Would knowing this bother you or would you simply get on with life - COVID 19?

I played golf last Saturday with a fellow golfer I have been playing with most of last year. We rode the same cart the last round. He works in a nearby county school system and is in maintenance. His team has been working while others are at home.

He texted me a day or two after we played to let me know one of the guys he works with every day in fairly close contact has tested positive for COVID 19. He said he was informed to quarantine himself at home. I am guessing they informed him to let others that he was in contact with know as well.

I have not really thought much about it since then, because what can you really do about it anyway? If it is possible to come to you through someone else, not like you can really do anything about it. It isn't like we have decontamination chambers or some miracle cleanser laying around to use if it was picked up.

Would knowing this bother you and get you in a tizzy or would you simply get on with life?

Too late to quarantine from people you've been in contact with since last Saturday, but I'd stay away from all others.

I played golf last Saturday with a fellow golfer I have been playing with most of last year. We rode the same cart the last round. He works in a nearby county school system and is in maintenance. His team has been working while others are at home.

He texted me a day or two after we played to let me know one of the guys he works with every day in fairly close contact has tested positive for COVID 19. He said he was informed to quarantine himself at home. I am guessing they informed him to let others that he was in contact with know as well.

I have not really thought much about it since then, because what can you really do about it anyway? If it is possible to come to you through someone else, not like you can really do anything about it. It isn't like we have decontamination chambers or some miracle cleanser laying around to use if it was picked up.

Would knowing this bother you and get you in a tizzy or would you simply get on with life?
Out of respect to everyone else, I'd quarantine as well (not that I'm not doing that already).

It wouldn't stress me though, I doubt.

I'd rather know. I had to take a COVID test and it took me 6 days to get the results. By day 3-4 I was getting so freaking antsy and my mind was all over the place.

First - Glad to see everyone's positive responses and the actions they would take. The sad part about this is its tough to know who you are coming into contact with on a daily basis unless you are at home and limiting the trips where you are in potential spread of the virus.

Agree that once you know I would limit the amount of contact and do the 14 day self quarantine. I would notify the people I came into contact for the previous amount of time since I was golfing with a buddy. take extra precautions by washing my hands more often, limiting exposure in groceries, golf courses and avoiding touching my face.

Respecting others IS the reason that single user carts were either mandated or highly recommended.

Most, if not all advisories state that- if you come into contact with anyone who may have been exposed, you self quarantine. It wasn't "well, if you feel okay, you should be good". It shouldn't be decided by a poll of your peers. If you respect others, than you quarantine.

I have enough to worry about with my wife working in the Medical field trying to protect herself, the Doctor she works for, me and mostly, the patients she deals with every day. If we want to stop this, asking non-medical (for the most part) folks what you should do or think about it is an insult to those that are dealing with it all the time.

The nice thing was I was not in contact with anyone after I left the golf course that day. I work from home so not around humans which is good in this case to be quarantined from others.

I'd rather know. I had to take a COVID test and it took me 6 days to get the results. By day 3-4 I was getting so freaking antsy and my mind was all over the place.
Yeah, I'll call ddec a source of truth on this, considering he's been through it 😬

With how many times I've read that people who have had it with next to no symptoms, I can't figure out whether I would want to know or not.

I would want to know as my wife is immunocompromized and I hit 2 risk factors myself.
I would then self quarantine so I would not infect the wife.

In the first place, I wouldn't put myself in the position to possibly catch the this covid19 virus, unless I absolutely had to. This would include going to the golf course.

One of the major reasons this virus is spreading so fast is that people are ignoring the idea of social distancing. There is also evidence starting to show up that this might also be an airborne virus. That choir in Washington state is a good example.

Yesterday we had to go into town due to a doctor's appointment my wife couldn't miss. Wearing masks, and copious amounts of sanitiser, we also visited (quickly) two grocery stores, and then got the hell out of dodge.

We won't know now for up to 14 days if one of us contracted the virus or not. We also will not be mingling with other people for those 14 days.

If I found out that I had been around a person for a few hours who was around another person who is positive for this virus, I'd take it pretty seriously.

I'm not prone to tizzyness, but I wouldn't simply get on with life either.

Sounds like your daily is pretty quarantine-ish, so I'd just tell myself not to stray from it for a couple weeks and go on living that until something dictated otherwise. Definitely wouldn't be rushing out to get tested, but would lock down any unnecessary contact.

Just a reminder to everyone that we all live in different circumstances, and have slightly different realities because of it. Some parts of the U.S. would seem pretty foreign to people from not all that far away. I get social media shamed by my own sister for going to the gym, but where she lives (east coast) is very different from here. Our gyms are open, our courses are too. We currently have zero active cases in our county (which is the biggest one within hours of here), and the only reason our restaurants are closed for dining is because of traveler potential and corporate mandate for certain chains. I had two strangers try to shake my hand this morning. I was paired up with another single on the golf course yesterday. We drove separate carts, didn't pull the pin, or shake hands at the end, but being responsible is directly related to circumstances. Sometimes I think it's easy to forget how much they can vary. That's all. No rant, just a soft spoken reminder.

I'd quarantine and get on with life. Fretting and getting in a tizzy doesn't serve you.

Decided to bump this thread instead of starting a new one but this issue has now fallen upon me and it's an interesting dynamic.

