Wisconsin Golf Trip - Erin Hills and Irish Course at Whistling Straits

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Just got the invite today for a golf trip in mid-May to Milwaukee. Going to play the Irish Course at Whistling Straits, followed by Erin Hills. Beyond excited!

That's awesome. Have a great time and let us know all about the trip and courses.

Moved to travel

Very cool. The Straits are great but I haven't played Erin Hills yet

have fun!

That’s a trip I want to take. Hopefully in the next few years.

If you gt a chance Sand Valley/Mamouth Dunes/ Sand Box are worthy too. Congrats!!!!

We played Erin Hills last year. Definitely fun. Hopefully you don't have a 5:45 round like we did though. They didn't care to be push or have the folks in front of us let us play through and with no shade from sun, that 84* day was warm....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Irish Course is the best of the 4 Kohler courses when considering greens fees IMHO.

Erin Hills is great also. I probably won’t go out of my way to play it again because the walk between holes are way too long and the target pace of play is 5 hr 30 min (according to my caddy). It’s just too long of a walk for your average golfer. Other than that, I love the course.

By the way, Erin Hills locker room had a major influence on our master bathroom. Its hands down my favorite shower facility.

Dude what a dream trip! This is one that I’ve had on the bucket list for some time!

That sounds fantastic! Have fun!

Thats awesome Congratulations!

Congrats that will be an awesome time.

Enjoy this trip! @KY Golfer and I played with a stick from Wisconsin on Payne’s Valley. He glowed about how great Erin Hills is.

wooh wooh.

That’s quite a trip. I’ll also be at the Kohler courses mid May. I attended the US Open at Erin Hills and those talking about the walk aren’t exaggerating. Absolutely massive sprawling property.

#jealous

Awesome. We are doing this, plus Sand Valley in August 2022. Looking forward to reading about your experience.

To anyone who has played either or both of these courses (Irish course at Whistling Straits and/or Erin Hills), what advice do you have for someone playing both of them for the first time? And really, for someone playing a true links course for the first time? What are some of your favorite holes on these courses? Any other input or insight? I am a 6.8 GHIN handicap and am fairly consistent, but I have no idea what to expect in terms of difficulty, scoring, strategy, and so on.

Last edited:
To anyone who has played either or both of these courses (Irish course at Whistling Straits and/or Erin Hills), what advice do you have for someone playing both of them for the first time? And really, for someone playing a true links course for the first time? What are some of your favorite holes on these courses? Any other input or insight? I am a 6.8 GHIN handicap and am fairly consistent, but I have no idea what to expect in terms of difficulty, scoring, strategy, and so on.

Pay for the caddy. Best advise I can give ya & will make it much more enjoyable. Have fun!

Pay for the caddy. Best advise I can give ya & will make it much more enjoyable. Have fun!

Thanks! Everyone in the group is planning on using a caddy. I don’t think there’s anyway we could play the course without one!

Back