WINTER RETREAT or PERMANENT MOVE

OLDPRO46

Head Golf Professional
Reaction score
Hey Folks!!

Looking for suggestions and where to go that's reasonable for the winter months or permanent move. My Lady and I have been contemplating this for some time now and the cold is really getting to us.

If you have a place LMK!

Where are you at now? And what are your expectations with the move? Retired? etc etc.

Where are you at now? And what are your expectations with the move? Retired? etc etc.

Ohio....-8* right now. I'm way beyond the retirement age and still active as the Head Professional for the past 11 years at a local venue.

Ohio....-8* right now. I'm way beyond the retirement age and still active as the Head Professional for the past 11 years at a local venue.
Yeah that's cold!

Az and Fl are the two that seem to be the logical candidates. The phx/scottsdale area has some fantastic golf courses and very mild winters. Summer is hot as hell though.

A good friend of mine moved to Prescott Valley, Az about 10 years ago. It's at a little higher elevation so winter is a little colder, but not -8 cold!. Summers are also cooler than down in phx.

Don't know a whole lot about Fl other than alot of people choose it for retirement.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yeah that's cold!

Az and Fl are the two that seem to be the logical candidates. The phx/scottsdale area has some fantastic golf courses and very mild winters. Summer is hot as hell though.

A good friend of mine moved to Prescott Valley, Az about 10 years ago. It's at a little higher elevation so winter is a little colder, but not -8 cold!. Summers are also cooler than down in phx.

Don't know a whole lot about Fl other than alot of people choose it for retirement.

I can handle the heat. Spent 23 years in Alabama. Not to mention Fla, Tex, Maine, Pa, Oh. lol

Costa Rica on the pacific ocean side.

I can handle the heat. Spent 23 years in Alabama. Not to mention Fla, Tex, Maine, Pa, Oh. lol
Well I know someone that has 7 acres of land for sale in prescott vallez, az. lol

Belize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to say that in my opinion the Fort Myers, Fla area is my place of choice. I spent a good deal of time in that area and love it.

If you can handle the hear the winters in Florida are great. You say reasonable, and I assume you mean financially. You can find something for every price point, the most widely desirable places can be quite spendy, but other areas can be very affordable. It all depends on what is important to you.

Fiji sounds good about now!!

Gulf coast of Florida from Tampa on down

Alex, stateside I would say South Carolina lots of amazing course great scenery and nice achitecture. Or Arizona which is equality as beautiful. Outside the US , Costa Rica is amazing from photos I have seen. Have thoughts of hitting up there myself upon retirement.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

what kind of nightlife and access to civilization are you interested in? there are quiet, very scenic parts of central florida with plenty of golf around where you can live for good value. but for grocery stores, movie theaters and fine dining it's a bit of a haul.

My wife's family has re-located/retired in Fort Mill, SC. About 15 min from the NC boarder and 20 min from Charlotte. Not many great public golf courses in the area, but plenty of private to choose from. Home prices are reasonalble, and taxes are low. Tons to do around the Charlotte area. 3.5hr drive to Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head.

Thanks! to all of you that responded. Our biggest concern is naturally the finances. We both are fixed income and I also work full time and no doubt will continue to do so. We are looking for rental for the time being, just to insure we would be happy and enjoy the area that we may chose then go from there.

I know and she knows I wouldn't be happy without the golf thing. It's been a major part of my life for over 50 years and there is no way I can see myself just sitting in a rocking chair watching the sunset.

It's a tuff decision, but we both feel it would enhance the quality of our lives to enjoy whatever time we may have in the twilight of our youth.

Thanks, again!

Back