Wilson Staff Model Utility Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The new Utility irons from Wilson staff are here and we have full details on the home page.

Good write up @JB. Those are really nice looking. I like the detail on the slight cavity on the top of the face. Anyone going to review one of these and talk performance?

• Admin
Good write up @JB. Those are really nice looking. I like the detail on the slight cavity on the top of the face. Anyone going to review one of these and talk performance?

I know we will be having a full THP Review done. I have a feeling there will be quite a bit of forum member feedback as well, once these hit their website, Budget Golf, etc.

I have the Srixon ZU85 18* in my bag and absolutely love it - would be interested to see the Wilson next to the Srixon to compare, but I don't see a huge amount of difference in general between them and am guessing the look at address would be fairly similar?

If I was in the hunt for a new utility iron this would be on the radar for a look

• Admin
8BBE0BDD-83EE-41AA-B000-C1AA947E6BFE.jpeg

Pretty piece of metal. Small detail but seems like Wilson has normally used Lamkin grips but GP on this one

Another solid option for those who prefer these types of clubs to fill the bag versus a hybrid or a traditional long iron.

Wilson nailed it on the looks imo.

One thing no one can deny, when it comes to irons and such, W/S is making some beautiful clubs. This one looks like fun to hit.

Nice write-up JB.

They nailed it in the looks department - the weight placement for launch is very important to a lower launching player like myself.

Do they offer additional weights so one can tinker?

I’ve had a hollow bodied utility iron or two in my bag for over 20 years and this one looks beautiful. I’d love to try it out and see how it compares to my 18* Epic Forged 4 iron.

A great looking club to say the least

I might be alone here but I don’t love the part that looks like it has lead tape on it already. Otherwise it looks good

Nice write-up JB.

They nailed it in the looks department - the weight placement for launch is very important to a lower launching player like myself.

Do they offer additional weights so one can tinker?
I’d love to know about the weights too - the big story they appear to be telling is about launch optimization but if it’s one size fits all, seems counter intuitive

Nice write up! That is a great looking club.

@JB could you post a picture of the utility with the blade iron? I am curious to see how they blend together. Good information in the write up! Thank you.

Nice write up @JB. I wonder what it would b like to hit a 15* iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d love to know about the weights too - the big story they appear to be telling is about launch optimization but if it’s one size fits all, seems counter intuitive

I’m curious how many utilities do offer a multitude of weights? The optimization was adding weight to raise launch.

with that said this would not be ahed

@JB could you post a picture of the utility with the blade iron? I am curious to see how they blend together. Good information in the write up! Thank you.

pretty much like any other utility blending wise. While this is not the Staff blade, the size is similar

17701244-A6CB-4C3A-B3DA-2A8164F3BC33.jpeg

Liking the looks and liking the price point.

I’m curious how many utilities do offer a multitude of weights? The optimization was adding weight to raise launch.

with that said this would not be ahed

I don’t understand the last part but to your question, none or not many. But that could have been the real value add here. They look like removable weights but I’m guessing they won’t be.

I don’t understand the last part but to your question, none or not many. But that could have been the real value add here. They look like removable weights but I’m guessing they won’t be.

Typo should have said hard. It wouldn't be hard.

It definitely could have been a value add. If it were me, I would have brought this as coming with a kit with 4 weights. The standard that is installed, and 3 additional for fitting of ball flight. Diving deeper though, the utility club is very much still a niche club. Very few golfers are going to hit it too low, so adding one that is in place to assist the design makes sense.

As someone who plays utility irons, that is a clean looking utility. Will be interested to give it a try if I ever find one in stores

Had the chance to test this iron out the other day and absolutely loved it. Very similar to my gamer in many ways, and the design is gorgeous.

Looks great, would be fun to try, especially since it's been a few years since I've tried this style of club.

It would seem that a club like this should be on a demo program. It wont be everywhere so make it easy to try.

Back