Wind Effect on the ball

SHIFTY

Orgasm Donor
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I never judge the wind correctly so figured I'd ask you guys.
Lets make some easy parameters;
All shots are on flat ground with minimal side spin
All Carry distances wanted

1. shooting 100 yards with 10mph/16kmh wind in your face, how much do you club up for carry distance?
2. shooting 100 yards with 20mph/32kph wind in your face, how much do you club up for carry distance?
3. shooting 150 yards with 10mph/16kmh wind in your face?
4. shooting 150 yards with 20mph/32kph wind in your face?
5. shooting 200 yards with 10mph/16kmh wind in your face?
6. shooting 200 yards with 20mph/32kph wind in your face?

Is it the same yardage for wind at your back for carry?

Thanks. Most times I'm just guessing, and am looking for a more scientific way at judging at the wind.

I think that is kind of tough to answer. Depends on your how high you hit the ball for one. A guy that hits them high is going to see more wind effects then a guy that can keep his flight down low.

Simple way is 1 club for every 10mph of wind either way but there is variables to that also.
Height of shot, is the biggest factor for sure. Also when that wind is at your back, at 20mph it can sometimes knock the ball down quicker.

1. shooting 100 yards with 10mph/16kmh wind in your face, how much do you club up for carry distance?
2. shooting 100 yards with 20mph/32kph wind in your face, how much do you club up for carry distance?

Thanks. Most times I'm just guessing, and am looking for a more scientific way at judging at the wind.

1. shooting 100 yards with 10mph/16kmh wind in your face, how much do you club up for carry distance? - Play it normal to MAYBE about 5 more yards. 10mph isn't much from here at all honestly.
2. shooting 100 yards with 20mph/32kph wind in your face, how much do you club up for carry distance? - one extra club
3. shooting 150 yards with 10mph/16kmh wind in your face? Maybe 1 club
4. shooting 150 yards with 20mph/32kph wind in your face? 1 to 1 1/2 clubs, probably pull 2 higher and flight down.
5. shooting 200 yards with 10mph/16kmh wind in your face? Maybe 1 club
6. shooting 200 yards with 20mph/32kph wind in your face? 2 clubs if wind is steady

10 is honestly not much though. Probably wouldn't feel like much more than a steady breeze. 20 is getting more towards wind that is actually affecting shots more. And like others have mentioned, it's also going to matter how high and how much spin you put on the ball.

Is it the same yardage for wind at your back for carry? - no. It always affects you more coming at you from my experience. sometimes wind at your back can actually knock the shot down a little.

Hit and hope... it depends on your ball flight.

- 52* would be my 100yd so i'd go punch 9i 40*

(2) clubs up 9i

- normal 7i 31* flighted

- 1 club up flighted 6i 27*

18* 5 wood and hope it gets there

18* 5 wood and hope it gets there

All of these kinda depend on where the pin is and what’s in trouble short of the green. It could be a shot flighted lower, it could be one club up and punched, could be two clubs higher full swing.

I play an Oceanside course so wind is often a factor. I couldn’t tell you about wind speeds as I gauge it whilst I’m out there. I do find, for me, the wind has much more effect when I’m playing into it than when the wind is helping me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One club for every 10 mph. However, once I get to 200 yds, it's the 4H no matter what because that's the longest club I've got that I can get in the air off the deck. In any event I'm going to try to keep the ball down and hit more of a punch shot.

Holy maths needed.

For #1, #3, and #5 I will take 1 extra club.
#2, #4, and #6 I will take 2 extra.

I generally will ignore for wind at my back unless it is a very strong wind.
Even then though, I think that wind against has a much much greater affect on a shot than wind behind.

I don't carry a wind speed gauge on course, so I have no idea what 10 or 20 mph winds actually are. I pretty much wing it. (y) Truth. Honest Answer.

EDIT: My method - light-medium wind. Consider one club more. Strong wind might need two or more if its really severe.

Ya I'm guessing as well. If it's 10mph I've been adding 10 yards, 20mph 20yards. Guessing.
I can see what everyone else is saying about trajectory being a factor as well.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I may clip down one or just flight it down to pierce the wind. Just depends on the hole and wind direction. Wind is tough , some days ya make the right call and some you don’t.

Back