Would it bother you if a random you're playing with lied about their score?

It wouldn’t bother me unless it was a match for money. I just hope they posted their BS score and it comes back to bite them in the ass on future matches.

I think Tevenor's response is pretty close to my feelings. I put golf as a sport on a bit of a pedestal and feel like if you can't play without cheating, you shouldn't play. It is a small test of our moral and ethical character. If you can't trust someone with small things, how can you trust them with big things (my Sunday sermon haha)

Hard enough keeping track of my score to worry about someone else's.

Doesn’t bother me as I’ll most likely never play with that random again.

Not in the least. It's there lie, so they can tell it as big as they want. On the other hand, if we're gambling I'll jump on you like stink on S**T!:poop:

Maybe he just started- thus the 3 in the water, and doesn’t know the rules or doesn’t care. As long as he isn’t playing for a buck or two, he’s hurting his own game, and inflating his own ego. I play a lot as a single and unless I make an obvious birdie or something, the other guys don’t care or ask. And I don’t ask them. If I know they had a bird, I’ll just say “nice bird” and leave it at that. If they put a 5 after taking an 8, 1580658904198.png

Those are the guys that talk a lot about their game and then lose their minds when you play them in a match or tournament round. Vanity caps are hilarious when they unravel in front of you. Otherwise I don’t keep random’s scores for many reasons, this being a good one.

Doesn't bother me - Just another example of how a round of golf shows you so much about a person, imo.

Also maybe he's just not familiar with the rules?? Sounds like he hit the ball 7 times so maybe he just thinks that's how it works.

If you were playing for something, then it would bother me, but if it is just a casual round then I don't care what someone else says they shot

I've been playing with some guys who are all just starting to get serious and/or returning to golf and they take beneficial drops, etc. and mulligans along the way. It doesn't bother me as they don't slow down play, at least they're giving the game a go, and they're not posting scores for a HCP. Even if they were posting for a HCP, it'd just be for vanity as they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by lowering it-if they ever played competition.

Really wouldn't phase me at all unless we were playing for some stake or other. But if they start boasting about coming out on top after 'accidentally' miscounting shots then I would probable say something back. I'd move on, not go out of my way to play with them again and certainly not do business with them!

The only time it would bother me is if there was something on the line. I would call him out on it .... "Uhh, you might want to add that up again." Especially if he was taking the tee box ahead of me when I know he took an 8 on the previous hole. Most of the time, honor on the tee doesn't bother me, as I'm all for speeding up play. If he is bantering away about how good he is after the round at the 19th hole, I would ask him to add his score again. :rolleyes:

Cut the guy a break. He just plopped 3 balls in the water. I might have busted his stones when he said 7...but only as a busting. Could care less how you keep your score.

I would politely let him know he scored it incorrectly and if he questioned me I would explain how to properly score the hole. I have played with many random casual golfers who did not know how to properly score penalties (lost ball, OB, etc). Most of them don't compete and have never opened the rule book and aren't trying to be dishonest. Once you explain it to them they often are surprised and didn't realize they've been scoring wrong. If they are intentionally dishonest I will call them out on it once and just shake my head every time they say a score. Not worth wasting any more time or effort as it won't change anything

It doesn't bother me at all, unless we were playing for something or they begin to brag about how good they are or how they parred a hole they really got a triple on. I've honestly never played with someone that asked me to sign their scorecard for their handicap, and if they did that and asked to sign, I would decline and explain why. It only hurts them in the long run, if they want to claim they are a 10 and enter a tournament and play like an 18, only helps the rest of the field.

Much like everyone else has already said, I don't care what anyone else writes on their scorecards. But if you are delusional about your score and you think you're going to get away with being noisy about it, I will quickly deflate you as humorously as I can. I'm all about friendly trash-talking in golf. I don't take myself or my golf abilities seriously enough that I can't laugh at a clever, well-timed comment at my expense. Heck, I expect it and encourage it. And all my playing buddies are the same way, which leads to a lot of rather funny and very enjoyable rounds of golf.

Obviously when I'm grouped with strangers, those comments remain in my head, at least until it becomes clear the other person has a solid sense of humor. But if I encountered a stranger who lied to himself about his score and then got chirpy, it would be game on for me. I'd have a great time with it, and hopefully they would to. No, unless it is obvious a person wants to play quietly, I always want to have strangers walk away from the round feeling like that was the most fun round they've played in awhile. It's just how I'm wired. But if you get chirpy but you're taking yourself seriously and can't handle the ribbing? Yeah, we might not be a good fit. The low-hanging fruit of watching you lie about your abilities and then get puffed up about it is just too delicious to pass up.

Btw, I don't mean to make it sound like golf is a 4-hour stand up comedy routine for me. I'm not a clown and I'm not Excessively-Chatty-Guy on the course. But I tend to see humor in most things and I like to occasionally share those thoughts. And I enjoy fostering an environment where such comments are welcomed.

I used to care what others shot, but I've learned to not care one bit. Only concern would be if it were some type or tournament or head to head match up of some sort.

Just curious, so I was out with a new meetup group today and was playing a round with two other guys and one of them was blatantly lying about his scores. Example there was a par 3 over water (hole 17) and he put 3 balls in the water, then took a drop in the drop zone closer to the hole (finally), then hit that twice to get to the green and then two putted but proceed to claim a 7.

It wasn't just this hole he did it on a lot of them. Now I know it doesn't actually affect me, I'm not playing a match against him for any reward and realistically the only person being fooled is him as he'll never truly know when he is getting any better, but it annoyed me more when he was "chirping" at me and the other guy playing.

Only if he told me he beat me. But then I would laugh it off and move on.

I have a hard enough time worrying about my own score, let alone a random I'm playing with. Let them keep their score the way they want. Now if I'm playing with friends, I will call them out on it.

It happens all the time. A lot of people either don't know or ignore even the most fundamental of rules so how do I expect them to get their score correct? It doesn't bother me in the least. It did when me and a brother in law would play for $10 a side. I frequently had to help him get his score right.

Wouldn‘t bother me in the least. I am not the score police.

No. If that's the way they want to play golf, it's fine with me. It doesn't have any affect on my game or my score. And the only person the cheater is fooling is him/herself. But if this person brags at the end of the round about shooting a lower score than me, I will probably recap the litany of shortcuts I saw them take.

Just curious, so I was out with a new meetup group today and was playing a round with two other guys and one of them was blatantly lying about his scores. Example there was a par 3 over water (hole 17) and he put 3 balls in the water, then took a drop in the drop zone closer to the hole (finally), then hit that twice to get to the green and then two putted but proceed to claim a 7.

It wasn't just this hole he did it on a lot of them. Now I know it doesn't actually affect me, I'm not playing a match against him for any reward and realistically the only person being fooled is him as he'll never truly know when he is getting any better, but it annoyed me more when he was "chirping" at me and the other guy playing.
Doesn't bother me in the least.

I always say "unless we are playing for money or fame, I don't care what you write down"

playing with a random? and not for money?... no I wouldn't care at all

Back