Woodworking / Furniture Building

More on the wood butchery side rather than the wood working side is some built-ins SWMBO wanted to store her scrapbooking stuff and display finished books. Here’s the beginning state after furniture is out (except for the behemoth under the blanket) and carpet pulled up:
View attachment 8940553

Floor down and unfinished product. No in progress pics (apologies to those who like to see the nuts and bolts of things):
View attachment 8940555

Finished and ready to be loaded up to (read: beyond) capacity.
View attachment 8940558
Did you paint paint or spray?

Ooo good question!

Did you paint paint or spray?
Well, I painted, but didn’t use a sprayer. Like that old Jerky Boys skit, “used the roller there, the brush. Turned out beautiful.”

Well, I painted, but didn’t use a sprayer. Like that old Jerky Boys skit, “used the roller there, the brush. Turned out beautiful.”
since referencing the Jerky Boys, the bigger question is did you bring your glasses.... could you see s*&^?

the jerky boyz. haven't heard them in a while(y)

I've got a question. I have a Milwaukee circular saw that I recently purchased. I was wondering what suggestions everyone has for the best straight edge guide? The reason I bought the circular saw was for the bigger cuts I need to make and I figured I would just purchase a decent guide to cut straight. I noticed there was a fairly decent sized Kreg guide that looked pretty nice but I was just wondering if there was something else out there that is a better option.

I've got a question. I have a Milwaukee circular saw that I recently purchased. I was wondering what suggestions everyone has for the best straight edge guide? The reason I bought the circular saw was for the bigger cuts I need to make and I figured I would just purchase a decent guide to cut straight. I noticed there was a fairly decent sized Kreg guide that looked pretty nice but I was just wondering if there was something else out there that is a better option.

The quick and easy for breaking down sheet goods is a straightedge clamp like the Clamp’n Tool Guide. Pros are it’s wide enough to crosscut a full sheet of plywood and it’s inexpensive. Cons are you have to measure by the offset of your saw’s shoe for precision cuts and take extra precautions to avoid tear out.

Another option is to DIY your own guides using sheet goods. Grab a sheet each of 3/4 and 1/4 material (i like tempered hardboard for the 1/4”) Find sheets with clean factory edges. Use the factory edge of the 3/4 to rip 10-12” off the edge of the 1/4”. Take the factory edge of the piece you just cut and rip 4” off the factory edge of the 3/4” sheet. Attach the 4” piece of 3/4 to the piece of 1/4, aligning the two cut edges (Glue and short nails are ok). When dry, hold the shoe of the saw tight to the 3/4 and use it as a guide to cut the 1/4” to width. Guide complete. Pros are it’s relatively cheap and you can build to shorter lengths as well. Cons are you need clamps or traction tape to hold in place and you can let the saw wander offline if you get careless or wind up in an awkward reaching position.

Dedicated commercial guides are also available but some require attachments to the saw and can be fairly costly. Unless you’re cutting a lot of sheet goods and can dedicate a saw to that purpose, they don’t really make a lot of sense IMHO.

You could get something fancy like what Kreg has, or Festool... or go with a multi-hundreds of dollar panel saw set up... or use something as simple as a length of 2x4 you ran one side through a jointer or planer and clamp it down as a guide.

If you don't have a jointer or planer to get one edge of your 2x4 straight, send it through the table saw... the cut edge will be a known straight edge then.

Or like was mentioned, cut the factory edge off of sheet of plywood... and stack it with another narrowish piece of wood or plywood...

Or pick up a 3' or 5' or longer level and use that...

Or a single metal stud can work as well...

My first attempt at epoxy ... wanted a beach scene while I worked ... I love the beach ... of course I live on an island anyway ... at least in my head.IMG_1410 (2).jpg

I have a drywall t-square that I use for this purpose when I need to rip sheet goods down with a little more accuracy. Otherwise it’s just a chalk line.

I prefer using a table saw when making square cuts once things have been ripped down to a more manageable size.

I have a drywall t-square that I use for this purpose when I need to rip sheet goods down with a little more accuracy. Otherwise it’s just a chalk line.

I prefer using a table saw when making square cuts once things have been ripped down to a more manageable size.
But then you need to make sure the table saw fence is square to the blade, the blade is straight...:D

I built two things this past weekend...

A footrest for my wife that turned out how I planned it. And it doesn't look too much like a 2nd grade art project.:ROFLMAO:

A cordless drill storage unit that I hung on the wall in my garage to keep my drill, impact, other impact, batteries, and chargers in one spot that's more accessible. I didn't want to dig out my table saw because it was buried in my garage. I was working with plywood anyway so I used my jigsaw and new metabo skil saw.

