Woodworking / Furniture Building

baldguy

Part-Time Sasquatch
Reaction score
Handicap
15.3 GHIN
I've decided I need a new desk for my home office. I spend so much time in here it's ridiculous that I am still using this old desk I salvaged from an office closing. Looking around on the interwebs, it seems like for a given budget, I can build something much nicer than I can buy. I'm relatively handy with a decent selection of tools in my garage, and I have full confidence in my ability to build... but I've never built a desk or any real furniture before, unless you could things like picnic tables and benches. I tend to use my projects as an excuse to buy new tools... my wife's raised vegetable gardens got me a really nice sliding compound miter saw... I'm thinking this one will get me a table saw :D

This is a project that really catches my eye:

http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/blog/diy-ergonomic-computer-desk-revisited/

He uses Kee Klamp fittings which aren't cheap, but combined with iron or steel pipe are very strong and easy to work with. I would make some changes to the design to fit my needs and workspace, but the concepts would be pretty much the same. If you look around on that site you will see lots of other projects using the same materials, and I think I'd end up doing the same thing. I've been toying with various ideas for the desktops, which is where the actual woodworking comes in. I want a nice looking top, on the darker side like the featured piece in that DIY article. The dimensions I'm looking to build are 30" deep, 82" from left to right, with an L on the right end that comes out to 72". Here are the options I came up with for the top:

Ikea countertop that is cheap, looks great, accepts stain and sealant, and really would almost be perfect as a desk top - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20057854/ - the only problem is I really want that 30" depth. The countertops come in either 25" or 39" depth. They have table tops in 30" but not in colors that I like. I suppose I could stain those table tops, but I am not 100% sure they will accept stain

This seems like a lot of work, but if I was trying to avoid work I would pay someone else to do it - http://www.sawdustandembryos.com/2013/06/how-to-build-butcher-block-counter.html - and I would have ultimate control over grain, color, dimensions, etc. I like this option the best, but I have yet to find a good source for reclaimed, scrap, or otherwise relatively cheap lumber. If I can't find that, this option becomes much more expensive than the countertops. I'm still looking.

The last option I came up with for the top is some biscuit-joined planks. The problems with that are basically that I can't find 2" thickness boards that look good and are long enough. Plus, I'm not confident in their resistance to warping, even if I oppose the grains. But that might just be my inexperience with woodworking.

With either of those last two options, I'm looking at having someone else do the planing. I considered buying a tabletop planer, but good ones are expensive and even those won't handle a 30" board.

So, for those of you who are woodworkers, what would you recommend? Has anyone built a project with kee klamp fittings before? Any other DIY recommendations for office furniture? Thanks!

Thats a pretty simple desk build and I don't see why you cant do it.

Counter Top
For the top if you want a butcher block top like the Ikea one by the 39 and rip it on a table saw to your desired width and then use a router to round over your edges, becareful not to go to far down the side with your profile or you'll expose the finger joint holding the pieces together. If you want to have a solid joint where your two pieces meet I suggest buying a kregg kit as it is simple to use and strong.

If you want a simple plywood top with wood edge banding you can do it for the same price as one piece of the Ikea top even using most exotic species of wood.

Kee Klamps

Ive never used them although they appear pretty easy to use.

Here is some projects I did for myself

Any questions feel free to PM me, I'll also keep and eye on this thread

Thats a pretty simple desk build and I don't see why you cant do it.

Counter Top
For the top if you want a butcher block top like the Ikea one by the 39 and rip it on a table saw to your desired width and then use a router to round over your edges, becareful not to go to far down the side with your profile or you'll expose the finger joint holding the pieces together. If you want to have a solid joint where your two pieces meet I suggest buying a kregg kit as it is simple to use and strong.

If you want a simple plywood top with wood edge banding you can do it for the same price as one piece of the Ikea top even using most exotic species of wood.

Kee Klamps

Ive never used them although they appear pretty easy to use.

Here is some projects I did for myself

Any questions feel free to PM me, I'll also keep and eye on this thread

Those are some nice projects! I have a few somewhere of the 30" high raised cedar beds I built for my wife last year, but they're not as impressive as yours. If I find some I will post them.

