Worst Round Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine just now about a terrible round he just wrapped up. No, not slow play or bad conditions, but scoring.

My friend plays to about an 8 handicap and shot 106 today, with a single par on the day. Apparently things were going really well until the first tee shot, which went into the water.

So it dawned on me a thread like this is probably needed and could be a confessional or therapy of sorts :)

5 years ago.....was absolutely killing the ball. Anything I wanted to make it do, easy. 3 rounds leading up to a big tournament was all sub par.
Tournament day: 91

it was as close to being abducted by aliens, brainwashed, and so lost during a round of golf I’ve ever had.

side note : 1st hole striped tee shot down middle, 8 iron to 4 ft. Birdie start.

I will take the back 9 during singles at La Costa back during the 2015 The King event where I fell apart and lost my shot at VIP and a spot in that years Grandaddy.

I have had so many bad ones I don’t know where to start. The worst was probably right after I started playing. I mean I know I was not supposed to be great or anything but I think I lost a dozen balls in the first 4 holes. If I remember correctly I lost 8 on the fourth hole alone. 4 holes was enough. I just went back to the parking lot, loaded up the car, and went home. No point punishing myself any worse when I was obviously having a serious issue that day.

A week before the 2019 THP Championship I shot 101 in my league semi-final. I was in the running for the trophy prior to this and completely torpedoed my whole season.

My tee shot on #1 plugged into the sod face of a bunker and I made a 9. It just unraveled further and further from there. I birdied 18 just for S & Gs too lol.

I was talking to a friend of mine just now about a terrible round he just wrapped up. No, not slow play or bad conditions, but scoring.

My friend plays to about an 8 handicap and shot 106 today, with a single par on the day. Apparently things were going really well until the first tee shot, which went into the water.

So it dawned on me a thread like this is probably needed and could be a confessional or therapy of sorts :)

Haha indeed it could be :)

Recently played at my home course, scored out at 80 and was very happy. Next day, same conditions, same people, boo, 91 and miffed.

Out yesterday with my better half and again similar score of 90. She was miffed (actually more than miffed) at her score and was questioning why she played so bad against her handicap (another story, but wasn't as bad as she thought), me I was pissed at the 7 GIR on the back and all 3 putts :eek:

Aye, its only a game, so I'm chillin with that thought, these things pop up and happen :cool:

Beginning of this year, 2nd round. First round was decent considering it was cold and I hadn't played around since November. Shot 82. Second round, not so much.

It had snowed 6 inches during the week then all melted in the days before so everything was soaked. I could get off the tee and got absolutely no roll on anything. On top of that, I seemed to hit fat on any short iron or wedge. The only saving grace was my putting.

Ended up shooting 97, my high for the year.

• Admin
The ups and downs of golf are mind boggling! That’s why I love it.

of recent years it would be a 104 (Par 72) on a warm January day

shot an even 100 at Indian Canyon before the THP Championship

front nine of the THP Championship at CDA, 56(!) in shamble(!) - shot 40 the back nine

Dropped a 97 at a resort course outside Austin, Wolfdancer, earlier this year. There was not much room for error on that course and my driver was gone

Thats is FL every round.
Oye. I have a picture of a drive I actually got into that backed up 18 inches.....on a drive.....in the fairway.....:oops:

Shoot I think I shot a 115 or whatever at Aviara after the THCE

Played at Troon North Pinnacle last March and basically forgot how to play golf for 18 holes. Had shot 77 the day before and I would guess I shot close to 100. I wouldn’t know because I just flat out stopped keeping score and picked up a number of times. Worst rd I’ve ever played and it was extra bad that it happened at a really nice and expensive course that I had really been looking forward to playing.

I'm a 26 and I'm bummed when I shoot a 106. To do that as an 8 . . . .

Dropped a 97 at a resort course outside Austin, Wolfdancer, earlier this year. There was not much room for error on that course and my driver was gone

Yeah that is a tough course. I think I shot an 83 out there a couple months ago and I wasn’t playing bad either. There are several approach shot that are hard to judge and a few greens that are very deceptive and hard to read. Otherwise it’s a great course.

Last summer playing as a single on the course I’ve played a bunch. I could not string two shots together. No matter what it was it just was all out of whack. Ended with a 103 and I really puzzled on what just happened.

I don't remember if I played worse during THPAmbition or the Ultimate Testing Vokey event. Both were bad, but at least during the Vokey event I had barely had a chance to play the prior 3 months. No excuses for Ambition. Funny, because I was a stripe show on the range (until I got to hybrid). First event nerves, man. They can get you.

