Woodworking / Furniture Building

alright everyone, bonus' came in so I'm looking at finally pulling the trigger on a new 12" miter saw. I have been eyeing the Bosch for the past couple months, it is pricey but it looks pretty nice and is a bit more compact. Anything I should be looking at before I pull the trigger on the Bosch? I don't want battery powered is the for sure thing.

alright everyone, bonus' came in so I'm looking at finally pulling the trigger on a new 12" miter saw. I have been eyeing the Bosch for the past couple months, it is pricey but it looks pretty nice and is a bit more compact. Anything I should be looking at before I pull the trigger on the Bosch? I don't want battery powered is the for sure thing.
Pull that trigger.

I assume you mean the GCM12SD, 12” sliding compound miter saw? I own one. It is fantastic. The articulating action is smooth and does its job. There is no droop when it’s extended like there is sometimes with rails. It has plenty of power, and I’ve never had a single problem with mine.

The only step up from there is the Festool Kapex, and reviews seem to be mixed on it. Some people love what Festool did with it. Others prefer the Bosch. It’s quite a bit more expensive though.

I say you won’t be disappointed with the Bosch. It’s a great saw.

I'm getting ready to build a workbench and I'm trying to decide on which type & brand of vise to incorporate.

I already have a swiveling machinist's vise on a different bench:
vise 2.jpg

I want a front vise, and probably an end vise. Some of the different models that have been recommended by different people on various websites:
This Wilton front vise: Built like a tank, but a bit expensive at $258
1609041576069.png

This Yost 10" vise: A lot cheaper at $80 - no quick release mechanism that I can see; a lot of people seem to think that's a good feature
1609041722586.png

The Rockler Quick release vise: $160
1609041896128.png

Some people really like this all wood Vise from Lake Erie Toolworks: $230
1609042376092.png
And then there's this Sjobergs vise: pretty expensive at $275
1609043174388.png
The more I look into it, the more confused I'm getting.

Those of you that do a lot of furniture building: What vises do you use? Any recommendations?

Attachments

• vise 1.jpg
    vise 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
This was a pretty simple little business card holder but it was nice to be in the garage making some sawdust again. I also took some time to get rid of some surface rust on the table saw and wax the top again.

55477CDF-266F-4860-BD95-2725C9C73937.jpeg

Bumping to get opinions on the relative merits of different vises, and to see what people use. Does anyone use an end vise? How many of you use bench dogs to hold work in place?

I'm getting ready to build a workbench and I'm trying to decide on which type & brand of vise to incorporate.

I already have a swiveling machinist's vise on a different bench:
View attachment 8984040

I want a front vise, and probably an end vise. Some of the different models that have been recommended by different people on various websites:
This Wilton front vise: Built like a tank, but a bit expensive at $258
View attachment 8984041

This Yost 10" vise: A lot cheaper at $80 - no quick release mechanism that I can see; a lot of people seem to think that's a good feature
View attachment 8984043

The Rockler Quick release vise: $160
View attachment 8984044

Some people really like this all wood Vise from Lake Erie Toolworks: $230
View attachment 8984046
And then there's this Sjobergs vise: pretty expensive at $275
View attachment 8984048
The more I look into it, the more confused I'm getting.

Those of you that do a lot of furniture building: What vises do you use? Any recommendations?
What kind of workbench are you building? You can build your vises into the bench itself or add them on later. When I built my bench I did a leg vise on the left front and a tail vise on the right side lined up with a row of dog holes. If you do a lot of work with hand tools bench dogs and dog holes are highly recommended. If you’re mostly power tools you can use other ways to hold your work in place.

I also have a basic work table with a couple of Record style vises that I’ll use for some quick jobs or when I don’t want to clear my main bench off.

Anyone do cutting boards/charceuterie boards?

My brother did a board for my mother for Christmas, but said it was a pain in the butt. Of course my grand plan was to start doing them this year as gifts for next Christmas lol.

What kind of workbench are you building? You can build your vises into the bench itself or add them on later. When I built my bench I did a leg vise on the left front and a tail vise on the right side lined up with a row of dog holes. If you do a lot of work with hand tools bench dogs and dog holes are highly recommended. If you’re mostly power tools you can use other ways to hold your work in place.

