Would this be a decent set of clubs for me to start with?

UCChris

Hack of the worst kind...
Reaction score
Handicap
First off, I'm new here so I'm terribly sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm relatively new to the game of golf. Five years ago, I got my fathers old set of clubs when he upgraded. I was fifteen then. I've played probably 20 games of golf in the five years since getting my clubs but as I've moved out of my parents house and become an adult I've had more adult stresses and I've come to love going to the driving range or playing a quick 9 holes to de-stress. Anyway, I've gotten too tall for my clubs so I need to upgrade. I was looking at my local classifieds and found this ad.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=39416279&cat=&lpid=&search=golf club set calloway&ad_cid=2

Do you think that is a decent price for that set of clubs? If so, are those good enough clubs for me to learn to get better at golf and progress to a decent under 100 golfer?

Thanks Gents.

I'm relatively new to the game of golf. Five years ago, I got my fathers old set of clubs when he upgraded. I was fifteen then. I've played probably 20 games of golf in the five years since getting my clubs but as I've moved out of my parents house and become an adult I've had more adult stresses and I've come to love going to the driving range or playing a quick 9 holes to de-stress. Anyway, I've gotten too tall for my clubs so I need to upgrade. I was looking at my local classifieds and found this ad.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=39416279&cat=&lpid=&search=golf club set calloway&ad_cid=2

Do you think that is a decent price for that set of clubs? If so, are those good enough clubs for me to learn to get better at golf and progress to a decent under 100 golfer?

Thanks Gents.
Those will probably do you just fine for the money. But I warn you, if you really get hooked you will be looking to upgrade clubs in no time.

So how much ought I plan on spending in order to find a set of clubs that will get me through two/three years of progressing? I have a bag and whatnot, so I just need a club set. I might go down the local golf shop and tell them how much I have to spend ($300) and have them show me the best that I can get for that.

Would this be a decent set of clubs for me to start with?

So how much ought I plan on spending in order to find a set of clubs that will get me through two/three years of progressing? I have a bag and whatnot, so I just need a club set. I might go down the local golf shop and tell them how much I have to spend ($300) and have them show me the best that I can get for that.

With some hunting and a willingness to buy used and/or brands that aren't what the cool kids are using should get you a bag that you can play for the next few years.

Also check out places like rockbottomgolf.com. They sometimes have sales on new clubs that are a couple releases behind but are still very good.

Either route could get you a very playable set within your budget.

Another option could be to look through the Marketplace thread here on THP. Some great sets out there.

As Wake said, they will be fine for the money but if you really get into the game, you will likely be wanting to upgrade to newer, better, shinier within 6 months.

as others said, these are fine, but I have no doubt you will want to upgrade them soon enough.

what I would do, is post a message here on THP, in the market place saying what you are looking for and what your budget is. Some people will tell you what they have for sale in you might be surprise what you can get.

I'd think that for $300 you'd be able to pick up a great set of sticks that'll last you for a number of years. There are great deals to be had here in the marketplace, Rockbottom like others mentioned often have brand new quality sets for $299, and reputable eBayers can net you a gently used set of sticks for a great deal.

Thanks Gents.
First off, welcome to THP!

I really don't know enough about the clubs to say if they are a decent price or not. It seems hard to imagine you'll find a full set for less than $75, so in that sense it's a good deal if you are on a budget and want to get in the game. The clubs will be good enough for you to learn the game and progress. As others have said, expect that you'll want to upgrade ...but at the price you are paying, who cares? Enjoy!

As others have said, for $300, you could get a much better set of clubs off the THP marketplace or eBay.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm currently browsing RockBottomGolf.com and they look to have some sweet deals. However, since I am so wet behind the ears in this sport, I don't know what is quality and what isn't. Could y'all suggest some decent brands? I know Callaway, Adams, and Mizuno are good, but I don't know much else. Are brands like Wilson, Cobra, etc. any good? Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm currently browsing RockBottomGolf.com and they look to have some sweet deals. However, since I am so wet behind the ears in this sport, I don't know what is quality and what isn't. Could y'all suggest some decent brands? I know Callaway, Adams, and Mizuno are good, but I don't know much else. Are brands like Wilson, Cobra, etc. any good? Thanks!