Outside of THP Events, I've had some rough rounds, but none that stand out anything crazy. :unsure:

I don't know about worst 18 but I remember my worst 9 minus learning how to golf. About 4-5 years a go playing with @Nerdy_81 at Safari Golf Club for our first round of the year I couldn't hit the ball at all and shot 58 on the front. I wanted to quit, somehow shot 38 on the back. I don't know what clicked because if it wouldn't have I might have stopped playing all together lol.

This is perfect timing, and I definitely need therapy as I’ve been depressed as hell since it happened. Yesterday I was due to play Pebble Beach for the second time. I made reference in a couple of threads. Weather has been great since Christmas, but yesterday we had a rogue storm come through. At 1030, an hour before our tee time, they stopped play for flooded greens.. play resumed just after 11. We tee’d off about 40 minutes late. It soon became clear the course was once again becoming unplayable. By the time we got to the 3rd, the fairways and greens were flooded, and that was with a green keeper and his squeegee.
3fea5d2e1d4675b87af84157b401096c.jpg

We managed to get hold of the course manager, but he refused to close the course. He admitted conditions were “difficult” but explained the rules of golf allow for relief from casual water. I tried to get an answer as to where we drop if the whole green is flooded but he couldn’t offer one. We asked if the Pro Am in a couple of weeks would carry on his this weather to which he replied yes (BS).
Well it turns out, 3 of my partners managed to get a rain check for today and are currently playing in sunny conditions. Due to work, I couldn’t make it, so I got the tough luck attitude from the course. 425 for 3 holes. Don’t get me wrong, I can handle playing in the wind and rain, but the course has to be playable, not completely flooded. I feel completely cheated. It’s clear the course just wants to rack up money and will send people out whatever the conditions. I’ve been sulking about it ever since. Nothing else even comes close to that being the worst round (or part round) of my life!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure if any round is a worse round, but some are simply worse than others. I like all of them. Not long ago I played a round with two other guys and it rained on us from hole 12-18 and I still pulled off something like a 103 and the rain was dripping off my hat and the clubs felt like grease while hitting, especially my putter. It was hard to keep it straight.

Maybe that can be considered a worse round, but was still worth it. When we got back the parking lot was empty and we were the only three left on the course. We were soaked big time.

This is perfect timing, and I definitely need therapy as I’ve been depressed as hell since it happened. Yesterday I was due to play Pebble Beach for the second time. I made reference in a couple of threads. Weather has been great since Christmas, but yesterday we had a rogue storm come through. At 1030, an hour before our tee time, they stopped play for flooded greens.. play resumed just after 11. We tee’d off about 40 minutes late. It soon became clear the course was once again becoming unplayable. By the time we got to the 3rd, the fairways and greens were flooded, and that was with a green keeper and his squeegee.
3fea5d2e1d4675b87af84157b401096c.jpg

We managed to get hold of the course manager, but he refused to close the course. He admitted conditions were “difficult” but explained the rules of golf allow for relief from casual water. I tried to get an answer as to where we drop if the whole green is flooded but he couldn’t offer one. We asked if the Pro Am in a couple of weeks would carry on his this weather to which he replied yes (BS).
Well it turns out, 3 of my partners managed to get a rain check for today and are currently playing in sunny conditions. Due to work, I couldn’t make it, so I got the tough luck attitude from the course. 425 for 3 holes. Don’t get me wrong, I can handle playing in the wind and rain, but the course has to be playable, not completely flooded. I feel completely cheated. It’s clear the course just wants to rack up money and will send people out whatever the conditions. I’ve been sulking about it ever since. Nothing else even comes close to that being the worst round (or part round) of my life!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's brutal

Last season. Had just won my flight in a tournament playing at a 14 with scores of 82 and 87. Being super excited about it, I went out the next weekend. Perfect weather. Ended up shooting 108:poop::poop:. I hadn't shot in the 100's for about 2 years at that point. Felt awful about it for about two weeks lol

A couple of months ago in a tourney with @darthweasel I was what I call "over the edge of the cliff" bad. Blading and chunking chips, two way miss, topping balls...just everything. I begged Drew to quit after 15. Because he's a good friend he let me out of my misery. Because he's a great friend he still plays golf with me afterward.

Shot a 111 this May at Blackwolf Run - Meadow Valley. Played decent there a day before and might as well of been learning golf for the first time.

Back