Worth buying Nike irons & storing them?

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone thinks there will be value in picking up say a set of new Nike Vapor Pro irons, storing them and selling them for a healthy profit a few years down the line? Might be a complete waste of money but since they are selling so cheap it might be worth a punt. They might never go down as a classic set so may not be worth it.

Any input appreciated.

Barry

I wouldn't do it, I don't think they will gain any value but hey, if you want to take that bet, go ahead

Not IMO, but, I'm firmly in the camp that thinking about anything gold equipment as an investment is a bit crazy.

Not IMO, but, I'm firmly in the camp that thinking about anything gold equipment as an investment is a bit crazy.

well, if it was really made of gold, maybe :alien:

The only reason I would do it is if I intended to play them later on. Likely you'll be lucky to get your money back out of them. But there's always that die hard fan you might cross paths with later who's willing to pay.

Not worth it, IMO. At least not in the near future. This may be something where someone would see value 15-20 years down the road. But not enough to get a proper return. You're better off letting the money collect 2% interest in the bank if you don't have a use for it, lol. Plus there's no guarantee the clubs won't be obsolete by then. Too much of a risk for such little reward. Personally I think the Nike equipment is going to be worth less and less as time goes on, not more.

the blades yes, everything else not really

I wouldn't. I don't see these being worth much more than they are now for a long time if ever. It isn't like they are limited run so there are lots of sets out there.

I wouldn't do it. If you look at some formerly highly regarded brands like Adams and Nickent, their older irons in great condition go for pennies on the dollar on eBay.

I wouldn't. I don't see these being worth much more than they are now for a long time if ever. It isn't like they are limited run so there are lots of sets out there.
Or, since they're getting out of the business, they're already pretty rare...

Or, since they're getting out of the business, they're already pretty rare...

Yeah, but they went out of business because there wasn't a demand for the product.... So now that they aren't making more will the demand for the product suddenly skyrocket? They can still be purchased from MANY outlets for 60% of the original price.

Nike Golf had $700 million in annual sales

Ya but they don't separate equipment and clothing/footwear so us outsiders have no clue what their losses if any on equipment were. I wouldn't waste any money on the hopes of flipping irons from any company.

Seems like a rather silly investment to me as the tech isn't going to get better with age. Nike hockey equipment is not of any higher value since they left that sport.

Like most on here, I think they will go down in price
Over the years, not up.
Unless something was a limited run.

Good to know, but doesn't that include Golf shoes, apparel as well as the hard goods? Also, they still shuttered the hard good division because it wasn't profitable right? So demand did not exceed and it isn't like this is a boutique manufacturer that only made a few hundred of each club, they made quite a bit of product that they and their partners are still trying to liquidate.

If you buy new and hold onto them for a while, sure they might end up being worth slightly more than they are now as an unhit set will become more rare over time. But the formula to actually make money on that has to mean you will have to hold them for a long time so as to recoup your initial investment as well as more than the inflation of the dollar.

Personally I think there are A LOT of better ways to invest money.

The only reason I would do it is if I intended to play them later on. Likely you'll be lucky to get your money back out of them. But there's always that die hard fan you might cross paths with later who's willing to pay.

That die-hard fan probably already has one or more sets wrapped in plastic, "hermetically sealed and placed in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's back porch."

In case you don't get the cultural reference:

Unless your buying tiger old nikes, I'd pass.

This is pretty funny. How much of that do you believe was hard goods?

And if you think the muscle backs will be going up in value, I have some incredible Nickent, Ram, Wilson, MacGregor, Tommy Armour and a few other blades available.

I'm just saying that the argument that there was no demand for Nike products is foolish.

Of course it's not a wise investment strategy.

Just don't do it.

Nothing in golf is a good investment imo.

I'm just saying that the argument that there was no demand for Nike products is foolish.

There isn't demand for Nike hard goods... if there was, they would still make them

Never said no demand for Nike Product, the post you quoted was in Reference to the original post regarding whether it was a wise investment to purchase NIKE IRONS....

Since the company decided that it wasn't financially beneficial to keep producing that and other hard goods and the fact that there is plenty of this product available for purchase at well below original retail price... I will reiterate that there is not sufficient demand for this particular product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Investing your $$$ for the future is a very wise thing to do. I would run this idea through your financial adviser and see what he/she thinks of this strategy.

Back