spot.
Staff Model are listed at more, but are 8 clubs.
As of yesterday (havent checked their site), V6 is listed at the same price as these, but it is for 8 clubs.

They went with a 7 piece set here (which is a smart move).

This is an interesting spot.
Staff Model are listed at more, but are 8 clubs.
As of yesterday (havent checked their site), V6 is listed at the same price as these, but it is for 8 clubs.

They went with a 7 piece set here (which is a smart move).
Yeah, that’s very true and I missed that. I’m honestly still surprised so many offer 8-piece sets present day.

At least these look like a completed and finished product, now, will they actually market them?

Nice write-up JB.

I mean January 15th is a long way away, surprised there is no preorder period. I understand the 7 piece set with additional irons as custom orders.

I don’t understand the Tri-Brace Stabilizer, sounds like they built an iron that needed something techy but corrects a problem in the topline with energy transfers? Sounds more like highway congestion construction.

Looks are okay, price is solid. Stock shaft and grip pairing I’m a fan.

$999 is an excellent price with the number of competing sets pushing $1400 now (though that maybe 8-clubset)

Also shocked to see a 2,3, and G available.

I like them! Like @Jman said, they definitely have a “Honma flair” about them. I’m surprised they didn’t offer a combo set with the Staff Model blades. Combo sets seem to be hot right now with other OEMs. Price is decent and the 2,3,&GW availability is nice.

Good write up @JB

I like how they have such a large cavity. That is a very old school look.

Great price on those. They look very very clean. Really good look for Wilson! They've really stepped up their game when it comes to irons. Hopefully they will have similar improvements with the wood categories as well.

A good tie-in promotion would be to offer these for pre-sale and give customers a box of Staff Model balls that pre-order. You increase sales and get your new Tour ball in the hands of more people. Seems like a win-win!

Yep! I’m liking everything about this iron! Would have been icing on the cake to offer a combo set with the current staff model blades

Nostalgia with :wilsonstaff:, but these seem to be one of many options out there now and nothing these sets apart.

I like what I see here. Price seems fair. They look pretty clean. I think I prefer the look of the v6 a little more. But these still look good.

Good price & they look good.

Wilson has always made a good looking iron. I wish they could find a way to market themselves better, because they have a lot to offer with their irons.

Wilson has always made a good looking iron. I wish they could find a way to market themselves better, because they have a lot to offer with their irons.

This is the million dollar question.
The Tour V6 were so so so good. So good in fact, like the article states, most of their tour staff is still using them.

There are a lot of competing irons in this class that have just come out or are coming out so the messaging is going to have to be very strong.

Well they certainly look very good. I can't believe its been 4 years since a new release :oops: then again it is Wilson maybe I shouldn't be surprised

They look nice in the pictures and the price point is solid. Bet these are significantly easier to hit than the butter knife Staff blades I had back in the late 70s! Lol

I have been playing the V6’s for a few years and nothing has been able to kick them out of the bag despite Club Champions best efforts. Very excited about this long awaited release and plan to order on Jan. 15th from budget with THP’s coupon! Like the Staff Model irons, I’m sure that these will look great in person and like the V6’s, I’m confident that they will feel & perform amazingly.

Good looking/very good value clubs that likely perform well.
Question:
The black dot on head In heel area in two pictures - is that a weighting thing like old Calloways or maybe a lighting artifact?

The black dot on head In heel area in two pictures - is that a weighting thing like old Calloways or maybe a lighting artifact?

It is not a lighting artifact.

A good tie-in promotion would be to offer these for pre-sale and give customers a box of Staff Model balls that pre-order. You increase sales and get your new Tour ball in the hands of more people. Seems like a win-win!
Great idea but makes WAY too much sense for WS to actually do it.

I agree with everyone so far on the price point. With the BudgetGolf discount, that’s one heck of a deal! I hope these get some market traction and attract a nice following. Of my golfing friends I think I’m the only one who would even consider playing Wilson Staff (most of my bag is WS). Too bad, they make great equipment.

This is the million dollar question.
The Tour V6 were so so so good. So good in fact, like the article states, most of their tour staff is still using them.

There are a lot of competing irons in this class that have just come out or are coming out so the messaging is going to have to be very strong.
I know I don't live in a major golf market. But, with that being said, we still have a pretty healthy golfing population. I don't recall seeing a set of Wilson irons on the shelf for who knows how long. I only got to see the V6's because I played with a guy that had them in the bag. I couldn't believe how much better they looked in person and I loved the way they looked in pics I saw.

Wilson won't sell any sets here just for the fact that they're not available. I don't know if that's a matter of the shop seeking Wilson out to carry. Or, if Wilson isn't pushing the issue. I know they had a rack of Triton drivers that didn't sell until they were on closeout. And, a rack full of Cortex drivers that didn't sell until the price dropped significantly. So, I know they have a Wilson account.

Whether it's Wilson not pushing their irons or the shop not wanting to dedicate the shelf space to them, I don't know. But, I imagine that other shops across the country are in a similar spot and Wilson's potential customer base for, what appears to be, a beautiful set of irons is limited. It's a shame too.

Back