Woodworking / Furniture Building

I was also wondering - what web sites /woodworking forums do you visit or belong to? I'm wondering where is the best place to ask questions & get help (other than here of course lol!)

I’ve been a member of Shannon Roger’s Hand Tool School since I started woodworking. The group of people in the forums there are just plain outstanding. The only catch is that the forums are private for students only. You’d have to purchase one of his classes or join his apprenticeship program, but the upside is that his instruction is second to none. He turned me from someone who was terrified of hand tools into a confident woodworker that’s not really afraid to try anything. If you told me fIve years ago that I would be building instruments, I would have said you were crazy.

Long grain cutting boards are super easy to make versus end grain cutting boards. Sure, they show cut marks more than end grain, but I think the cuts add charm and character to the piece as it ages. It shows it’s well used and loved. End grain boards are also too busy for my eye. I much prefer the look of flat sawn long grain on a cutting board. This one was my favorite of the few I made.

View attachment 8984297

What woods did you go with on that one? Looks good!

I'd you do get to making a bunch of them your best friend will become a drum sander.
58452-01-1000.jpg

This is definitely the right tool for end grain boards. Much better than a planer for making a near finished surface. No chance of chip out or snipe. I’d like to get one some day for thicknessing acoustic instrument tops and backs.

I have a viseless bench, using dog holes, stops, and holdfasts for workholding, but I do have a Moxon vise that sits on top of the bench when I need it.

Long grain cutting boards are super easy to make versus end grain cutting boards. Sure, they show cut marks more than end grain, but I think the cuts add charm and character to the piece as it ages. It shows it’s well used and loved. End grain boards are also too busy for my eye. I much prefer the look of flat sawn long grain on a cutting board. This one was my favorite of the few I made.

View attachment 8984297
I like the match-up of the grain pattern between the left & center piece. And I also get a bit tired of the end grain patterns. Makes me want to
1609132859303.png

I’ve been a member of Shannon Roger’s Hand Tool School since I started woodworking. The group of people in the forums there are just plain outstanding. The only catch is that the forums are private for students only. You’d have to purchase one of his classes or join his apprenticeship program, but the upside is that his instruction is second to none. He turned me from someone who was terrified of hand tools into a confident woodworker that’s not really afraid to try anything. If you told me fIve years ago that I would be building instruments, I would have said you were crazy.

That's pretty cool! Can't swing the cost right now - but maybe when I retire - that should keep me out of trouble?:ROFLMAO:
I love Shannon's story:

@Grins my Dad was a HS shop teacher for about 30 years and had those Wilton vices on the shop tables for nearly the entire time. Those things almost never had issues.

Yeah they look like you can hand them down to your great grandkids. Thanks for the info!

So following along from Shannon Rogers' site, I stumbled into the Wood Talk podcast series & found one on bench vises:

And they all are saying how much they love the Benchcrafted leg vises...but that's a lot of cash.

I guess I'll just get something cheaper. I'm sure they're great, but I think I better focus on actually building stuff vs. making a beautiful bench to make wood shavings.

alright everyone, bonus' came in so I'm looking at finally pulling the trigger on a new 12" miter saw. I have been eyeing the Bosch for the past couple months, it is pricey but it looks pretty nice and is a bit more compact. Anything I should be looking at before I pull the trigger on the Bosch? I don't want battery powered is the for sure thing.
Bosch makes some great tools. No reason to doubt that one, in my opinion.

I have a viseless bench, using dog holes, stops, and holdfasts for workholding, but I do have a Moxon vise that sits on top of the bench when I need it.

View attachment 8984297
That's a handsome looking piece.

Totally overkill but I'd love to have this - I'd feel like I was a character in a Japanese anime steampunk movie:

1609140309704.png

So following along from Shannon Rogers' site, I stumbled into the Wood Talk podcast series & found one on bench vises:

And they all are saying how much they love the Benchcrafted leg vises...but that's a lot of cash.

I guess I'll just get something cheaper. I'm sure they're great, but I think I better focus on actually building stuff vs. making a beautiful bench to make wood shavings.

I have a Benchcrafted Moxon vise kit that I really need to get around to building. It’s been sitting in the box in my shop for a few years now. They make really nice hardware.

My dream leg vise is a Hovarter. Acme screws are great, but the Hovarter quick release is way cool.

I have a Benchcrafted Moxon vise kit that I really need to get around to building. It’s been sitting in the box in my shop for a few years now. They make really nice hardware.

My dream leg vise is a Hovarter. Acme screws are great, but the Hovarter quick release is way cool.

$140 is downright reasonable for that vise.