I agree that it is a simple desk but that's honestly part of why I like the design. Not so much for ease of assembly, but for the look. The contrast of metal and wood has always appealed to me. A very industrial look that I think can work very well for my office. If I do go with the counter tops, I intend to use scrap from them to make shelves that will attach to the wall above the desk using more pipe and kee klamps. I hate having a true hutch since it makes the usable desk so shallow, but I do like having storage space above the desk. I think that will be a good solution.

One question for you since you obviously know a thing or two about this subject: if I wanted to join two tops to make the L, in such a way that the grains are perpendicular, would you recommend joining them at a 45* or a 90* angle? I think the 45* join would look better, but it limits my options with the base. I am a tall guy and I really like my legroom... I really don't want to put a full height support at the inside corner of the L. I can't think of another way to support it properly if I do use a 45*.

Thank You for the compliment on my projects, I learned from my dad who is a cabinet maker.

Corner joint

Depends on how you want the functionality of the desk, will it sit in a 90* corner? do you want to be able to swing from one side to the other without having to slide back and then back in?

you have basically 3 options - 45* joint, perpendicular joint both will give you a 90* corner the 3rd option is a 3/4 piece top joined to make one solid piece that will give you a 45* corner this option will give you a clear more traditional corner desk look(also takes more work and figuring out).

Regardless of what you decide I would suggest using this setup to add strength to the corner.

shelf-support.jpg

Thank You for the compliment on my projects, I learned from my dad who is a cabinet maker.

Corner joint

Depends on how you want the functionality of the desk, will it sit in a 90* corner? do you want to be able to swing from one side to the other without having to slide back and then back in?

you have basically 3 options - 45* joint, perpendicular joint both will give you a 90* corner the 3rd option is a 3/4 piece top joined to make one solid piece that will give you a 45* corner this option will give you a clear more traditional corner desk look(also takes more work and figuring out).

Regardless of what you decide I would suggest using this setup to add strength to the corner.

shelf-support.jpg

yes, the bolded above is my reason, plus being able to just stretch my legs out to the right would be great. it's not going in a 90* corner, but i do want it to be a 90* L. I don't grok the 3/4 top joined concept. I'll be googling shortly :)

I think the pic you posted could work... he uses it for a shelf but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work to support the corner. good idea!

A 3/4 piece top ends up being one piece when finished but takes 3 or 4 pieces put together to make it. I will get some pics up tomorrow my phone is not co-operating tonight to post them.

Here is a desk that was built for a friend of mine. It took 4 pieces cut out of one sheet of plywood to make it.

uqaja4ud.jpg

susybu2y.jpg

ge9e2yra.jpg

I have nothing to add to this thread, but just two days ago I learned that my uncle is building his own Adirondack Chairs for his lake house. I thought that was neat, and wished I was good at this type of stuff…

Oh O'carrol it just takes practice, a solid plan and a little know how.

I have a full cabinet building shop here at the house and I absolutely used to love building things out of wood. As drag racing, golf and teenagers took up more of my time, I have pretty much quit building things and only use the tools for repairs around the house and the occasional project for my wife. I built a huge entertainment center into the corner of my living room that has turned into book shelves because the remote for the TV would only work from straight on when it was installed, but it looks great still. I also built some shelving into an unused corner of my man-cave and decked out the cut through that goes from the dining room into my man cave.

I'll have to get some pictures when the lighting is better, but I used to absolutely love doing things like that.

This is something that has always intrigued me. Wood working in general, and the precision/expertise that goes into some of the magnificent projects, is just astounding.

Something I would really love to do for a living, but have no skill/experience. I always thought it would be very fulfilling to produce something tangible, that is cherished.

I built the cabinets we had in our house in GA and various other things through the years. I'd be happy to help or loan a table saw if you don't have one, router or just about anything else you might need. If I have anything you need, you're welcome to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I built the cabinets we had in our house in GA and various other things through the years. I'd be happy to help or loan a table saw if you don't have one, router or just about anything else you might need. If I have anything you need, you're welcome to it.

man I just might take you up on that. Do you have a planer? That's the one thing I think I really have to have if I'm going to do some butcher block type stuff, and the cost of buying one is one of the biggest reasons I am leaning away from it

man I just might take you up on that. Do you have a planer? That's the one thing I think I really have to have if I'm going to do some butcher block type stuff, and the cost of buying one is one of the biggest reasons I am leaning away from it

No sir.

all good either way. I might still need that table saw :)

I've been thinking about buying an old shopsmith to restore, then use for my projects. That should happen some time this spring or summer. Borrowing your table saw might help me get this desk project done before I have a shopsmith ready to use.

all good either way. I might still need that table saw :)

I've been thinking about buying an old shopsmith to restore, then use for my projects. That should happen some time this spring or summer. Borrowing your table saw might help me get this desk project done before I have a shopsmith ready to use.

