Would you choose a different career path if you had to do life again?

I would've gone for my Masters earlier than I did - helped me tremendously in my career.

Back when I was in college, I interned for the Government in DC. Although they didn't have a position for me once I graduated, the department head said he could bring me in on an unpaid internship to network, and get me an entrance into Georgetown in the MBA program thru contacts. At the time, I felt I couldn't survive without getting a paid employment position. Yeah, I made a mistake and would love to have that opportunity over again.

I've a had an interesting and varied career and I'm doing well at the moment so I'm reasonably pleased with what I've done with my limited strengths. I don't think I could have done any better.

What do you think? Or have you already made a change?
I would. Ive always said that if I could do it again, I would pursue a career in the military as an officer, either the Navy or Marines. I say that because its a more structured, regimented life; not to mention being able to see the world for free and get a free education if you choose.
Im actually looking at doing a career change here in the next year. Im looking to transition from working in auto manufacturing to semi-retiring and going to school to become a barber. Im pretty excitied about it. Its certainly going to kill my disposable income for a while but I also will be doing a job that I actually want to do, instead of a job that I dont enjoy that I have just because it pays the bills. Sometimes, theres more important things than money.

I would. Ive always said that if I could do it again, I would pursue a career in the military as an officer, either the Navy or Marines. I say that because its a more structured, regimented life; not to mention being able to see the world for free and get a free education if you choose.
Im actually looking at doing a career change here in the next year. Im looking to transition from working in auto manufacturing to semi-retiring and going to school to become a barber. Im pretty excitied about it. Its certainly going to kill my disposable income for a while but I also will be doing a job that I actually want to do, instead of a job that I dont enjoy that I have just because it pays the bills. Sometimes, theres more important things than money.
Trust me, there is nothing free about it.

Trust me, there is nothing free about it.
True but at least you arent stuck paying college debt for 20 years like some people are.

I was an Air Traffic Controller for 26 years. I got to work in Monterey Ca, Honolulu, Tucson, Vegas and San Diego. Got paid well, good pension and 401K and retired at 50 in 2013. Been a golf bum ever since. Wouldn’t trade it.

I was an Air Traffic Controller for 26 years. I got to work in Monterey Ca, Honolulu, Tucson, Vegas and San Diego. Got paid well, good pension and 401K and retired at 50 in 2013. Been a golf bum ever since. Wouldn’t trade it.
All good places to play golf.

I would have been Tiger Woods.

Seriously I have been selling technology since I graduated from college and have done pretty well. If I had to do it over again I might think about commercial real estate. I would likely still be selling stuff though.

I would have been Tiger Woods.

Seriously I have been selling technology since I graduated from college and have done pretty well. If I had to do it over again I might think about commercial real estate. I would likely still be selling stuff though.
I would be Fowler, who cares about majors when your wife is that hot. Although, Tigers ex-wife was hot as well. Lucky SOBs. 😂

Yes. I would have gone into teaching.
Probably one of the single most underrated jobs IMO. I have lots of teachers in my close family and while they all complain about their job (who doesn't), it's a pretty cush gig. Government pension, job security, couple months off plus tons of holidays too, healthcare, etc. You won't get rich but I have one family member who retired at 56 and there's no way he ever made more than $70k a year.

In order:

T37
T38
C130
MC130
HC130
B727
B757/767
A319/320
B777

I enjoyed flying the 727 the most. Not much automation and lots of hand flying. Could do 25 in a row the smoothest landings ever, and then out of the blue would clunk and bounce one in like it was my first ever landing. Am sure there a few dents in the runway at LaGuardia from my handywork. Plane was a challenge to fly, but fun.
Miss the camaraderie of flying in the military, and did enjoy flying the 130. But that’s a younger mans game. Would do a 6 month deployment with the same crew and they truly became my brothers. Don't miss the circus, but miss the clowns.

Impressive list. I’ve been on the 37 for 19 years. Was scheduled to go on the 87 then covid hit. . Who knows now.

Still wouldn’t change anything though. You’re right. A ton of time off. The fatigue thing is the only downfall.

One thing covid has done has given me a few years added back on my life. Waking up at the same time and in the same bed for the last year has been amazing. I’ve worked a total of 28 days in the last 365. Lots of time with the kids.

Honestly, I think about this quite a lot.

I like what I do currently, but not sure how applicable it will be if I choose to leave my current situation. At the end of the day, I am relatively happy with work, and I can provide for my family, and I think that is as much as anyone can ask for.

Absolutely. I didn't really choose my current career, but rather just kind of fell into it, and it stuck. I do well financially now, but it took a long time to get to this point. I would gladly go back to college and stick it out instead of dropping out. I would also have pursued my music career more vigorously when I was younger and there were more open doors.

I would have stayed on Active Duty, would not have left for the private sector, would have retired long ago and probably retired from a second by now.......I am only 2 years from a second now. But our lives are what we don't know sometimes. I would not have met my bestest half, wouldn't be sitting here in north Texas in a snowmagedon, and i am happy-so there's that

Impressive list. I’ve been on the 37 for 19 years. Was scheduled to go on the 87 then covid hit. . Who knows now.

Still wouldn’t change anything though. You’re right. A ton of time off. The fatigue thing is the only downfall.

One thing covid has done has given me a few years added back on my life. Waking up at the same time and in the same bed for the last year has been amazing. I’ve worked a total of 28 days in the last 365. Lots of time with the kids.
That’s a long time being on the guppy, but it’s beat working for a living 😎

I think if I were given another chance to live my life anew, I would go into medicine. At school, it seemed that the training was too complicated, and I would not master it. But now I understand that I missed a huge opportunity to do what I love.
A friend advises me to take a blood collector course. He tells me: "Look here and sign up for them. There are good teachers and a low price." But I'm not sure that at 35, I'm ready to change my life dramatically. Now everything seems not so simple because there are obligations, financial issues, and so on.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Yes. I would go into engineering or become a pilot. Finance is a great career path but I can’t tell you how many times I sit at my computer and think “Do I really care about this?”

I think if I were given another chance to live my life anew, I would go into medicine. At school, it seemed that the training was too complicated, and I would not master it. But now I understand that I missed a huge opportunity to do what I love.
It’s never too late! My wife is doing her medical residency and she has coworkers and classmates who went to medical school in their 50’s.

I would have gone into mechanical engineering, finance or public service career had I the chance to start over.

I 1000% would. Definitely possible I may make a change at some point, but at this point I am too far into my current career.

Back