I'm still trying to figure out how the quick release works on this vise. They show a pin on the item page, but the video doesn't show the guy pulling any pin or putting it back in. Do you know how it works?

I think that's just for the vise part. Then it's $95 for the X-link mechanism & $45 for wood handle, $60 for small wheel, or $75 for large wheel.

Yeah, because it’s customizable, the Hovarter site is misleading at first glance about the total price. I should have mentioned that in my post. It comes out to ~$300 with everything included.

I think that's just for the vise part. Then it's $95 for the X-link mechanism & $45 for wood handle, $60 for small wheel, or $75 for large wheel.

I like the look of this one too.
Too good to be true. Oh well I guess I'll be sticking with my current setup

I'm still trying to figure out how the quick release works on this vise. They show a pin on the item page, but the video doesn't show the guy pulling any pin or putting it back in. Do you know how it works?

I think there’s some kind of clutch mechanism in play, but I’m not really sure. Did you watch the Wood By Wright video where he installs one on his bench too?

I think there’s some kind of clutch mechanism in play, but I’m not really sure. Did you watch the Wood By Wright video where he installs one on his bench too?

Yeah - that is pretty cool! The vise - not making everything with hand tools (ugh!)

What I think I could do is make the bench with room for this leg vise as a later add-on. Gotta have dreams & goals for the future!

Yeah, because it’s customizable, the Hovarter site is misleading at first glance about the total price. I should have mentioned that in my post. It comes out to ~$300 with everything included.
For how well that works, that price doesn't seem too outrageous. But it's not in the current budget unfortunately

not making everything with hand tools (ugh!)

What I think I could do is make the bench with room for this leg vise as a later add-on. Gotta have dreams & goals for the future!

It’s not as bad as you might think using only hand tools. In fact, it’s incredibly peaceful. No loud machines. No dust. If my hands/wrists could take it, I’d still be hand tool only.

You can definitely add a vise later. I built my bench without one, but I prepped for one by using 4x6’s for the legs.

Do you have a particular bench style you’re planning to build? Roubo? Moravian? Nicholson?

It’s not as bad as you might think using only hand tools. In fact, it’s incredibly peaceful. No loud machines. No dust. If my hands/wrists could take it, I’d still be hand tool only.

You can definitely add a vise later. I built my bench without one, but I prepped for one by using 4x6’s for the legs.

Do you have a particular bench style you’re planning to build? Roubo? Moravian? Nicholson?

Some kind of hybrid. I'm thinking top will be 4 sheets of 3/4" MDF with hardwood edge band. I like the idea of the front face of the entire bench acting as the back surface of the front vise, and maybe having a sliding leg with holdfast holes (saw that somewhere on youtube I think). Just needs to be heavy & flat. And I'll put wheels the flip up/down so I can move it around my little basement shop.

I'll probably make it so I can disassemble the legs & stretchers from the top if I have to move it. My dad's old bench I had to tear apart because it was too big to fit down the stairs:mad:

Thanks for the info Kraken. Did you pick all of this up from the Shannon Rogers course? I'd be interested in hearing about your woodworking journey - maybe worthy of a separate thread?

Thanks for the info Kraken. Did you pick all of this up from the Shannon Rogers course? I'd be interested in hearing about your woodworking journey - maybe worthy of a separate thread?

Thanks. I don’t know that my journey is all that interesting, or even unique, but when I get interested in something, I obsessively learn everything I can about it.

In addition to the Hand Tool School (HTS), I’ve also watched hundreds of hours of YouTube videos. It’s hard to remember where I picked up which bits of knowledge now, but the main source for my knowledge is absolutely the Hand Tool School from both the courses and extensive forum participation. The official HTS courses were invaluable in teaching me to think like a woodworker, break any project down into a smaller parts, understand how to plan, and then execute my build.

The HTS forums are to woodworking what THP is to golf. If I ever have a question, someone will provide an answer, usually within a few hours. Most people there also keep an “apprentice log” where they document their projects, problems, and solutions. I learned a ton from following other people as they completed their projects.

And just in case “Hand Tool” is scaring anyone away, there are plenty of people there who use a mixture of hand and power tools. The course material is absolutely focused on hand tool only approach, but the forums are not elitist at all. I’ve learned plenty about power tools there too.

I truly believe that knowing how to use hand tools will make anyone a better woodworker. I’ll watch some YouTube videos of power tool only guys jumping through hoops to make some cut and just shake my head at how complicated they make something that’s dead simple to do with hand tools.

I am very glad that I spent a few years working with nothing but hand tools before putting a single power tool in my shop. Give me a chisel, plane, saw, mallet, and square, and I can build tons of stuff with it.

Back