Worst "Bag" currently on THP!

I still have a Ram Zebra that my wife bought me 28 years ago when me first got married and I still use it from time to time when I am having problems with the Sabertooth.The Zebra makes alignment so much easier .

Ok guys....I'm nearly done with the 2011 upgrade!! I got a new Sun Mountain C-130 bag and an Odyssey White Ice #7 putter for Father's day! If you recall, I had a Belding stand bag circa 1998, a RAM zebra putter, an old Lynx SW, a Tommy Armour Driver, no hybrids, the Titleist 904 f 3 wood and my 845 irons when I started the upgrade. I'm keeping the 3 wood right now, because I'm hitting it damn good, but I still need some new irons. I'm close...real close to having a complete bag. But I have to admit, I'm enjoying the hell out of testing and searching for new gear. I'm afraid I might become...an equipment ho. Yikes, I said it.

Ok guys....I'm nearly done with the 2011 upgrade!! I got a new Sun Mountain C-130 bag and an Odyssey White Ice #7 putter for Father's day! If you recall, I had a Belding stand bag circa 1998, a RAM zebra putter, an old Lynx SW, a Tommy Armour Driver, no hybrids, the Titleist 904 f 3 wood and my 845 irons when I started the upgrade. I'm keeping the 3 wood right now, because I'm hitting it damn good, but I still need some new irons. I'm close...real close to having a complete bag. But I have to admit, I'm enjoying the hell out of testing and searching for new gear. I'm afraid I might become...an equipment ho. Yikes, I said it.

I just saw this thread for the first time. When I read your first post and looked at your signature, I thought you were crazy! Then I realized it was a little old. Congrats on the awesome upgrades, and I'm sure you'll find some new irons real soon. And being an equipment ho isn't bad, haha. If I had the money I would probably be one too.

I tried all those irons you mentioned and the Ping G15's as well, definitely try the Pings!

I have a few sets under consideration right now: Cleveland CG16's, Mizuno JPX 800, TM Burner 2.0 and the Callaway Razr X's. I've swung all of these at my golf store, but haven't put them on the computers yet. I'm hoping to do that this weekend. So, I'm getting closer to making a determination.

I'll throw the TM Burner SuperLaunch's name into the hat. I picked them a couple months ago at Dick's and love them. I guess they're considered SGI and I hit them great. Very forgiving and they are definitely on the more affordable side. I got a combo set (3h,4h and 5-PW) for right around $500, IIRC.
I was kinda in the same boat as you, off from the game for awhile (7 years) and just getting back into it. I've already shaved 8 off my handicap from the beginning of the year. Don't know if that's the clubs or just working the rust off, but either way, I love me some SuperLaunch's right now.

Good luck on the rest of your search.

looks like you've been able to build up quite an impressive bag!

make sure to check out the THP Marketplace for sweet deals on new irons.

oh and Welcome to THP!

Good luck with your search. As everyone has said, you've come to the right site to get unbiased opinions on clubs. I used to have a set of 845s. I gave them to my father-in-law in place of his old Wilson blades. He loves them. I don't think those 845s will ever see the inside of my house again!

Try out as many different clubs as you can. Winnow it down slowly, and VOILA! You'll have what fits for you.

AND....GET FITTED!

I finally did it. I tested a number of irons out last week and ended up selecting the Burner 2.0 irons! I had them fitted and got them out this past weekend for three rounds at Chateau Elan and Reunion just outside of Atlanta. It took me until the final nine holes to really settle into the clubs, but I got there. I'm set now except I LOST my new Cleveland CG15 50* wedge. Now I have to go buy another damn wedge.

Ok, now that I've enjoyed quite a few hours on THP, read great threads on irons, putters, contests, golf courses, THP Outings and many others, I have come to the realization that I probably have the worst equipment setup of any of the THP members! Not that it matters to me, because I'm building my bag now and hope to have it up to date by the end of June. I got the R11 a couple of weeks ago and I'm on the hunt for the best iron set for my game. I have learned a lot reading through the threads and have changed my mind a little bit about just what I want to "test" over the next few weeks. I just want to say,THANKS,:thp: for all of the knowledge that you guys share here. I feel more confident I'll get fitted with the right clubs!

I'm not sure if your signature now was the setup you had when you wrote this, but if it was, your bag is 100 times a better setup than mine. My "Bag" all together was $150 for the bag, woods, irons and putter and came in a bag from ShopKo...ya, needless to say my bag is getting a COMPLETE overhaul.

