Woodworking / Furniture Building

I’m thinking of building an electric guitar. I suck at guitar but always wanted an electric guitar. Anyone ever done such a thing?

Haven't done it but making a PRS-style semi-hollowbody is high up on my to-do list. As I was planning I realized it would end up costing me as much as an actual PRS, only made by a really sh***y luthier. I think I will be making a display piece with cheaper materials instead.

Hello again my fellow wood workers. This spring I'm planning on renovating my second story porch area as it is pretty worn and weathered. I'm going to try and replace as much of the wood as I can and then converting the deck to most likely a Trex. Here is my question though that I"m wondering if I could get some help with. So the main supports for the deck are actually built into the truss which my apologies if I'm wrong here but I believe that is considered "cantilevered"? As I want to be sure that the deck is as sturdy as possible I was wanting to replace basically the entire foundation of the small deck but with those boards going into the actual house that obviously isn't possible as I'm not wanting to go to the extent of removing the ceiling in my kitchen. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how I could add support to the deck without absolutely demolishing my kitchen ceiling? I want to say the deck is probably 4x10. The attached picture is the best picture I have of the deck in question so that you have a general idea of what I'm talking about here. I really appreciate your help on this guys!

And before all you skilled woodworkers start to cringe at the site of my makeshift pergola......It got A LOT better. That picture was actually taken to send to the wife to tell her I needed another 4x6 because I didn't "measure twice"

IMG_2870.JPEG

The deck should be attached to a ledger board if it’s not a free standing deck. From what I can see it looks like you have cantilevered joists resting on the outer load bearing wall Beam. Honestly, with what I am seeing here hire a structural engineer and go over what you are looking at doing. There are just so many unknowns on what is going on there that I would not risk it.

Hello again my fellow wood workers. This spring I'm planning on renovating my second story porch area as it is pretty worn and weathered. I'm going to try and replace as much of the wood as I can and then converting the deck to most likely a Trex. Here is my question though that I"m wondering if I could get some help with. So the main supports for the deck are actually built into the truss which my apologies if I'm wrong here but I believe that is considered "cantilevered"? As I want to be sure that the deck is as sturdy as possible I was wanting to replace basically the entire foundation of the small deck but with those boards going into the actual house that obviously isn't possible as I'm not wanting to go to the extent of removing the ceiling in my kitchen. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how I could add support to the deck without absolutely demolishing my kitchen ceiling? I want to say the deck is probably 4x10. The attached picture is the best picture I have of the deck in question so that you have a general idea of what I'm talking about here. I really appreciate your help on this guys!

And before all you skilled woodworkers start to cringe at the site of my makeshift pergola......It got A LOT better. That picture was actually taken to send to the wife to tell her I needed another 4x6 because I didn't "measure twice"

View attachment 8924736
How old is the house and was the balcony always part of the house? Rule of thumb when framing a cantilevered balcony shown as the weathered portion is for every foot of cantilever you have 2’ inside the bearing point, which is the back wall of the house. That said, if the cantilever is 4’ there should be 8’ inside from the back wall.
Now, answering the original question how can you replace the worn out framing... tear out the kitchen ceiling.... or, like the Pergola frame shown below is to attach a ledger to the house and attach joists to it with posts and a beam between posts supporting the outer edge from the house.

keep in mind you need post footers dug below frost line if going this route. O would suggest using exterior grade materials that are also pressure treated. I don’t know your skill level, but this a more advanced project and moderate framing skill is necessary. Oh, And a good grasp Of geometry. Good luck with whatever path you take.

The deck should be attached to a ledger board if it’s not a free standing deck. From what I can see it looks like you have cantilevered joists resting on the outer load bearing wall Beam. Honestly, with what I am seeing here hire a structural engineer and go over what you are looking at doing. There are just so many unknowns on what is going on there that I would not risk it.

Yep. Plus I believe most cities would require a permit for this type of renovation.

Has anyone here aver built a wine rack? I'm looking to add one in the storage room of the basement & was looking for ideas. More for storage than for looks, but the wife will want it to look "nice".

Thanks for all the info you guys have given. As I'm not the original owner of the house I couldn't tell you whether it is original or not but I'm about 99% sure it is. The supports are in surprisingly good shape actually it is just the parts of the deck that are getting hit with weather directly. I'm really just looking at creating the exact same deck and even looking at keeping the original supports and figuring a way to add extra support. Thank you again @Grins @Stemmy66 @wubears71

Thanks for all the info you guys have given. As I'm not the original owner of the house I couldn't tell you whether it is original or not but I'm about 99% sure it is. The supports are in surprisingly good shape actually it is just the parts of the deck that are getting hit with weather directly. I'm really just looking at creating the exact same deck and even looking at keeping the original supports and figuring a way to add extra support. Thank you again @Grins @Stemmy66 @wubears71
Sounds like the answer is to just replace the decking. Good luck!

Has anyone here aver built a wine rack? I'm looking to add one in the storage room of the basement & was looking for ideas. More for storage than for looks, but the wife will want it to look "nice".
Easiest thing is to find a picture of one that looks good. How many bottles do you need to store?

