Would you choose a different career path if you had to do life again?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
What do you think? Or have you already made a change?

Yes. I’d have gone into Zoology or Turf Management

I would have started with my current career first. I could have retired by now.

probably not. I went with what I was good at and interested me. I have been rewarded by being continuously employed in my field of study.

Until the end of my freshman year, I wasn't sure whether I was going to be an engineer or a music educator. I decided it would be easier to pursue the former and dabble in the latter than the other way around.

Incidentally, my university had a pretty strong music department, and 19 of the 23 members of the jazz ensemble were science or engineering majors.

Today, I think people need to view themselves as "Joe Bagadonutz, LLC," a $x,000/yr business who may happen to be serving as an employee. I would have adopted that view much earlier in my carer.

I’ve already made one change from mental health clinician to electrician. If I could go back to my teenage years, I’d tell my younger self to pick a better major than psychology or to just get in to construction right away.

I would have stayed with my original plan and I could be an unhappy lawyer by now.

Zoology would be so cool.
From a little kid it’s always what I wanted to do....then I got to college and decided to teach. Swing and a miss.

From a little kid it’s always what I wanted to do....then I got to college and decided to teach. Swing and a miss.
Would you ever go back, take classes again?

I don't think so, I would however do the last 8 years in the Marine Corps so I could have gotten retirement. I still don't regret getting out when I did.

Would you ever go back?
We talked about it when I quit teaching, I’m still up in the air about it. I figure when we get through this craziness a little more, I’m going to have to give it a hard think. I love learning.

I’m a Software Engineer. I’ve survived every recession and economic downturn for the last 25 years, and even prospered during some of them. I’d opt for that job security again in a heartbeat.

We talked about it when I quit teaching, I’m still up in the air about it. I figure when we get through this craziness a little more, I’m going to have to give it a hard think. I love learning.
That's awesome. Im not sure if have the balls to go back and try something different/new.

Nope. If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing. I loved my job, loved the people I worked with (most of them, anyways), and have zero regrets.

Yep - best job I've ever had was a side job.... I was the Public Address Announcer for a baseball team in SoCal. Loved every minute of it - got paid to watch baseball and talk about it. If I could go back in time, I'd research that path a bit more - and then add in a business degree of somesort.

I would have/should have chosen a different path. I had applied to the Naval Academy in my Senior year of HS and turned it down when they accepted me. LOL. But I do like that I have had 31 years of job security and have made quite a living at it. But if I had gone the Naval route I would have been a career Navy guy and would have retired by now. I am still working now and can retire anytime I want but I am just enjoying making the money that I am.

I would do some things differently and stuck with something music related vs going into my current career line.

I knew from 12 yo what I wanted to do and also knew I would make a change mid-life. I've been blessed to live that.

I’m not sure. I segued being a mechanic into teaching. I’m happy being a teacher, would love to coach again. I would have probably taken Gardner-Webb University up on their scholarship to play football and wrestle. I regret not taking that offer.

Not sure. I would have been curious to explore engineering, but I’ll say no. The only thing I’d change is picking Accounting as my first major rather than trying two others first :LOL:

100%. I should have been an engineer, or perhaps something else. I am in a career that I am good at, but it’s not enjoyable. It’s quite a paradox, TBH.

100%. I should have been an engineer, or perhaps something else. I am in a career that I am good at, but it’s not enjoyable. It’s quite a paradox, TBH.
😕

Man thats super tough.. I love what I do, but the low salary, despite having basically 2 masters, and seeing my friends who were selling cars or whatever make way more $ than me when we first got out of school was tough. And all the licensing and liability etc are still a PITA

My original idea for a career was accounting, but I don't think with my personality I could have done that, so my position now in a somewhat administrative role in behavioral health is best of both worlds

Or maybe I coulda woulda shoulda done a trade or something where I could own my own business

I’m not sure. I segued being a mechanic into teaching. I’m happy being a teacher, would love to coach again. I would have probably taken Gardner-Webb University up on their scholarship to play football and wrestle. I regret not taking that offer.
Just sitting here reading this thread, wearing this shirt thinking “dang me and @J.B. Cobb III shoulda been, coulda been best friends!!”
DFCB45D6-A4C4-4650-96A8-72037DE04463.jpeg

Back