I also have a basic work table with a couple of Record style vises that I’ll use for some quick jobs or when I don’t want to clear my main bench off.

I'm planning on building the vises into the bench itself - more like a typical woodshop bench. What vises do you have?

I was also wondering - what web sites /woodworking forums do you visit or belong to? I'm wondering where is the best place to ask questions & get help (other than here of course lol!)

My brother did a board for my mother for Christmas, but said it was a pain in the butt. Of course my grand plan was to start doing them this year as gifts for next Christmas lol.
3A4BA7DB-46E4-4429-BD2F-D8F7BF6CBF9E.jpeg
4AA6B696-DD6F-4A99-93B8-36F7D3435B9E.jpeg

I did this a few years ago and another similar last winter. They are definitely time consuming and can be tough to do when you don't have the ideal tools.

My brother did one similar design wise.

What tools did you use for it?
The table and miter saws were used the most. I also used a router table, belt sander and oscillating sander. I think that was it for the most part.

Trying to get the cutting surface flat sucked with only having hand sanders. The second one I built a router sled to flatten the board which was a little better but time consuming.

I figured a router sled would be a time saver for flattening. Planer looks super usefull too, but I am not rushing out to grab one to make the first one or two.

I always laugh at the videos of people making them in a "tutorial", and they almost always say they have made a mistake in the video lol.

Reactions: KEV
I figured a router sled would be a time saver for flattening. Planer looks super usefull too, but I am not rushing out to grab one to make the first one or two.

I always laugh at the videos of people making them in a "tutorial", and they almost always say they have made a mistake in the video lol.
Oh man, I made plenty of mistakes on both of the ones I made. I just tell people I didn't upcharge for the "character" I added :ROFLMAO:.

I don't but they're as easy or as hard as you want to make them. Try making a couple and see if you actually want too keep doing it 😁

I don't but they're as easy or as hard as you want to make them. Try making a couple and see if you actually want too keep doing it 😁
That's exactly right. A person could easily make some that aren't super involved and time consuming.

I'm planning on building the vises into the bench itself - more like a typical woodshop bench. What vises do you have?
For the leg vise I used hardware similar to the tail view screw at Lee Valley and for the end vise I used the screw and handle from an old bench vise I had lying around.

I was also wondering - what web sites /woodworking forums do you visit or belong to? I'm wondering where is the best place to ask questions & get help (other than here of course lol!)
I used to frequent the WoodNet forums but don't visit as often as I used to. Woodweb was also a good forum but I'm not sure if it's still around. Sawmill Creek is analogous to GolfWRX, I don't recommend it.

That's exactly right. A person could easily make some that aren't super involved and time consuming.
I'd you do get to making a bunch of them your best friend will become a drum sander.
58452-01-1000.jpg

I'd you do get to making a bunch of them your best friend will become a drum sander.
58452-01-1000.jpg
That would be so nice. I just about pulled the trigger on a used one a few weeks back, man would it be nice. I just don't think I would use it enough to make it worth the purchase. I'm sure in three months I'll regret it though :ROFLMAO:.

That would be so nice. I just about pulled the trigger on a used one a few weeks back, man would it be nice. I just don't think I would use it enough to make it worth the purchase. I'm sure in three months I'll regret it though :ROFLMAO:.
You get one and you'll look forward to making those cutting boards nice and flat 👍

Reactions: KEV
@Grins my Dad was a HS shop teacher for about 30 years and had those Wilton vices on the shop tables for nearly the entire time. Those things almost never had issues.

I have a viseless bench, using dog holes, stops, and holdfasts for workholding, but I do have a Moxon vise that sits on top of the bench when I need it.

Long grain cutting boards are super easy to make versus end grain cutting boards. Sure, they show cut marks more than end grain, but I think the cuts add charm and character to the piece as it ages. It shows it’s well used and loved. End grain boards are also too busy for my eye. I much prefer the look of flat sawn long grain on a cutting board. This one was my favorite of the few I made.

0D1861B3-FF22-4989-A0DF-0B59E57B6AA6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back