Worst Shot Scramble

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Sounds kind of hilarious, no?

"nice chip in bro, better grab that ball and come over to my duffed chip :ROFLMAO:"

Anyone tried this? I kind of want to with someone in my realm of skill (to make it interesting). What do you think you could shoot with someone in a similar skill set?

Last edited:
I played worst ball with 2 balls and just me for 9. I think I shot 45 or something. If you are playing well then isn't crazy hard to make pars, birdies are hard and 1 bad swing and you are in a world of hurt.

It’s a great idea - something I’d propose for our Pros day which is a bit of fun.

I’ve never done it as a scramble but I’ve played two balls and used the worst one up until I was on the green before. It sounded like a good idea at the time

That would be interesting! In my old Men's league scrambles, the C player is often a scrub duffer....ha, could be painful

I have not done it but it would be fun with someone of the same ability. Lot’s of pressure after the first ball is in the fairway, on the green, or in the hole. When I was in college we use to play a two tie all tie skins game as a foursome or fivesome. Skins were carried over and very often no skins were won until the back nine. I remember taking all 18 skins once by winning 17 and 18 while shooting the highest score in the group.

I wonder if the group I played behind yesterday was doing that. Man were they slow! I had 2 old ladies dribbling it around and still pressing me from behind and I had nowhere to go.

I played 2 balls best ball by myself once. Shot a 65. Felt pretty good about that. Then I read how Tiger played a 2 ball worst ball to check his game prepping for his comeback. Shot a 65. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"nice chip in bro, better grab that ball and come over to my duffed chip :ROFLMAO:"

Anyone tried this? I kind of want to with someone in my realm of skill (to make it interesting). What do you think you could shoot with someone in a similar skill set?
The answer is Under par

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This sounds fun...could you imagine a chip in and then a hosel rocket? Could end up farther from the hole than you started hahahahhaha

We did something similar to this during one of our league fun nights several years back...it was a 2-man scramble where the team you were paired with got to decide which shot you used. It was super fun.

Intriguing, but I'd think they would have to be pretty decent golfers, or have a hole shot limit. Our department scramble was September 24, and most groups would still be playing under this format.

Intriguing, but I'd think they would have to be pretty decent golfers, or have a hole shot limit. Our department scramble was September 24, and most groups would still be playing under this format.
I watched one on YouTube yesterday where the pair shot 99 and still had a blast.

This is one of the formats they use in a tournament I play here in El Paso each year. It is only 9-holes (thank God!) of a 45-hole set-up. It is easily the 9-holes that determines the outcome for the flight. I think the key to this format is getting partners that are very close in ability and mentality. I have played this format twice and did not fair well either time. The team that beat us this year played for par and they had very similar games tee-to-green. We eventually won the flight but this loss made it more interesting than it needed to be.

It sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to do it

WE used to have a tournament at Ivy Hills in forrest Virginia when i was a member there. 2 person Scramble and the team you were partnered with, picked which shot you played once a hole. So if you hit one down the middle and your partner went OB, guess what? of wait for second shot and pick the furthest form the pin or the one in the bunker or worse yet, the Pond...

Last edited:
I watched one on YouTube yesterday where the pair shot 99 and still had a blast.

I could see this being a lot of fun with the right setup. Looks like most format use only two people, and the participants at least know which end of the club to hold. Our department has a lot of non-golfers/"designated putters" because in our industry a lot of business in conducted on the golf course and our EVP believes everyone - everyone - should know the etiquette of playing golf in a business setting. That said, we had nine teams, the winnig score was -4, and we were ecstatic that we finished in 4:45. Some years, it's taken 5:30

oh count me in!!!!

Here’s a real challenge @Canadan, you play a reverse scramble with player in your skill range. I’ll play normal scramble rules with someone in mine.

Well call it RichRod vs Meyer.

If I tried that with somebody of my skill level the round would take several days and the score would be a number that doesn’t exist.

Live look at @mpeterson and I in a best ball scramble

Worst ball scramble?

I think we run out of balls

It’s either that or we shoot our handicaps. Nowhere in between.

This would be interesting for sure.

“nice piped drive, go pick it up and we’re off in the woods over there”

Back