Wilson Staff Model R Golf Balls

Interesting concept.. Not sure a thin paint coverage really matters that much. Wonder if these will sell.

You know, if sit long enough and stare at the 3 golf balls under UV light, I kind of see where they are going with the message. The problem is that I don't fully buy into that message. They are a little to firm on the scale for me anyhow. I wonder if they will filter this down into their professional line?

$50 a dozen??!!?? this market is so tough to break into and at that price point I would have to imagine they get overlooked for more proven brands.
Let's make a normal premium ball, skip the last step of production, and increase the price. Brilliant!

It’s been a few months since WIlson gave us The Baller Box which produced pages of amusement for THP. Just when things were getting a bit boring along comes WIlson again to further bewilder us. You guys sure keep things lively.

Wow. That's incredible Bridgestone. So what ball manufacturers paint their balls? I thought I saw Callaway paint when I visited the factory a few years ago during a THP event.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow. Just wow. When I worked in product development, it was SOP to evaluate competitive products to see what they were doing and how, as well as patent and literature searches. If you're even slightly skilled in the art, you usually know what you're looking at:
  • We once paid a supplier to characterize a sample we had received from a prospective source. We labeled the sample generically, with a laboratory notebook sample ID. Their report came back titled, "Chinese Resin." Which it was.
  • A GE Lighting exec was touring another division HQ, when he in no uncertain terms told his host to remove a Sylvania bulb lighting a display case (it was the only SYlvania light bulb in the building - the local hardware store had sold out of GE bulbs, and the maintenance guys didn't think it would matter to buy a Sylvania bulb just once.)
It's stunning to me that Wilson either didn't know about Bridgestone's process or didn't think there would be pushback.

Bridgestone doesn't paint, but I believe they do clear coat. Whether that's considered painting might be one for the courts to decide. Regardless, the potential for uneven finish still exists I suppose.

I think Wilson would have been wise to focus on the increased wedge spin aspect of the raw urethane surface. The image showing how poorly W/S balls are painted puts the focus on their own quality control. I really don't think that's the message they want to send. "Look how poorly we paint our most expensive balls" is what I see here.

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 9.35.28 PM.png

Seems like the biggest improvement Wilson could make right now is to fire everybody in decision-making positions in their golf division and start from scratch. They're a flaming dumpster fire on top of a train wreck into a hazmat truck.

They may have tested the impact without paint and determined it is better and now are trying to see if the market might adopt. I have never noticed a performance difference from a raw wedge but people love them.

Regarding adoption I think Wilson is in a tough spot in the premium ball market. Between Titleist, Srixon, Taylor Made, Bridgestone and Callaway the high end premium ball market is pretty crowded. They definitely need to do something to differentiate themselves. If they can get someone to play it on tour and have success with it that would definitely help. The other option is price and the $45 price doesn't seem like a substantial enough difference to grab market share.

I'm convinced that there's someone within Wilson Staff that's listening to their good idea fairy and forging ahead... without supervisory approval.

The photo above leads me to believe that Wilson Staff is admitting that they have quality control issues with the paint on their golf balls and, instead of fixing that, eliminate it on one offering and sell it... while leaving the rest alone.

All of this is being done under the spectre of badly applied paint "MAY" cause issues.

Not sure if they are trying to effect some damage control but today I received an email with the following ad from Wilson. Looks like they are now implying the Wilson Staff paint process is better than everyone else's process. They do need to proofread their ad copy though (the period after "perfectly even" should be a comma lol).
1605713773987.png

^ Yep, damage control. Good luck putting that toothpaste back in the tube.

Last edited:
Not sure if they are trying to effect some damage control but today I received an email with the following ad from Wilson. Looks like they are now implying the Wilson Staff paint process is better than everyone else's process. They do need to proofread their ad copy though (the period after "perfectly even" should be a comma lol).
View attachment 8974769

They're in such a hurry they didn't even. Proof it for punctuation

I always wondered what happened to the guys behind New Coke.

Who ordered?

the folks are likely to place more importance on a new ball scuffing up and getting dirty (which is likely without paint) than noticing any apparent performance improvement of RAW. Just give us soft feeling balls that go miles in the direction we desire and are in many pretty colors.

Earlier this year, Wilson launched a new golf ball called Staff Model, complete with what they called a Baller Box subscription. Within just a few short days, the subscription service was scrapped, but the Staff Model golf ball remained their current premium product in line.

Today, they are launching an extension to that line with the Staff Model R. Conjuring up images of Gordon Ramsay, R stands for RAW! Yes, that’s right, Raw golf balls. You are probably asking yourself “why”, so we will get to that before getting into the nuts and bolts of the product.

Continue reading...
Its certainly an interesting idea, although I still believe its mostly marketing BS. If you really think that a paper thin layer of paint can make the difference between splitting the fairway and hitting it into the woods, well...LOL.
The $50 price tag doesnt bother me. Its a tour ball and $50ish is the going price for a name brand tour ball these days.

If they really wanted to make a dent in the marketplace, they would market the hell out of their Duo Professional model. Low (60) compression, urethane cover, and various colors available. And reduce the price from $ 35 to $30.

If they really wanted to make a dent in the marketplace, they would market the hell out of their Duo Professional model. Low (60) compression, urethane cover, and various colors available. And reduce the price from $ 35 to $30.
Nothing says confusion like a 3 piece ball called Duo. 😀

Take a wait and see on this one as so many good other balls on market - I will say that someone analyzed the balls Nicklaus won and found them highly variable. All top tier balls have advanced so much.I personally am leaning to getting a Bridgestone ball fitting next Spring at a local course that has pro shop stocked with their products (excellent course called Worthington Manor near Frederick MD that has had state am) as so many good players in DC area have gone that route - but might try a WS later.

Ok, my expectations have been lowered... the people working the ad copy at Wilson Staff or whomever they're contracted out to provide this service are idiots.

Now, I'm in it just to watch the train wreck and back pedaling.:ROFLMAO:

Interesting note I found on google... Wilson Staff made 100 years in business in 2014. They literally could not pay players to use their equipment. There was an article on amateurgolf.com with the head of Wilson golf in 2014...

Ok, my expectations have been lowered... the people working the ad copy at Wilson Staff or whomever they're contracted out to provide this service are idiots.

Now, I'm in it just to watch the train wreck and back pedaling.:ROFLMAO:

Interesting note I found on google... Wilson Staff made 100 years in business in 2014. They literally could not pay players to use their equipment. There was an article on amateurgolf.com with the head of Wilson golf in 2014...
THP has also had him at multiple events. THP’ers have had full access to ask questions as well.

Back