Would You Count Two Nine-Hole Scores as a Personal Best?

Not unless I played them back to back on two nines at the same course. Any rounds in between or nines at different courses I’d say no.
Exactly this. My home course is a 9-hole track so most of the scores I have are for 9 only (that’s all I can usually get in after work). But on the weekend if I play 18, it’s essentially two back to back 9’s.

I would only count it as a PB for the 9 holes, not a full round as it can be a lot harder to keep a good score going for 18 holes at a time

I would not.

same day, different 9s, same course? yeah, sure.

Different days? Same 9s? No sir.
This was kind of my thinking as well.

No.

I hear that I shot a PB 9 hole round and then followed it up with a great 9 hole round that was just shy of PB....have to have the "same swing" and round to count as 18 hold PB. .... I would continuously day dream of what could have been had I added the back 9 to the days agenda.

Not even close.
It is a completely different playing 18 holes straight vs. two 9 holes - both physically and mentally.

Yeah can't count them, especially if they are different days. If you played 2 9-hole loops back to back, I would say yes though. The grid through 18 is much different than just 9. And I love 9 hole rounds!

same day, different 9s, same course? yeah, sure.

Different days? Same 9s? No sir.
This was my thought too. Didn't hit a PB, but I played the front 9 on a saturday morning and the back the next day. To me I look at that as a standard 18 hole score.

No I wouldnt. My back nine is usally on average 3 strokes worse than my front 9. Not sure if my swing gets tired or I lose focus, but my back is always slightly worse. I wouldnt be able to combine the scores and feel right about it.

I would not, unless it is the same course, different nines, no golf in-between, on a full moon in August, any day of the week except for Tuesday and holidays.

I would not, unless it is the same course, different nines, no golf in-between, on a full moon in August, any day of the week except for Tuesday and holidays.

Scores from Vermont and Nebraska are void, too. :D

Nope.

But like anything I might make an exception for darkness ending the round and picking up the next morning.

For example you play in the SLOW leagues around here and you shoot a 29. Decide to play the other nine. Three holes in it gets too dark. Come back out the next morning and take up where you left off.

Same with weather.

Nope.

But like anything I might make an exception for darkness ending the round and picking up the next morning.

For example you play in the SLOW leagues around here and you shoot a 29. Decide to play the other nine. Three holes in it gets too dark. Come back out the next morning and take up where you left off.

Same with weather.

I think this is reasonable, if your intent was to play 18, the round was interrupted by course conditions, and you are able to resume the round as soon as the course is playable.

I'm sensing a lot of "I know it when I see it" here, and counting two disconnected nine-hole rounds doesn't make a PB.

No I wouldn't. I have a 9 hole best and an 18 hole best.

It is nice to see the combined number on the GHIN app tho!

With Member-Guest SZN coming up, how about the last 4 weeks of league for me.

45-39-38-43

Because of how the 9s get combined as they come in, that posted as an 84 and an 81. Worse (or better depending on your perspective) timing would have posted a 77 in there. I'm a great Guest!

While I agree with you, it is an interesting question.
What happens if its a long rain delay and you have to finish after a several hour break? Does that count? What about this scenario? You are playing in a 9 hole league and everybody goes in to settle up. After settling up, you go finish the other 9. Does that count?

What happens if its a long rain delay and you have to finish after a several hour break? Does that count? What about this scenario? You are playing in a 9 hole league and everybody goes in to settle up. After settling up, you go finish the other 9. Does that count?
In both cases, I vote yes. Second scenario is like an extended lunch at the turn.

Similar to @Smiter and his example of having to finish a round the next day because of darkness, like say you were in US Open qualifying.

I'm in the "No" camp on this one too. I don't think that GHIN should be combining them either.

In both cases, I vote yes. Second scenario is like an extended lunch at the turn.

Similar to @Smiter and his example of having to finish a round the next day because of darkness, like say you were in US Open qualifying.

Based on logic then, and the handicapping rules, two nines do make up a round. :ROFLMAO:

Based on logic then, and the handicapping rules, two nines do make up a round. :ROFLMAO:
See my example above. For handicapping, I definitely shot an 84 and an 81, but for my personal best, I shot 45, then 77, and then that pesky 43 haha.

I think intent to complete a round makes the difference in the situations. I took the original post as I played a round one day and another 9 the next day or so later. I could be totally wrong tho.

Here you go again, @JB, with the interesting questions. ;)

I think some "I know it when I see it" logic can be applied here.

I think in terms of 18 continuous holes. If I put the clubs in my trunk (or locker, for some of you), that ends the round, UNLESS course conditions (weather, darkness) dictate the stoppage. Then I would count it as an 18 hole round if I am able to resume play when the course is reopened to play. If I can only complete 15 holes due to darkness and I cannot resume play at 16 tee when the course reopens the next morning, I'm not counting it. If we go inside after nine to settle up, I still have my shoes on and my bag on the cart or at the bag stand, and I say, "Ya know what? I'm playing pretty well, I'm going to play the other nine and see how I do," that counts if you card a PB. If I decide that after I've loaded the bag and/or changed my shoes? Sorry, that round is over. And if the starter says, "You can't go off the back nine, but you can play the front again," I'm not counting that as an 18 hole PB round.

Back