Would HS boys beat LPGA pros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HS boys wouldn't stand a chance.

If it was played from the tips at 7300 yards + some high school players may have a chance solely based on distance. But if they play at a more reasonable distance in the middle, LPGA players would smoke them. The shotmaking ability into and around the green sets the pros apart from the rest.

Heck, my average driving distance is right there with the PGA tour and I hit a lot of the same clubs the same distance, but I'd need 20 a side to even have a chance to compete with many of the PGA pros :). It was proven when I played with Jon Rahm years ago. It was just us randomly paired up. We played from the same tee box and while he hit it further than me off the tee, it was usually only a club length behind. But where I was happy to hit the green on the approach shot, he was annoyed when he didn't put it within 10 feet of the pin.

EDIT - There is absolutely no chance that an average HS team would beat a team of LPGA pros. But an elite team of HS players would have a pretty good chance if they were playing from the tips.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would be putting my money on the LPGA.

Outside of someone like Akshay Bhatia, not a chance! Maybe the Women's Olympic team took it as publicity stunt and didn't play hard?!

I think average LPGA has more distance than the average male HS player.

I am thinking the LPGA pros torch the high schoolers. Let’s just say the average High School varsity handicap is 5. LPGA pros are easily scratch, definitely not 5s.

Warroad. https://www.espn.com/olympics/news/story?id=2281644

It was actually 2-1. As I recall this year Warroad was not as good as they usually are.

Think about this everyone. An area HS of boys (NOT an all star team) of beat THE best women on the planet, even after they had to alter their game (not check) to play them.

I would bet just average HS (#1 or #2) would probably beat the average LPGA player.

Warroad is certainly no average high school hockey team but one of the best in the country. As many here don't know, there has never been a U.S. men's Olympic Gold medal team without a Warroad player on it.

Although you're likely not pleased that my daughter's high school, Breck, beat your HS girl's team the last two years in the State Championship. ;)

I think of your hockey comparison and think of the time when a HS Boys Soccer team in Dallas, U-15 I think beat the US Women's National Team. It was more of a practice for the women's and not something where they went all out or whatever.

In terms of this. The golfers on the LPGA are the best of the best. I'm thinking maybe the Top 5 ranked players for HS Boys could beat them, that's it.

Experience, course management and short game skill would all point to the LPGA players taking down a high school team

This is silly. These women have played college golf and probably in various tours across the world. The women would beat the hell out of them then be encouraging and kind to the guys.

Warroad is certainly no average high school hockey team but one of the best in the country. As many here don't know, there has never been a U.S. men's Olympic Gold medal team without a Warroad player on it.

Although you're likely not pleased that my daughter's high school, Breck, beat your HS girl's team the last two years in the State Championship. ;)

I'm not from Warroad. And that year Warroad wasn't all that great, as I recall. Moreover, they even brought their 'B' game because there was no checking allowed and still beat the best women's team on the planet.

Just the length alone of HS boys would give them a profound advantage. I'm thinking average HS boy drives it over 300. Average on LPGA is?....260?

There is zero chance the average drive across HS boys golf is over 300 yards.

I am thinking the LPGA pros torch the high schoolers. Let’s just say the average High School varsity handicap is 5. LPGA pros are easily scratch, definitely not 5s.

LPGA courses aren't 7500 yard monsters. The average course I see from week-to-week on the LPGA is quite tame, IMO.

I don't care what course or length, the LPGA would destroy a boy's high school team.

Just looking at random male HS tournament results in AZ. In Division 1 there were 9 players under par out of 73 and division 2 there were 3 out of 75. That was on a course of 6610 yards. It is an interesting topic, but I don't think the average male HS golfer competes with an LPGA tour player. Honestly, the average male THP'er probably beats the average male HS player.

**Not sure why I quoted you, boder

Just looking at random male HS tournament results in AZ. In Division 1 there were 9 players under par out of 73 and division 2 there were 3 out of 75. That was on a course of 6610 yards. It is an interesting topic, but I don't think the average male HS golfer competes with an LPGA tour player. Honestly, the average male THP'er probably beats the average male HS player

LPGA would easily win in the single round format of HS golf and would absolutely drag the boys over a full tournament weekend.

Distance has nothing to do with it if it isn't in play. I looked at that chart. Inbee Park is last in driving distance and has 20 wins. She would carve up a high school player with ease. Her iron play is superb and she is a great putter.

There are clearly more than 26 golfers on the LPGA Tour. Does the average LPGA distance stop at 26? I'm confused.

What is the overall (entire LPGA Tour) driving distance average? From what I gather (quick search) the AVERAGE across the entire LPGA is about 218 off the tee??

It’s an interesting question and pretty neat story
About the hockey team. I don’t see it happening in golf. Other sports possibly.

How much do you think LPGA players would get beat by high school-aged boys?

Local high school hockey team here (not an all star team - just a local town's team) beat the USA women's team by a score of 3 to 2. Mind you, the boys had to alter their game entirely as there was no hitting allowed (obviously), and the boys would have been used to using their checking to their ability. This was just a regular team - not an all star team - of high school aged boys and they took down the best women's hockey team on the planet (or at least second best).

So if high school boys played LPGA players, how do you think the results would be? Or do you think LPGA players would beat them handily?
HAHAHAHAHAHA

It wouldn't be close. LPGA would crush them. You're talking professionals vs 15-18 year old boys.

Not. Even. Close.

And I coach HS golf.

I think of your hockey comparison and think of the time when a HS Boys Soccer team in Dallas, U-15 I think beat the US Women's National Team. It was more of a practice for the women's and not something where they went all out or whatever.

In terms of this. The golfers on the LPGA are the best of the best. I'm thinking maybe the Top 5 ranked players for HS Boys could beat them, that's it.

I think I remember this (vaguely).

Think about HS boys basketball players (many times in the past they declared to play in NBA) and they would absolutely destroy the best WNBA players, IMO. Just their height alone would give them a leg up (pardon the pun!). :p

I can 100% guarantee this would not happen today. Not with the level of athlete skating for the Women's National team now. And the LPGA would drag a boy's team.

Not. Even. Close.

I've already given an example of the cream of the crop WOMEN (not girls) that got beat by a high school boys team in a different sport. So I do believe it would be far closer than some here are alluding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back