Well that looks quite subdued.

Interested to see what the final product looks like.

I realize it’s one picture, that said, I mean how do you even answer this it’s boring blah if looks could kill there’s nothing that screams buy me.

I think that looks dull.

This hit the conforming list this morning as a prototype. Could be a new lineup called Wilson Labs. Could be a new Staff Model.

What are your thoughts?

View attachment 8948092

I see 4 stars on the toe, "The General"?

Looks don't do a lot for me. Would expect some changes from the prototype to be for the masses (higher loft, different/better colors). With that said, I would game it if it's the best for me. But honestly I would game a rock tied to a piece of rebar if it made me play better.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

I bet Streelman bags it for 1 or 2 weeks.

I always found it interesting that a brand like Wilson gets bashed for their tour players using other companies woods, but other brands like Srixon, Mizuno, Bridgestone and others not so much. Why do people think that Is?

I always found it interesting that a brand like Wilson gets bashed for their tour players using other companies woods, but other brands like Srixon, Mizuno, Bridgestone and others not so much. Why do people think that Is?

Driver Vs Driver. The 4 horseman gushed over the Cortex on TV and we’re part of the feedback process. Yet two years in a row none of them gamed either the Triton or Cortex.

I think Luke Donald when he was #1 used a TM driver and took some heat over it. Then again maybe not as he was one of the shortest drivers on tour.

Driver Vs Driver. The 4 horseman gushed over the Cortex on TV and we’re part of the feedback process. Yet two years in a row none of them gamed either the Triton or Cortex.

I genuinely see that as no different than having Luke Donald in a Mizuno ad or Keegan in a Srixon ad, etc, right? I think its possible to love a product and play a different one. I might be in the minority though.

They hop in and out of products and if you are a smaller brand, without a tour truck there every week, it will be hard to keep them. I remember years ago TaylorMade wanted a player using their driver. The player agreed to test it against his own (Bridgestone) and it didnt win. So the next week they came back with 5 different heads (protos) to try.

It looks pretty boring. I don’t understand why they would not include a fade/draw bias weighting system when they are struggling for driver/wood sales. It seems like you’d want to be able to fit as many people as possible.

That looks pretty boring to me but I'll reserve final judgement until real pictures come out.

I have to believe that the company who made Cortex look pretty wont let this thing go out of the gates butt ugly. Of course I would not have thought they'd screw up The Staff Ball launch. So there is that.

I have to believe that the company who made Cortex look pretty wont let this thing go out of the gates butt ugly. Of course I would not have thought they'd screw up The Staff Ball launch. So there is that.

Curious your thoughts on the look of Launch Pad?

prototype or not, that thing looks extremely generic.. now I see why they have the driver vs driver show to put out a good driver lol. Maybe colors would change my mind but based on that pic I dont see it doing well

Wilson struggles enough already with woods which is a shame bc the Cortex is an incredible driver

Maybe proto for Woodland? What loft does he play? Those 4 stars around the toe seem like something he'd have on a driver.

Before the US Open last year he was in an M3 440 turned down to 7* so this could be for him.
I see 4 stars on the toe, "The General"?

4 stars are likely for Chicago.

Curious your thoughts on the look of Launch Pad?
I hit the hybrid FY of the Launch Pad series just before stores closed back in March. In visual comparison to other new hybrids from TE, Cobra, Hogan and others I thought it was at best ok. Further, I really felt it was a me too product versus what Cobra and Cleveland produced and promoted in a similar series. I totally don't see the driver selling. It looked more like something from the Wilson boxed line.

Last edited:

I think Bridgestone is the exception of those three. The club push hasn't been significant lately with more focus on reclaiming market share with the Ball.

Srixon and Mizuno I think are in a similar camp as Wilson. I know a lot of people that say I won't play any of those brands woods since their pros dont play them. Mizuno and Srixon have significantly increased play on tour getting TM (predominantly) out of bags. On both staffs pretty much all of their big names have at least one wood (generally driver) in play from their main sponsor.

Wilson to me feels like where Srixon and Mizuno were just a few years ago. Unquestionably, everyone will agree they make great irons. Woods on the other hand are solid performers but have some psychological baggage that they are still in the process of overcoming. But I think Wilson is on the right path.

Honestly, if that driver performs well I could get behind the understated sole design.

I have owned several Wilson woods. Currently, C300, Triton and a FG5 3 wood. My first driver from a boxed set was theirs. I dId draw the line at buying one with a Whale on it. Metal woods began being used in the 1980's. Imagine being in the business and not being relevant for that long. In contrast there is Srixon and Mizuno The Japanese brands have a perception of quality. I think folks feel W/S woods are cheap in comparison. I don't feel that way but I don't get why Wilson doesn't "get it" The irons are excellent. Real players, which I don't pretend to be, must enjoy the rush of hitting metal woods. I practice several times a week and stand beside really good players on the range.I have never seen a Wilson wood in a bag.

I'll agree the WLabs part is the most interesting thing about this picture.

Poor Wilson. They've had so many "right" decisions tank for them. They need to catch a break one of these days.

Gary Woodland was a break. Just don't think they maxed it out. Seems like a dude you'd want to drink beer with.

It is hard to tell how it is going to look without seeing it from address. I don't care that much what the bottom of the club looks like.

Could it be that in recent history those companies have proven track records in other areas? Mizuno players seem to putting the driver in play more and more. Bridgestone is barely a club company any more. Also, people just like to bash on Wilson I think.

That being said, I am hearing this is a one off driver specific to a player. My guess would be Woodland, but I don't know that. He is in a featured group tomorrow so maybe we will see then.

The timing of it hitting the conforming list would make sense if that was the case.

Back