It turned out looking like a 2nd grade art project. I measured twice and cut once. Apparently I can't really cut a straight line.:ROFLMAO: Anyway, pre drilling, woodscrews, and clamps kind of got it square. Ish.

It's my prototype. Yeah! That's it! Prototype. I'll improve on it in the future.

But just like my golf game, what goes on in my head doesn't match my skillset. At all.:unsure:

But then you need to make sure the table saw fence is square to the blade, the blade is straight...:D
Two maintenance items required for an accurate cut, agreed.

This is an awesome thread. I'm much like OP in that I've done a handful of medium sized Wood working project, most of which have come out great, and each one has resulted in new tools more me. All this working from home (just learned I've probably got another 2.5 months at a minimum, and might become somewhat a permanent function) So now i'm contemplating building a new desk for my self. Got some planning to do :love:

that looks great! How'd you do that?

I watched a lot of videos on how to use epoxy, and create the wave effect. Did one very small trail run. My lesson learned was, I mixed 4 different colors, I should have had at least one extra person mixin and helping to pour, because the setup on the epoxy was shorter than I thought on a bigger scale. The desktop is 30inch x 48inches.

I then attached it to a standup desk frame. I definitely could improve based on above lessons learned, but this was a one and done project. All-in-all happy the results and the look and feel of my work space.

I watched a lot of videos on how to use epoxy, and create the wave effect. Did one very small trail run. My lesson learned was, I mixed 4 different colors, I should have had at least one extra person mixin and helping to pour, because the setup on the epoxy was shorter than I thought on a bigger scale. The desktop is 30inch x 48inches.

I then attached it to a standup desk frame. I definitely could improve based on above lessons learned, but this was a one and done project. All-in-all happy the results and the look and feel of my work space.
What epoxy did you use?

What epoxy did you use?

Pro Marine was what I ended up with. Price point, and 1-to-1 mixture was what I used. (not smart enough for anything but 1-to-1 lol)

Pro Marine was what I ended up with. Price point, and 1-to-1 mixture was what I used. (not smart enough for anything but 1-to-1 lol)
How did it flow on? Was it thick like typical epoxy or did flow more like syrup and less like molasses?

How did it flow on? Was it thick like typical epoxy or did flow more like syrup and less like molasses?

Bear in mind this was my first epoxy project, but I discovered in real time, if poured within a few minutes of mixing (3-5'ish minutes) it poured easily and spread nicely. Anything outside of that it was a "thick pour". That was the lesson learned of having multiple mixers/pour'ers ... get it on the surface quickly. I would mix the white(waves) after I had the other colors on the surface.

I also ended up doing two layers of of blue to try and cover some mistakes.

I had two containers of clear that I mixed first ... one container was unusable when I went to use.

I watched one video where they even suggested multiple people, but I am hardheaded.

I want to do some zero edge stuff next, with a "river" running through the piece.

My first attempt at epoxy ... wanted a beach scene while I worked ... I love the beach ... of course I live on an island anyway ... at least in my head.View attachment 8947014
That's really cool! I've been seriously contemplating making a live edge cutting board lately I just need to break down and buy the supplies. Nice work!

Was thinking of ways that I could store my golf bag as I have a hatchback so the trunk of my car doesn't work anymore. I don't like to walk them all the way down to my basement as I like to keep them close in the case I'm heading to work and I decide I'll throw them in my car in case I have some down time at work. As I'm trying to pickup some woodworking skills I thought "I wonder if any THP'ers have made a "locker" of sort out of wood to store their clubs? So has anyone made anything to store their clubs in? I'm thinking something that I can just store in my garage with doors that could possibly be locked with a simple padlock. If I were to venture down this road, What wood would you suggest? Sorry, I'm a beginner when it comes to woodworking, I'm assuming a wood that would be durable, but not overly expensive.

Anyone have any tips on easy ways to making sure that your chop saw blade is straight? I typically just use my speed square but it seems as though my cuts are usually off just a bit. I have a Chicago Electric saw so I know they aren't the highest quality. Just looking for ideas.

Sorry for all the questions! What are people's thoughts on Milwaukee tools? I have been using Dewalt for awhile now for my drills and such but I'm thinking of switching to Milwaukee just because while building a 1400 sqft deck, I was so impressed by their battery life and power. That was their drill but does anyone have any thoughts on their saws?

Anyone have any tips on easy ways to making sure that your chop saw blade is straight? I typically just use my speed square but it seems as though my cuts are usually off just a bit. I have a Chicago Electric saw so I know they aren't the highest quality. Just looking for ideas.
There’s probably a little slop in your hinge (is this a slider or standard CMS?) When you use the saw make sure you’re not introducing any lateral force when making the cut. A good sharp blade will help avoid problems also.

Back