I'm a high school teacher and we've been teaching in person classes this year. It's been going well as we've done smaller cohort groups for 1/2 the week but we always knew that Covid would pop up at some point and now it has. I got a call from my administration on Monday evening informing me that a student who I was in close contact with on Tues 10/27 came down with symptoms that Thursday, was tested and is positive for Covid. He would likely have been infected two days prior to being symptomatic.

I'd be more concerned if it had been a few days previous but as of this morning, it's been 8 days and I have no symptoms so that's the good news. I got tested yesterday and will know the results Thurs or Fri. Regardless, I'm asked to quarantine for the next 6 days which I'm fine with doing. I will remote teach and return to my classrooms next Thursday. Again, I know that I'm not technically out of the water but it's rare for symptoms to arrive much past the 3-5 day average. The thing is, that by the time I was informed, I had slept with and kissed my wife over 6 days already so there's not much that could be done there. Fortunately, she too feels fine so far as does another student who was working closely with us that day.

The question then becomes who do you contact? I had bird hunted last Saturday with my buddy so I called him. We didn't ride together and were outside hiking around the whole time so it wasn't in close quarters. I'm sure we came closer than 6ft at some point but being outdoors, neither of us are too concerned....esp if my test comes back negative as expected. The sad thing is that being in a very rural town, I had planned to vote in person but yesterday I decided that among the two civic duties of voting and isolating, I gave the nod to the latter and stayed home. My wife did too and it killed her to have to. I just thought to myself that I wouldn't want to be standing near someone who was awaiting test results so even though I suspect that I'm ok, I can't yet make that assumption so we stayed home. I was also invited for a round at a nice nearby private club on Saturday but one of the players in the group is 81 so I declined for safety's sake. If my test is negative, I will hunt my bird dog outdoors on Saturday which will be 11days.

I didn't visit with anyone else but it does become a large and complicated question of who to contact and what level of risk dictates what actions. If I recall, OP was in contact with someone who was in contact with.....how many levels of that do you follow?

WE took a vaca finally the beginning of October to Sante Fe/ Sedona and the Grand Canyon. I pulled the travel Trailer for our accommodations and we stayed pretty much to ourselves. That being said there was no way we could stay at least 6 feet from people at some points but used the hand washing and Hand sanitizers every time i got gas, touched anything.....

WE both got tested the day after we got back, 19th of Oct and we both tested negative. I have been working from home since first of March and not traveling and been advised that I will be home until the End of MAY 2021.....

This wouldn't bug me at all. I would watch my health and act accordingly in necessary.

My wife has been going into work full time since early May and has been exposed twice to someone who was Covid positive. She was quarantined from work and tested both times and has not yet tested positive. My sister has worked full time this entire year in a job where she comes into contact with hundreds of people each day, both coworkers and the public. She has not knowingly had Covid or shown any symptoms. Bottom line is a lot of people can’t socially distance, they have to go to work so the best they can do is wear a mask and wash their hands.

exactly , follow the protocols, wear your mask and wash your hands.....I carry hand sanitizer in my truck and its on the entry way counts per.....We do not come in without stopping to use it....I also have a bottle in my golf bag

Follow the school protocols and stay quarantined from school and others associated with the school - teachers, students, parents, admin, etc. Other than that, practice normal social distancing procedures and wear a mask when out in public and you are fine (assuming you don’t have symptoms).

We have been dealing with the one-off covid case or exposure at our kid’s school and the protocol I described above has kept covid from spreading beyond the one individual. There has been zero outbreaks since we started back in person in August.

Had a similar situation in May. My wife learned one of the girlfriends she spent a day with tested positive a couple days later. I play in a regional traveling senior golf association and luckily I learned a couple hours before driving out to an event and was able to withdraw last minute. I also withdrew from the next event to be cautious. We're all old men and our events are usually 120+ participants shotgun start so solo carts aren't an option. As for covid, my wife didn't test positive so the health department said I had no reason to test. Tests were scarcer in May I guess.

Last edited:
I'd quarantine myself for 12-14 days. When I returned from MA to TX, even though I had no idea if I had contact, I self-quarantined except for groceries and going to the driving range by myself.

i'd do the quarantine, get tested (which i have once already) and get on with my life...i could probably hit the range or practice green after 4 since it gets dark at 5 now and most people are off the range and almost done with their rounds so i'd have minimal contact with anyone

In situations like this I go back to a quote from Bridge of Spies, "Aren't you worried?" reply "Would it help?".

Like nearly everyone has said, I would want to know so that I could take extra precautions but outside of that it doesn't really change anything I'm doing other than I would work from home for 10 days and see if anything happened. I wouldn't be mad, or super worried simply because there's no point until there is. I'm not going out much, nor am I around that many people so it wouldn't be hard to take that to the next level and quarantine for a bit.

Test came back negative as expected but still, it's good to hear. I'll still avoid going into any stores and such but I think I'm good to hunt birds tomorrow and maybe play a few holes on Sunday.

When we went to Grand Canyon and Traveling el even with a trailer and no hotels, I still wanted to know if i had been exposed

When we went to Grand Canyon and Traveling el even with a trailer and no hotels, I still wanted to know if i had been exposed

Yeah, it's funny that I really wasn't too concerned but it is weird to click on that medical portal link and wait for the results to come up....ya start to think about it!

Yeah, it's funny that I really wasn't too concerned but it is weird to click on that medical portal link and wait for the results to come up....ya start to think about it!

Yep, no symptoms, just wondering if we may have been asymptomatic and hurting others, then it would be time to self quarantine and be done with it

Back