"Wobblers." Golf balls and putting. (And beyond.)

blueonblack

...tears on a river
Reaction score
Was reading about some new balls on the market since I last played. Thanks to THP'ers. (y)
Got me to thinking about my experience really doing nothing in the way of golf for many years, except for putting quite often on my indoor mat/green dealio.

As this relates to putting and golf balls, I noticed over the course of 5 years, every so often an interesting phenomena. "Wobblers."
The ball would be so out of round, that I could detect how erratically the ball would react just putting it. They'd sadly wobble around like tires that were out of balance.
I'm not sure I'd notice outdoors, but for once, an indoor surface's artificial "perfection" seemed to aid in identifying this phenomena.

Now, most of my golf balls are 2014 and earlier, so maybe production has tightened up a tad. But this was pretty irrespective of brand. All urethane "tour" quality balls. Didn't even want to save them for shag bag. Out in the garbage when I'd find one. Ouch! $$$

I have to believe the golf balls pros use are very hand-selected and tested to use on tour. I recall stories of tour caddies of the past throughout different stages of ball development and their job to weed out the "good" golf balls in the bunch.

Has design, material, and technology advanced to the point of no more "wobblers?"
Do the tour guys get "tour inspected balls?" :unsure:

I've never seen a "wobbler." and having seen how at least one major manufacturer treats their golf ball r&d and manufacturing process, I highly doubt this exists in the modern era.

I've never seen a "wobbler." and having seen how at least one major manufacturer treats their golf ball r&d and manufacturing process, I highly doubt this exists in the modern era.
Ever had a golf ball that you didn't lose and used for many, many, many rounds? I had one like that once. Once. Man what an awesome one golf ball that was.

Or the yellow version of one feels different than the white version?

Anyone else insane enough to do nothing but putt golf balls for 5 years? :eek:;)

Last edited:
I can't remember... can you swap out your golf ball at the green to putt so long as it is the same make/model, or do you have to finish the hole with the same ball as which you started? Having that perfectly balanced ball would be a key metric in aiding consistency.

Is it that new $300 putter that didn't work out so well today? Or was it the $4 golf ball it was paired with that was the problem? :unsure:

I can't remember... can you swap out your golf ball at the green to putt so long as it is the same make/model, or do you have to finish the hole with the same ball as which you started? Having that perfectly balanced ball would be a key metric in aiding consistency.

Is it that new $300 putter that didn't work out so well today? Or was it the $4 golf ball it was paired with that was the problem? :unsure:
No you cannot swap out the ball to putt with a different one. Unless you lost your ball then you can put another into play to finish the hole

If you were a hustler, you'd switch with the other perfectly balanced ball in your pocket on crucial putts. :cool:
Tour guys play all pre-balanced balanced balls I bet. Too much goes into it to let it all ride on an "untested" $4 golf ball. (y)

Last year, I was playing a round when I came across a lost colorful ball I'd not played before. I put in in play one hole and noticed on a chip that it rolled hard to the right like it was on a slope. Later at home I found the ball was badly out of round. Other then this, have not noticed.

It likely is with a test putt with every ball we put in our bags to ensure they are balanced. Especially given I often play a single ball for upward of an entire 18.

I have seen a few bad balls, but I can't remember any in the last few decades. It's been a really long time.

Iirc, the ones that were out of balance were of the higher compression variety. Not sure.

Now I have had a few that looked like they wobbled, but it was just how the lettering looked while the ball was rolling. A little eye/brain trickery. What I saw, wasn't really happening.

I have been using the same brand ball, in various models for quite a while. All the balls have rolled well on the green for me. Even the few I used for multiple rounds have played well for me. I don't even remember any of my shag bag, retired game balls acting weird.

Back in the day of “wound” golf balls a bad shot with an iron would cut the cover or damage the interior windings and put a noticeable or barely noticeable bump on the ball. Modern two piece balls are a lot less likely to get out of round than the old balls were.

Another site did a test of golf balls and if they were out of round and some major manufacturers were found to be guility of it. I believe Callaway was one of the worse ones.
I dont recall if they were some of the Chrome Softs that had the issues with the core not being centered but Callaway did come up.

I did find it to be the case across a few manufacturers. These are all pre-2015. Maybe production techniques have improved since.
I do have a sleeve of new PV1's to try. Black package looks like it should be PV1x. ;)
Will have to pick up a few others. (y)
The cores being off center a tad I suspect is the issue. Some more than others. Unbalanced tires wobbling along.
I did have the habit of buying urethane balls on closeout at golf stores. Always wondered if they were on closeout for a reason. Perhaps. :unsure:

Back