Would Anyone Use a Lower Spinning Ball on Windy Days When A Higher Spinner Fits Them?

Desmond

Let's have fun here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Let's say you've got some wind, 20 mph or so, would you keep the ProV1x in the bag and use the ProV1 for a lower flight.

Same idea with Srixon, B-Stone, Callaway balls.

Do you think it would make a discernible difference?

Or am I overthinking this as usual?

I don't. That's too much thinking. I just play golf and adjust accordingly

I usually have 2 different balls in my bag.
I love me some Chrome Soft but there are days the Wilson 50 elite is in play.
Usually when My swing is off I find the less spiny ball to be better and would be more likely to play it on a crazy windy day.
Plus they are considerably cheaper when loosing more than 1 a round.

Last edited:
The rules of golf were changed specifically because of this....Back in the day when you could use multiple type balls in a single round the top flites would come out into the wind often. Then the rules were changed such that you can only utilize one type ball for the round. So the answer to the question is using a less spiny ball helps in severe wind.

I tend to play ZStar XV or TourB X partly for this reason. It’s often windy here and X gets the nod with penetrating flight while still being able to bring the launch down enough.

I play the AVX.... I accept the lower flight for what I believe is a straighter ball off the tee.

Based on that, and until I find a better alternative, I can accept any downside to using the AVX. ( I really don’t perceive any downside, at this point).

bottom line, I’m ready for windy conditions any time! 😜

I just switched to the Bridgestone Tour B X. I can manage low spin far better than I can my typical over spin.

With today's technology, are there really that much difference off the tees with golf balls? A little difference, but a golfer can hit any ball into the woods. As far as what ball I use really depends on how serious I am about my game. If in tournament play, I will go with premium balls. If it isn't the scoring season, or just casual golf, I will sometimes use and e6 type ball. Wind generally doesn't have a lot to do with my decision. The last time I played in 20 mph wind it was in Florida, and it was a steady 20mph all round long. It really had little to do with my decision of what ball to play. I was in a more serious golf mood because it was a nice course (Royal St. Cloud) and wanted to golf well, = ProV1

With today's technology, are there really that much difference off the tees with golf balls? A little difference, but a golfer can hit any ball into the woods.
Yes there is Quite a difference actually. Sure I can hit any ball into the woods. But ProVs don't work well for my game (I SUCK) and plying them on a windy day and adding MORE Spin would be far worse for me than a lower compression less spinny ball.

I generally play the ball a touch back in windier conditions. I often stick to my Vice Pro Plus no matter the conditions. I do, however, game different compression balls in colder conditions.

Let's say you've got some wind, 20 mph or so, would you keep the ProV1x in the bag and use the ProV1 for a lower flight.

Same idea with Srixon, B-Stone, Callaway balls.

Do you think it would make a discernible difference?

Or am I overthinking this as usual?

I have enough trouble with the game, I play what I have inn the bag. Off the tee into wind, I tree it up lower. And hit an extra club of irons.

So how do the tour RB x's play in the wind?

As my swing and game have evolved (into less CHS) I am kind of between two right now. I love the TourB XS on calm days but if it’s blowing 10+ consistently I’m going with a sleeve of the RX. It takes much of the distance guesswork out of hitting into it.

I like the overall feel and playability of the XS but the RX is still going to be in play in wind.

I have enough trouble with the game, I play what I have inn the bag. Off the tee into wind, I tree it up lower. And hit an extra club of irons.

So how do the tour RB x's play in the wind?

I will let you know.

I’ll know for sure after tomorrow with the Tour B X vs Z Star XV as far as wind goes. TP5 is probably the best ball I’ve played in the wind to date.

The rules of golf were changed specifically because of this....Back in the day when you could use multiple type balls in a single round the top flites would come out into the wind often. Then the rules were changed such that you can only utilize one type ball for the round. So the answer to the question is using a less spiny ball helps in severe wind.
You can still use different balls - you just can’t switch them out in the middle of playing a hole. It’s perfectly legal to play a distance ball on a par 5 and then switch to a tour ball on a par 3 - you just can’t hit the distance ball off the tee and then switch to the tour ball around the green on the same hole. The only exception would be if a competition invokes a “one ball rule” as a condition of competition.

I’ll know for sure after tomorrow with the Tour B X vs Z Star XV as far as wind goes. TP5 is probably the best ball I’ve played in the wind to date.
it’s not a tour ball, but I’ve really, really been liking the way the e12 Contact plays in the wind.

Possilby. Depends on how much wind, and the fairways. I changed balls for here vs. Nebraska partly for that type of reason. There is zero sense in playing mid-low runners here, and playing one for more max carry doesn't make a lot of sense there usually.

Back