Wilson Staff Performance Cart Bag 2012 Review

flix

banter Viking!
Reaction score
Handicap
EGA 14.6
Today i received my new W/S cart bag that a friend of mine gave me after a little incident involving a speeding ticket. Unfortunately this is a European release only as far as i know (and as i've understood from W/S homepage) and i have no clue if W/S is intending to release it in the US. But i thought i would share my thoughts with those who are interested and for the euro-THP:ers.

Info from Wilson Staff:s homepage:

Wilson Staff performance cart bags provide a full range of storage for the performance player's golf equipment - complete with 14 full length dividers for compartmentalising your club set.

· Exclusive 10" top handles with 14 full length dividers
· Large clothing pockets
· Magnetic closure range finder pocket
· Side lift handles
· Side umbrella sleeve
· Carabineer towel hook
· Eyelets for pocket ventilation
· Magnetic closure range finder pocket
· Unique trolley base build in groove to fit/lock with the bottom bracket of the trolley
· Detachable padded strap
· Strap loop
· Padded travel / rain hood
· Weight 12.3Lb / 5.6Kg

My initial thoughts:

The first thing that struck me was how beautiful this bag is. I love the combination of colors and i think W/S has hit a homerun in the looks department. And i also think it will fit very well to my white Clicgear 3.0 in this aspect. The bag comes as white/black and black/white options (mine is black/white and shown in the pictures below).

Since this is my first bag with a 14 way full length divider that feature rocks. My clubs doesn't tangle up or get stuck in each other as i use them or move them around. The problem here is that the bag doesn't have a reversed top which i would have liked since i will use this bag on my push cart. A reversed top will in my opinion make it easier to access the clubs both placed in a cart or on a push cart.

When it comes to pockets this bag is a bit low on them... actually, my old Taylormade Hybrid 2.0 bag had more spacing than this. The two big clothing pockets isn't as big as one would think. In my old bag i could fit a pair of shoes in the big pocket but barely in this. The pocket opening is too tight on the W/S bag so it's hard to put the shoes inside the pocket and zipper is hard to close when the shoes are placed inside the pocket. I know that not everyone puts their shoes in the big pockets, but i just used it as a comparison. I also want to add that the rain cover will use up about half a big pocket if you bring it on your round. Beside the two big pockets there are one semi-big for your golf balls, a small padded one for valuables and another pocket just a tad bigger than the small one and it's intended to be used as a range finder pocket. This pocket has been fitted with a magnetic closure system that works really well. My problem is that coming from a smaller stand bag which had a lot of small pockets all over the bag, the W/S bag is a bit of a disappointment. Previously i could put papers, notebook in one small pocket, tee's in another, gloves, keys, cell phone, everything had its own place. But at the moment it's all jammed up in the few pockets that the bag has and i would never fit a range finder in that special range finder pocket since i have to use it for other stuff. One thing that i will miss is the cooler pocket that my stand bag had. So i think this bag lacks pockets as you would understand and in this area W/S have big room for improvement.

If you are planning on using this bag in a cart it has a neat cart strap loop. You can "unhook" the top of the range finder pocket and place the strap between the pocket and the bag. And my impression is that this will secure the bag good unless you drive that cart like a madman. I haven't yet tried to put the bag on my push cart so i will get back to you on that, so i don't know how the "unique trolley base" is working right now. Over all i think the build quality feels good and it will be interesting to see how it holds up after some usage. The rain cover has a zipper that you can open from both ends. This means you can open it from the top when attached to the bag and get your clubs out of the bag without the need to remove it completely or open the zipper all the way. I like the idea of this and i'll see how it works later on as i get out on the course.

The bag delivers what is promised from W/S, but nothing more. They need to add more small pockets and not just have a few big ones that everything will get lost in. Maybe throw in a cooler pocket, an external putter well and make that top a reversed one to compete with other products in the same price range.

If you have any questions or if you want more pictures of something specific on the bag feel free to ask me.

Here are a few pictures that i took right after i unpacked the bag.
Photo2012-03-08194706.jpg

Photo2012-03-08194722.jpg

Photo2012-03-08194848.jpg

Nice review Flix! Looks almost like a mini staff bag with the materials and such. Kinda disappointing to read about the lack of storage space but I like the 14 way divider up top. I agree that this will look really sharp on the white Clicgear!

beautiful looking bag, simple and nice colors to it.

Nice review Flix! Looks almost like a mini staff bag with the materials and such. Kinda disappointing to read about the lack of storage space but I like the 14 way divider up top. I agree that this will look really sharp on the white Clicgear!

Exactly, it is plastic but when i look at it here i get the impression it is leather. And yes, i am a bit disappointed that there is so little space in it. I only looked at the picture when my friend told me he'd bought me one so i expected a bit more actually. Wish i hadn't done that lol.

beautiful looking bag, simple and nice colors to it.

K.I.S.S. and you'll get a great result.

Man my FG Tour V2's would look great in that thing. Love the 14 way divider on a bag that looks more mike a mini staff bag than a cart bag. Thanks for sharing.

The good thing for me is that the Clicgear has space for tee's and such so I don't think i will suffer too much in the end.

Man my FG Tour V2's would look great in that thing. Love the 14 way divider on a bag that looks more mike a mini staff bag than a cart bag. Thanks for sharing.

Yes they would!

Tappin' for world peace in HD!

sharp looking bag, thats for sure!

Flix, that bag is sweet! Good on your friend for hooking you up!

Flix, that bag is sweet! Good on your friend for hooking you up!

Indeed! Now I just need to fill the bag with new clubs! :D

Tappin' for world peace in HD!

Sweet looking bag bro!

Nice review. Like the black & grey, not so much on the white.

Hopefully they'll release it in the US - this is a good looking bag!

Nice looking bag dude.

A definite beauty. WOW!!

TV!!!! Sweet bag brother! Awesome write up too. Thanks fro sharing.

I like!

Nice wright up and a beauty of a bag looks like some forged v2's would finish the look.

Tnx all. And my pleasure to share it with you. I think that the more gear reviews we get on THP, the better it will be and hopefully it will help THP to grow.

Hopefully they'll release it in the US - this is a good looking bag!

Why dont you send Wilson Staff an e-mail and ask them if they are planning to?

Thanks for sharing. I really like the look of wilsons bags. I have the staff bag myself and this one is just as good looking.

I love the almost old school look and finish. Very nice. Awesome job on the review!

Just throwing in another pic here when i've put some clubs in the bag.

Photo2012-03-10145327.jpg

Looks good flix

I just tried the bag on my Clicgear 3.0 today for the first time. Works flawless. You'll have to put the top bag strap in the cart strap "folder" behind the top pocket though, because otherwise it wont work. But i like it as it is and you dont have to see the top strap. But i dont think a lot of people bothers with that anyway.

I bet those Ci11s look quite nice in there, eh flix?

Back