NorthVanMike

Reaction score
Handicap
i managed to get a hold of M$'s next newest bestest operating system, code named Windows 7. it has that Vista flavour to it, but definitely different. this being an early build(beta), it comes stripped down of a lot of crap making it quite the snappy OS. i'm going to do some more testing over the next few weeks, we'll see what good and bad. i'm going to drop in a wireless pci card in it and take it for an Interwebs whirl.

/Arnie voice- *i'll be baaack*

through an ex-employee of MS, who still has buddies there. this ex-employee was a tester, and he still has input in this area. i won't be able to activate it, but i do have a hack to re-arm it,which i can only do twice. so, i can play with it for 90 days.

And I'm still using XP Pro. I'm trying to avoid going to Vista if at all possible.

I actually like Vista

I'd have to upgrade too much if I switch over. Trying to put the extra money into golf this year unless I have a computer issue.

I've got Vista on the laptop and I haven't had a problem with it. I know when it first came out everybody I talked to hated it.

Mike let us know how you like it, do you know what the release date is or when we will start seeing it on pc's?

I've fully reached the end of my rope with all things Microsoft. Once the Mrs finishes school, and we've got a few extra bucks, it's all going out to the Farm, where I will repeatedly pump high caliber rifle rounds into these damned things. PC and Zune.

I'm going Mac.

I've asked this multiple times on various boards with no answer . . .

Mac users are always saying that Macs just work better and are easier and more intuitive to use.

How?

Far less frequent crashes

Far less 'maintenance'

Those are the two that appeal most to me.

Mac users are always saying that Macs just work better and are easier and more intuitive to use.
How?

Mac users are what you call FanBoys(and Girls),re:snobbish. there's no doubt that Mac are great systems, but better,i dunno. Macs are built with quality, which is only emphasized by a lot of crappy OEM PC(not laptop) makers(Lenovo,HP,etc.).Macs are also less vulnerable to virus's,spyware,etc. i even built a Mac, but with the internals of a PC. i call it:

The iMike<<clicky click

I noticed that too Gummi. And running such programs as Photoshop, Quark Express and SciTex (the program that actually processed all the work to negative output) it ran flawlessly. There were a few times we needed to start it up again but nothing like a PC.

Never could make myself spend the extra money for them for my personal use though.

Far less frequent crashes

Far less 'maintenance'

Those are the two that appeal most to me.

I've been using XP since it came out, and I can't remember the last time it crashed (if ever?).

Maintenance?

I'm no MS supporter, but I think a lot of the problems that people complain about with Windows is the result of the huge amount of 3rd party software available. Apple doesn't have nearly the available software, and much of theirs comes from their own developers, where they can tightly control and test it, right? In contrast, Windows users are installing all sorts of stuff on their computers.

Oh, and iTunes crashes and/or fouls up more than any other software I have on my PC. And don't even get me started on the iPod and things like customer service, and batteries that aren't user-replaceable in a $350 item.

I'm not saying that Apple is bad. They are very innovative. I just think there is an "underdog" and/or non-establishment mentality about it that leads a lot of its supporters to wear blinders.

I'm not saying that Apple is bad. They are very innovative. I just think there is an "underdog" and/or non-establishment mentality about it that leads a lot of its supporters to wear blinders.

Oh come on Harry. Just to show you about how open minded us "Apple People" are, I've pasted a group shot of me & some of my apple mac friends to show how individual and free thinking we are. I'm third from the left.
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif

Oh come on Harry. Just to show you about how open minded us "Apple People" are, I've pasted a group shot of me & some of my apple mac friends to show how individual and free thinking we are. I'm third from the left.
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif
229.gif

Can you introduce me to 2nd from the right? He's a cutie!

I've heard they get a lot fewer viruses. Makes sense. Not enough for me to switch, though.

Groaner alert...

It's coming...

Mr. Bradley, you are the apple of my eye.

Can you introduce me to 2nd from the right? He's a cutie!

It just so happens I am 2nd from the right... thanks for the kind words. :D

Mr. Bradley, you are the apple of my eye.

Awww, didn't you say in another thread that in the battle of the sexes
773.gif
, there's too much fraternising with the enemy???
2401.gif

Apple gets less viruses because nobody is going to waste time building a virus that only affects less than 10% of machines. Harry you hit the nail on the head. It is about 3rd party software, not PCs. I have both and use both. But the cost for a Mac compared to a PC is a joke, and Mac users keep drinking his kool aid, so the cost will not come down.

I'm at the point now, that I don't use my machine at home for anything other than entertainment. Movies, pics, internet for 90% of it's use.

Harry - here's where you can get a new battery for your iPod: http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/ipod-battery-replacements.html

Josh - Folks have already started building Mac desktop clones, that market is going to blow wide open in the next year or so, prices will be coming down.

Awww, didn't you say in another thread that in the battle of the sexes
773.gif
, there's too much fraternising with the enemy???
2401.gif

Uh-uh, I didn't say that, Kissinger did. I think it's hilarious.

Apple gets less viruses because nobody is going to waste time building a virus that only affects less than 10% of machines.

Exactly right.

Apple gets less viruses because nobody is going to waste time building a virus that only affects less than 10% of machines. Harry you hit the nail on the head. It is about 3rd party software, not PCs. I have both and use both. But the cost for a Mac compared to a PC is a joke, and Mac users keep drinking his kool aid, so the cost will not come down.

I was always under the impression(from what I have read, and in talking with engineers who use Macs), that Windows machines are just more vulnerable to security breaches than Mac's are, and that it has nothing to do with market share. Viruses are no longer just .exe based files, which avoided affecting Macs many years ago.

Apple puts more money in to their products from front to back(software and hardware) to avoid this vulnerability, where MS is strictly a software company who concentrates on advertising more than developement.

And before you say this is just an Apple guy pushing Apple, sorry folks my two home computers and my two work computers are Windows machines, none of which will be upgraded to Vista!!

Back