That is the million dollar question. If you go into Super Store and see these next to Mizuno MP20 and they are $200 less than those Mizunos does it make you want to try them out? Or is there an assumption of lesser quality?

Sadly price brings quality into the fray (see putters), but it can be rebuked with solid marketing and good media relationships to relay that messaging and test products.
I am always intrigued to see why golfers go in the direction they do - Obviously you need something to get excited it.. Is it the product, the company, the presentation in advertisements... There has to be a little extra something, right?

They do look pretty good. Interesting shaft choice. Not in a bad way, but they have been using KBS shafts since around the m5 line up i think?

Im sure it doesn't mean much, but with how Wilson has been going as of late, any change like that makes me take notice and wonder what caused that change.

I read on another site that Wilson stated the lack of polish in some areas of the club are due to limitations presented by the cavity back shape.

Good spin...:ROFLMAO:

Are there any top line photos of these?

Wilson making a good iron isn't big news. Now, deal with the elephant in the room. Bring out a great driver.

I think price is really their only selling point here. I would like to see more technology and advancements with having a four year gap between releases. It seems like they just moved the weight to the toe and then added the "tri-based stablilizer". As mentioned in the article the stabilizer seems like something that is already offered on a lot of clubs in one version or another. It just seems like not much to get excited about when some form of the tri based technology is going to be on a lot of previous year models starting in 2021. Kind of mutes the price advantage.

Those are some nice looking irons. I can overlook the rough finish in the cavity back... that can maybe be addressed with a little sanding.

I think the Wilson Staff shield needs to have color fill... white and red. I think that's missing. And I'm happy to see lefty is offered in all clubs.(y)

But 4 years between releases? That's a long time. I hope they sell well

I think price is really their only selling point here. I would like to see more technology and advancements with having a four year gap between releases. It seems like they just moved the weight to the toe and then added the "tri-based stablilizer". As mentioned in the article the stabilizer seems like something that is already offered on a lot of clubs in one version or another. It just seems like not much to get excited about when some form of the tri based technology is going to be on a lot of previous year models starting in 2021. Kind of mutes the price advantage.
Not trying to discount your view in any way shape or form. But, in some sense, an iron is an iron and doesn't need a ton of technology thrown in to give the desired effect. There are a lot of options out there that have really tried to push the envelope on technology. But, I think there is still room for a club that is just trying to be a classic, solid feeling iron, more traditional take.

Not trying to discount your view in any way shape or form. But, in some sense, an iron is an iron and doesn't need a ton of technology thrown in to give the desired effect. There are a lot of options out there that have really tried to push the envelope on technology. But, I think there is still room for a club that is just trying to be a classic, solid feeling iron, more traditional take.

The Taylormade MC irons are not packed with tech, and those are basically a 3 month wait if you want a set. So, yeah. There is a market for a classic iron.

I would think many have fond memories of the V6 quality... What kills me (mentally) is the 'rough' finish in the cavity.

View attachment 8971281

My Wilson V4's had that same rough finish look on the back too. I thought that was a beautiful looking iron. Maybe these will look better in person. I wish I kept my set.

They do look pretty good. Interesting shaft choice. Not in a bad way, but they have been using KBS shafts since around the m5 line up i think?

Im sure it doesn't mean much, but with how Wilson has been going as of late, any change like that makes me take notice and wonder what caused that change.

Wilson V4 stock shaft was True Temper Dynamic Gold DG Pro.

Anyways, the CB lofts look to be 1 degree stronger than the V4 and V6 lofts.

Moved some tungsten around and added stabilizer bars. Still kept the looks of a good iron though. I'm actually a bit excited for them TBH. 999 price is rather interesting for what they have going on.

I agree 100%. I probably should have stated my opinion a little better because it was more about improvement than technology. With a four year time gap between models I guess I was just looking for something a little more drastic than we moved some tungsten and created our own version of something all the other iron makers already have on market. If Wilson wants to increase market share, I feel like they need to show how they are different and just as good if not better.

My Wilson V4's had that same rough finish look on the back too. I thought that was a beautiful looking iron. Maybe these will look better in person. I wish I kept my set.

Wilson V4 stock shaft was True Temper Dynamic Gold DG Pro.

Anyways, the CB lofts look to be 1 degree stronger than the V4 and V6 lofts.

oh ya you're right. I forgot they did the DG pro in that set and I believe their blades have always been s300 as well.

It is a good looking iron. Price seems in line with other brands.

I agree 100%. I probably should have stated my opinion a little better because it was more about improvement than technology. With a four year time gap between models I guess I was just looking for something a little more drastic than we moved some tungsten and created our own version of something all the other iron makers already have on market. If Wilson wants to increase market share, I feel like they need to show how they are different and just as good if not better.
I can appreciate that. I don't mind seeing minor progressive changes personally even if it took 4 years. Especially in the players CB lineup. If I look at models like the P7MC or Mizuno 921 Tours, I don't see anything drastically different than what they've been doing in the past.

They won't make it to the market I'm in but I'd love to see them in person and try them, especially at that price (y)

The biggest question that appears from THPers is how will they handle it from here? Irons are now known, have pretty positive comments.

They are not available for 3 months. Will they have good messaging and remain in the spotlight or fade away?

Nice looking clubs. Prob will pair nicely with the blades

Interesting launch.

There has to be an assumption that players will have these out on tour in the bag already, otherwise what would be the reason to launch 3 months early with no pre-order.

Back