Check pawn shops in your are for a newer one as restoring one can get expensive and hard depending on what parts are need. I am not discouraging it just no that old parts and can be hard to find and expensive as well the blades.

Check pawn shops in your are for a newer one as restoring one can get expensive and hard depending on what parts are need. I am not discouraging it just no that old parts and can be hard to find and expensive as well the blades.

that's a good idea. I was thinking about restoring one because I really like doing that stuff and it *should* be cheaper as long as I don't get one that is all used up. About a year ago I did some digging and found that restoring those things is quite a popular hobby. Some people have reported huge savings, some have reported small ones, and even a few have said they wish they had just bought a new one. There is a full catalog of Mark V replacement parts available direct from the OEM. I just don't do enough woodworking to justify the cost of a new machine, but if I can restore one for less than the cost of a table saw and a lathe, I'll gain some extra functionality and save some space. And *hopefully* have fun doing the restoration :)

good idea on the pawn shops, though. I hadn't thought of that. I might just score one in good condition for not much... will add that to my places to look before I buy. thanks man!

all good either way. I might still need that table saw :).

You're more than welcome to it. Heck, if we can find a crappy weather weekend I could be talked into lending a hand.

Very cool of you man!!!

I worked in a cabinet shop in a past life ;) Ran the doors and drawers dept. I miss it a ton , recently came back into contact with a friend that is a true master of the medium and has offered me the same opportunity as Matthew has to you Baldguy. just be aware of two thing a real cabinet saw is a world away in both cost and quality from a typical "contractors" table saw you will find at Home depot etc. I am NOT saying you can't get a great result with one just saying there are significant differences in the two !

My buddy has one of these and it is truly amazing, just thought I would share it with you .

I recently picked up a Kreg jig and really really like it.

Hope to see finished pictures of your completed project in the future. good luck :thumb:

Upon a reread of that I want to clarify , I think it is very Gracious of Matthew to offer you access to his equipment , was a bit bothered by the way my wording sounded.

a $600 track saw might be out of my budget right now :)

woodworking projects require me to walk a fine line. I want them to be good excuses to buy new tools (who wouldn't?) but if I buy too many and if they're too expensive, then I have to build all of the things my wife wants me to build. While I'm sure I will enjoy the process... I'd never get to play golf again!

Woodworking / Furniture Building

When my miter saw broke a few weeks ago I took the opportunity to completely over do it. With the wife's blessing based on me never needing another miter saw ever.
atedu4ut.jpg

Of course I also will have a hard time coming up with an excuse when there is a project to be done.

Sorry for the crappy iCloud tapatalk pic.

woodworking projects require me to walk a fine line. I want them to be good excuses to buy new tools (who wouldn't?) but if I buy too many and if they're too expensive, then I have to build all of the things my wife wants me to build. While I'm sure I will enjoy the process... I'd never get to play golf again!

I only work on house personal projects especially time consuming ones in the winter.

Yea it was more of a check this out than suggestion ;) Used my buddies and was beyond impressed with the complete lack of tear out on the panel
I totally get it on the price and project levels as well

I was working with a small table saw that I bought at a pawn shop while watching for sales on a larger one. I ended up getting a Rigid from Home Depot that has a fence capable of 36" cuts with a cast iron deck for around $500. I also caught a sale for a compound sliding mitre saw at Sears for $99 that is absolutely perfect for doing cuts up to 8" wide. I bought a router table at a pawn shop for under $50 and it has lasted me 5 years so far and is still going strong. A separate plunge router for under $100 and a DeWalt trim router for $70 on sale. I have a Delta band saw that was under $100 at the pawn shop as well.

I'm a budget shopper for tools and I have amassed a nice setup over the past 8 years or so, most at great prices, but the 2 best investments are without a doubt the big table saw and the sliding compound mitre.

Add in a small air compressor, a trim nailer and a brad nailer, a bunch of clamps and you can accomplish a lot. I have actually had the best luck with harbor freight cheap nailers, every time I bought an expensive one, they didn't last more than 6 months. I think I've had the $17 blue cheapo for 3 or 4 years now.

Back