Check out the Adams Golf website. They are liquidating and you can get a 2015 set of Adams Blue irons for a steal.
I play them and they are really nice irons.
Wilson and Taylormade are a couple more brands to look at.

$300 is plenty of money for an excellent used set.

I'd buy from the marketplace here.

If money is an issue, I'd try and find a GI set that is more likely to not need to be replaced right away (might not be the best suited for your current game, but not that far removed...but, you will grow into them quickly if you're practicing consistently).

I'm like you: I find the range has become where I now go to de-stress. I used to meditate (or try to); I can silence my mind way more with just a wedge in my hands, and a bucket of balls.

I will browse the marketplace here. I'm also looking at this set on RBG.com

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/ray-c...set-with-bag-graphite-steel.html#product-info

Any good?
IMHO I'd do the $75 set over this. If I'm upping my budget to approach 4 bills I'm buying year (or two) old stuff from mainstream manufacturers. To elaborate - this stuff can still be brand new but since it is a release or two old the prices come way down. If you find the same stuff used the price is even less expensive. Also, a $375 budget lets you post in the marketplace and get a complete set with relative ease, and this gear would almost certainly be an even better deal than what you'd find at an online retailer.

Cobra & Wilson Staff are very good. You can find a CobraFly Z or Bio Cell driver for dirt cheap on ebay or used. The Fly Z has been in my bag forever and I dont want to lose it because it is such a good club. Someone said to look at Adams, and I would agree 100% with that. They have high quality stuff that is WAY underpriced.

I will browse the marketplace here. I'm also looking at this set on RBG.com

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/ray-c...set-with-bag-graphite-steel.html#product-info

Any good?

I think it will be comparable to the top flite back you are looking at.

as far as brands to look at, any of the major companies put out some good products, Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra Taylormade/adams, wilson Staff(Wilson staff is much better than Wilson), nike. Ping Titleist and Mizunos are good too, but you are less likely to find them at a discount

I think you'll do perfectly fine with the $75 clubs. It would be hard to beat that price for a full bag and it provides you some leftover $$ to spend on more tee times, instruction, or range balls. It also lets you get out and play/practice now and further your knowledge base to be better informed as you search out your next set. Lots of good clubs and deals out there so go demo some to learn what features suit you best. Welcome to THP!

Go stop by Uinta golf about a half mile south of the mall on state street. They have a whole bunch of used clubs in there for decent prices and they will let you try them out. The prices are a little more than the marketplace here or eBay but you could possibly narrow down a little what you are looking for.

I'd buy that set for 75. It is really a no lose situation unless your budget is super tight. I initially spent over 200 on a set which I promptly upgraded, that was kind of a waste looking back. Unless that set is way off as far as fit, it should be a great start.

And welcome to THP!

The THP Market place is a great starting point. That's not a bad set to start with for the price though....AND...they have some good deals going on at Callaway Pre-Owned right now, too. Some sets are 25% off and I think they have free shipping, too. Just an idea.

Also

Welcome to THP!

Go stop by Uinta golf about a half mile south of the mall on state street. They have a whole bunch of used clubs in there for decent prices and they will let you try them out. The prices are a little more than the marketplace here or eBay but you could possibly narrow down a little what you are looking for.

I'm planning on stopping by there soon. I'm currently moving apartments so time is a little short, but after the move I will go up there.

In my other hobby, I wish I would've saved up to buy a better item, having bought the "beginner" stuff first. I've been trying to see what it would cost for me to get a Adams driver, fairway wood, #4 hybrid, 5-PW iron set, and a putter. It seems like Adams are good enough quality that I wouldn't be trying to upgrade right off the bat.

Those will probably do you just fine for the money. But I warn you, if you really get hooked you will be looking to upgrade clubs in no time.

Another option could be to look through the Marketplace thread here on THP. Some great sets out there.

As others have said, for $300, you could get a much better set of clubs off the THP marketplace or eBay.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

All of these fine gentlemen speak the truth. Just depends which way you want to go.

Back