Would you: Brandless Club Fitting

gkeller813

#UsGotThis
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Could you go to a fitting and hit clubs if you didn't know which brand they were? All the badging would be removed so you could see the crown of the driver, the topline of the iron, but you wouldn't know who makes the club.

Could you do it?

Could you go to a fitting and hit clubs if you didn't know which brand they were? All the badging would be removed so you could see the crown of the driver, the topline of the iron, but you wouldn't know who makes the club.

Could you do it?
That’s really interesting, if it were possible to test blindly and I had the money to get a while new bag of custom clubs I’d 100%, go to a fitter and completely go by the numbers, pay for it then let them tell me about what I bought 😃. 100% data lead equipment choices interest me...

I think that's the ideal way to do it, as a guy who cannot play Taylor made woods.

I think I could definitely do it and a true blind fitting is something that is very intriguing to me. I would still have my biases to a certain head shape/type, but I am not a particularly brand loyal person.

I certainly could do it but I've never given much weight to brand biases so there wouldn't be much point in it. My fitter stocks most models in most brands and goes where the numbers take him if you tell him you're not loyal to any given brands. Although there would be some designs that might not look appealing to me with or without badging.

I think that having brand bias gets in the way of a % of the total brands a consumer could purchase. Closes you off from options that might work.

I also think that if you don't know brand during a fitting, you'll have less pressure to make a club work, because it's what you had your eye on. You just get to hit clubs.

I think if you know anything about golf equipment it would be impossible not to know. I think it would be cool I just don't think it works.

I would do it if possible. It’s all about the numbers!

Absolutely. I think it'd be really interesting to see if some biases diminished, or if others were upheld - for both the fitter and player!

I think that's the ideal way to do it, as a guy who cannot play Taylor made woods.
Had to change at a certain point, right :unsure:

I think if you know anything about golf equipment it would be impossible not to know. I think it would be cool I just don't think it works.
I also had this thought, it would be impossible not to know. This is also a hypothetical, so beyond removing badging maybe wiping your memory of golf equipment too.

Do you think it matters enough at this point to go through with something like this? I think you can easily go get fit into your favorite brand and get a great bag of clubs you can easily play your best golf with. No need to be super brand agnostic IMO.

Could you do it?
Yep, When I did my fitting this year I did it blind. I had no idea what I was picking and went straight off numbers.

I certainly could do it but I've never given much weight to brand biases so there wouldn't be much point in it. My fitter stocks most models in most brands and goes where the numbers take him if you tell him you're not loyal to any given brands. Although there would be some designs that might not look appealing to me with or without badging.
I used to be more about the brand, buying before trying, and only wanting it because it was brand XYZ. Now after trying numerous brands I hadn't heard of before joining THP, my mind is being changed. I'm much more open to any brand that works, because a portion of fun golf for me, is hitting more good shots than bad shots, regardless of the name on the club.

If possible I would but I don’t know how I wouldn’t pick up on Turbulators or the offset on A G425

Do you think it matters enough at this point to go through with something like this? I think you can easily go get fit into your favorite brand and get a great bag of clubs you can easily play your best golf with. No need to be super brand agnostic IMO.
I definitely think their are some great brands, and you could build a really good bag with almost any brand out there right now. No question in my mind. But what about if you just look at numbers, then look at costs, and make our decisions. Instead of numbers, then brand, then cost. Maybe in a different order, but I still think brand comes into play.

Does it matter enough at this point, maybe not, but I like these fun thought exercises.

Absolutely. It's probably the best way to do it but I'm not sure how easy it would be for a fitting outfit to do that.

Interesting idea, but I want to like my clubs as well as hit them well. I won't swing them well if I think they're ugly. Kinda like the mentality that they look good, so they're going to perform good, so you swing them good. Or well. Whatever. I'm a simple minded fool.

So I guess brandless, yes. Ugly, no. Some badges help aesthetically.

So I guess brandless, yes. Ugly, no. Some badges help aesthetically.
I can get behind this thought. I still want to like how they look, but I'm less concerned about what words are on the club now.

Absolutely, I might have preferences on clubs, but I would gladly give a chance for a fitter to go thru my swing and bag with a completely openmind.

If I'm going to spend a great deal of money on golf clubs, I certainly need to know it's a brand and model that I can get some money for if/when I sell them on. Not that I'd spend $500 or $600 on a driver in the first place (I would not) but even if I spent $350 I'd only do so knowing that I could get 40-50% that back in resale or trade-in value.

If I'm going to spend a great deal of money on golf clubs, I certainly need to know it's a brand and model that I can get some money for if/when I sell them on. Not that I'd spend $500 or $600 on a driver in the first place (I would not) but even if I spent $350 I'd only do so knowing that I could get 40-50% that back in resale or trade-in value.
That is a valid point. I hadn't thought of resale as a portion of this buying process.

Could you do it?

Yes I could. I have been fit for all of the clubs in my bag and the fitters never told me what I was hitting until I was done.

With the Vokey fitting I knew the brand but did not look to see the grind until we were done. I was surprised at the end result.

For my putter fitting, I was handed one putter after another of all different brands and I hit about three putts each. I did not look at the Trackman monitor so I did not really know which ones were the best for me until the end. I think I tested 7 different putters of different brands and then the fitter narrowed them down to two putters. I was never given a lot of time to look at each putter so it was as blind of a test as I could probably take.

Same thing for my irons, driver, woods and hybrids.

I think so. I'll withhold reservation though... I have said here that I would be willing to play almost any club regardless of how it looked if it could help my game... then I went and looked at some of them. Nope. I have to be able to tolerate the looks... there are some clubs out there that are just plain ugly.

Sure, why not? It wouldn't be any different than a component fitting.

As long as the club(s) flew the ball well for me, I'd have a blind interest in them.

Back