Worst shot you have seen

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
5.3 (WHS)
I know we have all hit horrendous shots at times, but what is the worst shot you have ever seen (or hit yourself)

For me, I think it has to be a shot I witnessed during a league match at my home club
I was in a group just walking up to the 17th green and we could see 3 balls on the green (our group) and another ball in the bunker to the left of the green as we looked at it
As we got to the green, a guy came walking over and I was trying to figure out how he had hit his ball to here as there are some trees in the direct line from the 16th tee, but as it turned out he had actually managed to put it in this bunker from the 9th tee (picture below will show the overhead)

Using Google maps, it appears that the distance is roughly 190yds from the 9th tee to this bunker on the 17th

Worst Shot.png

I have no idea what he finished with on the 9th, but it must have been interesting to play the rest of the hole from that bunker

Worst shot 2.png

Haha what kind of punishment was that guy into to play that out crossing probably 3 more groups.

For me my unexciting answer is a chucked chip or horrendously fat iron. But my best answers is probably the only round I got to play with my dad before he passed. He had been battling cancer but was in a remission-ish so was able too play, but really wasnt best physical shape. Playing with my older brother, my wife, and dad we teed off in the fall on a mountain course in western NC (absolutely breathtaking)

On the 1st hole my dad wound up in a fairway bunker a dreaded 60 years from the green. He hasn't played much in previous 15 years so likely to be a very challenging shot. He gripped and ripped a SW and swung so hard he spun around in his follow through, did two complete pirouettes, and landed flat on his back in the bunker. A moment of horror was quickly dispelled when we saw him laughing. Covered in sand we helped him out and all of us were laughing so hard we were crying, that pretty much last three entire round.

I always say this at THP Experiences, that while I know the nerves are there, I can guarantee I have seen worse. I will never single anybody out, but there have been some doozies and as long as everybody laughs it off, and has some fun, it's all good.

Two words...Hosel Rocket. #endthread :greenalien:

Almost getting hit by a hosel rocket is right up there with worst shots.

Two words...Hosel Rocket. #endthread :greenalien:
Almost getting hit by a hosel rocket is right up there with worst shots.

A friend of mine once managed to hit my push trolley after he hit one of those.....and I was on the opposite side of the fairway at the time

Worst shot I have seen not by me? That would be the one where they almost miss the ball but create so much spin the ball goes backwards haha

I had a buddy hit a shot dead right, not down the fairway but infront of him towards the tee marker, right into the woods. The next guy coming up is laughing and making fun of him, saying I have no idea how you hit such a bad shot. He proceeds to hit the exact same shot. Both of them were some of the worst I'd seen, and made better because it was back to back.

I always say this at THP Experiences, that while I know the nerves are there, I can guarantee I have seen worse. I will never single anybody out, but there have been some doozies and as long as everybody laughs it off, and has some fun, it's all good.
My opening tee shot from the 2017 MC is still going left. :laughing:

Playing with some friends after work, one of which has been really struggling to get off the tee. First swing, misses completely by hitting a foot behind the ball and bouncing over it. Get's so pissed, he takes another swing, this time hard hard toe ball. The kind of toe ball that does shoot out with a hard hook but goes straight right. Like 90 degree turn right. So far right that it flies through the center of a golf cart parked on the side of the tee box, past the faces of 2 of our other friends, hits a tree dead square, bounces back across the tee box ( in front of the cart windshield ) and hits him in the ankle.

By far the worst/funniest/closest to death shot I have ever seen in person.

I took my high school coach out while he watched my first drive day one of “tryouts “. He was standing at 90 degrees on the other side of a large tee box.

thankfully they needed all the players who showed up so I still made the team.

Had a guy tee off and top it, there is a pond on the right edge of the tee box. It crossed over the lip hit the wood piling and came flying back at us and landed on the tee box behind us. He did have a perfect lie on the second shot though. ;)

Probably the worst one I have ever seen was during glow ball. Guy tees up and proceeds to hit it at a 20 degree angle right and into a window of a house. I bet those people have never had a ball hit their house. They probably wondered “where the hell did this come from?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a guy tee off and top it, there is a pond on the right edge of the tee box. It crossed over the lip hit the wood piling and came flying back at us and landed on the tee box behind us. He did have a perfect lie on the second shot though. ;)

I didn't see it, buy my usual playing partner was out with a group of guys and they were on the 8th tee at our club which has had a temporary tee laid with artificial turf due to the condition of the ground

Surrounding this turf is a thin wooden border just to keep it in place and it sits lower than the height of the turf, but someone one guy managed to hit his shot at a negative angle off the tee that hit the wooden surround and bounced back in to his face and left him with 2 black eyes and a bloody nose
I saw him about a week or so later and he still had the black eyes, but luckily, other than the pain, he didn't suffer any more lasting damage

I hit one when I was 15 or 16. How I didn't hit my dad I don't know?! I was hitting my 2nd shot into a par 4. My dad was sitting in the cart exactly 90 degrees from my target line about 10 yards away. Sure as the world, I toed the piss out of it and it went flying towards him and the cart! It bounced around inside like 8 times, then bounced out! My dad said he could hear the ball whizzing and see the dimples! He got out, looked at me, looked at the cart, and said ok. He still won't pull up beside me to this day! Haha

When I was younger, my dad and I were at the driving range together. he was on the mat right of me watching his shot when I shanked the ball so bad that it actually came up and hit him in the jaw. I feel like I couldn’t do that again even if I tried

Have to confess, this is on me.

Wife, son, daughter-in-law and I were playing at Hilton Head and I had been playing well,and really hitting the driver well that day. We noticed some gators in a pond about 30 yards to the right of the tee, I think it was the 15th. Now, it has to be understood, where they were standing was 90° from the line of the hole and perpendicular to the position of the tee.

After getting my peek, I walked back to the tee to tee off, while the other three continued to looked at the gators swimming about. I teed up and proceeded to hit my drive, never expecting what happened next.

Irons have hosel rockets. This was a toe rocket! 110+ mph club head contacted to ball off the tippy toe of the driver, shooting that dimpled bullet 90° off the tee and smack dab between to brides shoulder blades. No time to yell, and that is probably a good thing, because if she had ducked, it most likely would have hit her in the head.

Worst and most embarrassing shot I have ever witnessed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple years ago, let's just say I was having trouble making good contact with my irons. On the 160-yd par-3 7th, I made what could be the worst swing of my life. The would-have-been fat divot was completely inside of the tee, so that the outside of the toe of the club barely brushed the ball and sent it off at about a 45* angle toward a few trees. I was a little heated after that bad of a shot, I didn't even want to go look for it.

Fast-forward an hour and a half, and as I approached the 17th green, I saw a ball in the bunker that wasn't mine. Or was it? Sure enough, it was my W/S Duo from the 7th hole, still sitting there in shame.

fore.png

:surrender:

At my bachelor party, I had a friend not once, not twice, but 3 times top his drive into a creek that wasn't but 25 yards from the tee box.

Might have been the worst string of shots I have ever seen

Seen a good buddy of mine hit a ball directly into the ground and it went under the grass. About 12 people waiting to tee off as well... It was absolutely classic. Everyone's first instinct was to look up and not a soul saw it in flight, obviously.

I topped a tee shot at an event. :oops:

FIL hit a tee marker that was about 3 feet in front of him and a foot to his right.

Broke the tee marker in half and the ball went backwards.

Remind him of it every time we play the 14th there.

I almost killed @mikeg_74 with a shank from an uphill lie at the 2014 Morgan Cup.

Back