I just read your post from today and notice you got the Burner 2.0. These are actually one of three sets of irons I have narrowed my selection down to.

Huskerfan...I'm updating the signature as I go, so what you see is my NEW bag!! When I started, I had a Belding stand bag circa 1998, a RAM zebra putter, an old Lynx SW, a Tommy Armour Driver, no hybrids, the Titleist 904 f 3 wood and my 845 irons, most circa 1997! I'm feeling pretty good about my setup now. All I need now is to play alot more rounds!!!

I finally did it. I tested a number of irons out last week and ended up selecting the Burner 2.0 irons! I had them fitted and got them out this past weekend for three rounds at Chateau Elan and Reunion just outside of Atlanta. It took me until the final nine holes to really settle into the clubs, but I got there. I'm set now except I LOST my new Cleveland CG15 50* wedge. Now I have to go buy another damn wedge.

I also did a much needed upgrade this year. The only irons I swung were: Cobra S3s, TM 2.0s, and JPX 800s. I went with the 800s. What made you choose the 2.0s?

Huskerfan...I'm updating the signature as I go, so what you see is my NEW bag!! When I started, I had a Belding stand bag circa 1998, a RAM zebra putter, an old Lynx SW, a Tommy Armour Driver, no hybrids, the Titleist 904 f 3 wood and my 845 irons, most circa 1997! I'm feeling pretty good about my setup now. All I need now is to play alot more rounds!!!

Congrats on the sticks Storm.
Hit 'em well.

Wow what an upgrade from your previous bag.. scores should start to drop big time!

I also did a much needed upgrade this year. The only irons I swung were: Cobra S3s, TM 2.0s, and JPX 800s. I went with the 800s. What made you choose the 2.0s?

tgtt, I swung all of those as well as the CG16's and the Razr's. I was on the computer and my distance and ball flight was better with the Burners than the others. I actually went in thinking JPX or Cleveland, but the Taylormades fit me better.

Well man, that bag you have no is pretty sweet. Congrats on all the sticks man, and go and hit em well.

Who has the worst golf bag at the moment?

>>This Guy<<
answer-boy.gif

Is there a problem? What irons am I playing? What wedges?

Did I say the driver was bad in my post?

OMG.
Some people look at testing as an incredible opportunity
To then say that I have the worst bag on THP some might look at as a slap in the face to the company providing that driver for you to test.

They certainly are. I played a set when I first got into the game about 6 years ago. I wish I still had them, I think they're timeless.

I am really enjoying my 845 combos. I picked them up super cheap used.

Storm,
Looks like your bag is coming together nicely. I am looking to replace my hybrid (i got sucked into the warrior golf commercial on golf channel haha. Luckily they never scammed me like they seem to a lot of people (online research), what made you go with the mashie?

Last edited:
Gotcha.
OMG.
Some people look at testing as an incredible opportunity
To then say that I have the worst bag on THP some might look at as a slap in the face to the company providing that driver for you to test.

Other than my driver, which I am testing and loving thus far, Im pretty sure I have the worst bag on THP.

Other than my driver and putter, I'm almost positive I have the worst bag on THP. My irons must be 10 years old... they probably cost my father in law $20.

I will dig up some picks of my bag 6 months ago to make you all feel better. It was a freakin horror show.

Look upon it in terror. This used to be the worst bag on THP. Now mine is okay.

Lets see.

My bag from the side. Its a dunlop from a starter set. I dont like the bag, but I like the color
SDC10058.jpg

This is a pic of my two drivers, as well as my rarely used 3-wood. One is a Nike SuMo2, which I use for low trajectory, stinger shots, and te other is a clone of the r7, which I use for general purpose, as it is a little longer and a little straighter. I think the faiway wood is one of the first generation TM burner fairway woods. I use it pretty much exclusivly for chipping. It is just too hard to hit.
SDC10060.jpg

Next up are my irons. They are Powerbilt TPS cavitys. I think they are about the same age as my burner wood. If you look in the bottom, You will see my two wedges, a 48* Pitching wedge, and a 56* sand wedge, which are from my first set, so they are a little short, so I cant hit full shots as easily as I should with them, but they have never let me down aroung the green when I was in a dicey lie. It will pain me to replace them at the end of this year, when I plan to adjust for the new groove rule.
SDC10061.jpg

Last is my putter. Like the wedges, it is from my junior set. It needs replaced too. I hate that thing.
SDC10062.jpg

Thats my stuff. I am replacing the irons at the end of the year. Might need a new bag to go with the new clubs...

Back