Easiest thing is to find a picture of one that looks good. How many bottles do you need to store?

Not sure, but I'm thinking between 50-100. We have a storage room in the basement where the water line comes in. I was toying with the idea of building a rack above the water meter since that is unused space right now. I'd need to make sure that the rack could be moved if they ever need to replace/repair the line though.

@Grins check pinterest. There may be a picture of what you're looking for there... they may even have plans available. Just be cautious and use safe search in yuor browser... searching for "rack" might conjure up photos you don't want to see.:)

A few pics of the new Tortoise enclosure we built in a spare room. It's 4x8 and should last for a few years until he's big enough to live outside.

IMG_20200118_160330.jpg

IMG_7429.jpg

IMG_7446.jpg

Not sure, but I'm thinking between 50-100. We have a storage room in the basement where the water line comes in. I was toying with the idea of building a rack above the water meter since that is unused space right now. I'd need to make sure that the rack could be moved if they ever need to replace/repair the line though.
That’s a lotta vino!

Built my daughter a simple farmhouse style coffee table for her apartment. This is prior to staining.

3B28631C-B08E-4EF8-9D4C-87CD6AD94A39.jpeg

Nice coffee table! Clean design.

That’s a lotta vino!

Yeah. I'd like to store some for aging. Also, my wife's entire family are big wine drinkers. It goes quickly during family get-togethers, which happen frequently.

Built a “barn wood” headboard.
Used pallets and ran them through my surface planer.
Came out nice. Also added in an inlay LED strip for the lighting

Attachments

• FE2C20FF-EB47-4D19-ABF2-F856F77A4A91.jpeg
    FE2C20FF-EB47-4D19-ABF2-F856F77A4A91.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 7
I am looking at starting to build some furniture and I just wondered what would be the best type of wood and best place to source it... So I'm researching a bit.

Firstly, I was going to attempt a coffee tables but with multiple boards attached together to form a top (I was planning on biscuiting them/glueing them together - does that sound right?) What would you guys use to complete these project?

I'd like something like this:
3154837729_1385400809.jpg
:)

What tools do I need? I have done my own research through findthisbest website, but need you real life experience.
For tools, look into Kreg jigs for joining boards together. That is what I used to build table I posted a few posts above. Worked out really well.

I am looking at starting to build some furniture and I just wondered what would be the best type of wood and best place to source it... So I'm researching a bit.

Firstly, I was going to attempt a coffee tables but with multiple boards attached together to form a top (I was planning on biscuiting them/glueing them together - does that sound right?) What would you guys use to complete these project?

What tools do I need? I have done my own research through findthisbest website, but need you real life experience.

here is a coffee table I completed recently

Attachments

• 9A7D4C1B-8A40-478A-A042-B953A6581AFD.jpeg
    9A7D4C1B-8A40-478A-A042-B953A6581AFD.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5

I'm not the best guy to answer this question as I don't have a lot of the tools & haven't built anything in a while (but did work with my dad building furniture when I was younger). Other than the legs, all you really need is a table saw (or something similar) to cut the wood. The guys with fancier shops would have a planer - which makes edge jointing boards a lot easier.

The legs would need to be done on a lathe (At least the round parts) - and I have no experience with those. Some wood supply shops might have pre-turned legs for you to buy.

That wood appears to be pine, which is usually the least expensive & easiest to work with - until you try to stain it. Poplar is harder and a bit more expensive, but less than other hardwoods like cherry & oak.

The biscuit joining technique sounds good. A biscuit joiner is on my "TO BUY" list. It seems like the easiest way to glue up boards for projects like this.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Built a “barn wood” headboard.
Used pallets and ran them through my surface planer.
Came out nice. Also added in an inlay LED strip for the lighting

Very nice! Did you stain them different colors, are was that due to different pallet types?

here is a coffee table I completed recently

Same technique as the headboard? Or different material?

Very nice! Did you stain them different colors, are was that due to different pallet types?

Same technique as the headboard? Or different material?
The pallets may have been different species, but to make sure I got the colors I wanted I did use different color stains.
I think they turned out pretty nice.
now my daughter moved and does not have any use r the headboard. Trying to sell it.
Its a Queen sized, if anybody interested

Both table and headboard turned out nice. Well done!

More on the wood butchery side rather than the wood working side is some built-ins SWMBO wanted to store her scrapbooking stuff and display finished books. Here’s the beginning state after furniture is out (except for the behemoth under the blanket) and carpet pulled up:
1493E0E0-3596-47B3-A40B-C38B7AD56A71.jpeg

Floor down and unfinished product. No in progress pics (apologies to those who like to see the nuts and bolts of things):
762FD23D-E4B2-4CFF-A75B-E44DAFDBE812.jpeg

Finished and ready to be loaded up to (read: beyond) capacity.
7C2B7FE0-910B-4076-B190-514E0E5E3FD9.jpeg

Those look awesome!

Back