Winter full of sim swings: Will it translate to the course?

darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
The question: is sim golf helpful? The anecdotal evidence:

as a self-proclaimed "fair weather golfer" I don't get as many months to golf as I would prefer. as I type this I am watching the rain fall and knowing I ain't teeing it up for real today. With that said, for the last year and change I have had a "membership" at a sim house that allows unlimited time.

The stats available are pretty robust including swing path, face to path, launch angle, club and ball speeds, smash factor, carry distance etc. That feels good. But I had reservations.

The thing is...you see what, 8' of flight? Also, if the miss is "fat" the mats mask a lot of flaws. I can skip a club off a mat and still make it seem I got a clean strike...which on the course is a fat shot that goes no place. Second, I swing pretty freely there and the fear is I develop a "no consequence, rule free" swing indoors that outdoor becomes a more conservative swing that alters the face when i deliver it to the ball on course.

Add to that the tees are uni-height...which reminds me.

Okay, I am back. Should have bought some Infini-tees that have adjustable height. The single height tees mean my driver did not get much work during the winter. That is not the height I like to tee it.

Regardless, the question was in my mind...the improvements I was seeing in my swing in numbers and, honestly, in dispersion on the screen...would those hold when I got on the real course? Because that is the entire point of working hours a week at dialing in swing path, face orientation, and launch angle. I am not seeking a pretty swing at the simulator. I am looking for a swing that moves me around the course in reasonable distance and location.

After work yesterday i shot out and played a round. Now, it had a lot going for it. There was nobody in front of me (well, okay, I caught some guys on 18 but...) and nobody behind me. Sub 2-hour rounds are nice. I can play a nice relaxed pace and still not be out there forever. Second, i can take stock of the shots I am hitting.

And here is the thing...I did not feel like I was swinging real well. Hole 1 and 4 in particular come to mind. Both were the big slice I fear. And here is where I feel like the swing work is paying off. Hole 4, traditionally when I slice that would be in the water. This time the bad swing was enough better...not good, it was a bad swing...but enough better that it stayed in play. I then was able to take a wedge I was on the verge of taking out of my bag as unhittable and left myself a 10' birdie putt (which I missed...but I had it!)

And as I worked through the round that is what I found. My swing was not magically longer, straighter, perfect...there were still some outcomes I did not love. But they were less bad, more usable. Shots that formerly would be penalties were just either needing a recovery shot or even just hitting from the rough and further back than I hoped.

So I started looking at my scores and yep...they are averaging lower. Like...10-15 shots lower. My average score has decreased .26 strokes per hole against all time and .12 strokes per hole versus last 12 months...16 overall since I started at the sim house about two years ago.

Even better, as I was working my way around the course I stood in front of a difficult shot and realized...I expect to hit a good shot here and even if it is not good it will be playable.

So in the end, it feels like for me, yes...working on the simulator, seeing those numbers has been more useful than taking the mevo plus to the range and swinging in a thick coat.

I would think so. Way back in the day, before there were sims, a buddy of ours put up a hitting bay in his basement. He lived in a big, old house that had basement ceilings tall enough to accommodate a golf swing. He procured a mat and hit balls all winter long. One thing we noticed that spring was that he almost never mishit a ball. He hit everything very pure, in the dead center of the clubface.

When we had a golf dome in the area I made use of it on a regular basis through the winter, and noticed my game was quite a bit better than usual at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately, it collapsed under a snow and ice load during a particularly bad winter. The insurance company cited negligence on the part of the owner and refused to pay off! So, I'm back to looking like a newb every year. Good luck on the start of your season.

Mats have their problems, but if you are making ball-first contact on a mat, you'll be making ball-first contact on the course.

Mats are extremely forgiving and sim golf is *much* easier than real golf. I think improvements you make in your swing such as path or face control should certainly remain, but I think the real danger is likely expectations. Getting on the course and chunking or thinning shots while shooting 94 instead of the 78's you were shooting on the sim could certainly lead one to a bad place mentally and one might make unnecessary changes as a result.

As I'm about to put a sim in, it's certainly something I'm going to have to guard against.

I done an article about hitting off mats be it at a simulator or range

The main thing is as long as your hitting ball then turf ( mat) then everything should be fine

Obviously Sims are great to get practice etc in during those pesky winter months but nothing is better than being out on the course playing in the elements

Mats have their problems, but if you are making ball-first contact on a mat, you'll be making ball-first contact on the course.
Every lie is also perfect, you always have a perfectly flat stance, ball is never above or below your feet.

I mean it beats nothing and it's always good to get swing reps in but there will be adjustments to get even close to the same contact.

Every lie is also perfect, you always have a perfectly flat stance, ball is never above or below your feet.

I mean it beats nothing and it's always good to get swing reps in but there will be adjustments to get even close to the same contact.

I thought about mentioning that, but thought it was a driving range in general thing rather than a mat thing.

It's really tough to get practice reps off of uneven lies outside of the course.

I hated sims for the longest time, until I found my secret. I use a number 1 Bir-tee for every shot, and find that it simulates that ever so slight separation from the ground that you get from grass. My outdoor transition is now seamless.

Really, Really, Really well if you are @dmehrl23
Haha yep worked for me!!

As long as you are practicing with a purpose you’ll see improvements.

Also it was mentioned in the thread but managing expectations is a big one. Obviously dealing with less variables in sim than real life so it’s not exact translation but any improvements in your swing will have some translation to better golf outdoors.

I used to think so. Played two months in one and came out in an experience in December and lost the swing. Then I went back in after that to try to fix things. The next season was a mess. Tried to play a bit last year and swing came out even worse. Didn't touch a club from mid October-late March this season and I've never been hitting the ball better.

At this point, sims are for fun. I, and this is my opinion only now, wouldn't use them to keep my game in shape over an off season

I thought about mentioning that, but thought it was a driving range in general thing rather than a mat thing.

It's really tough to get practice reps off of uneven lies outside of the course.

I once had a golf buddy who wondered why the course wouldn't fill and level all the little dips and hollows on the fairways! He actually thought that would be a good idea!

I once had a golf buddy who wondered why the course wouldn't fill and level all the little dips and hollows on the fairways! He actually thought that would be a good idea!

There are days where I feel the same way! Shots with the ball above my feet screw me up hard.

It's the ones with the ball below my feet that screw me up!

Haven't used a simulator for play so can't say for sure but I can't imagine it helping a game much more than keeping muscles toned and hands strong. But I'm not too far away in thought from the following written in 1952.

In the past, too much emphasis has been placed on the science of the golf swing rather than on the art of hitting the ball. There are thousands of theories on the former, almost none on the latter. Golfers are becoming unbearably self-conscious about their pivots, the way they shift their weight, and (this one always stops me) how they look after they've hit the ball. The golf world is turning into a society of shadow-boxers, and the day may not be far off when all our golf will be played in locker rooms.

Just swinging in the winter is helpful. I don’t find that simulated golf is really golf but having a club in your hand and hitting balls has to help your striking.

Back