Would You Count Two Nine-Hole Scores as a Personal Best?

I think intent to complete a round makes the difference in the situations. I took the original post as I played a round one day and another 9 the next day or so later. I could be totally wrong tho.

You interpreted my question correctly.

Here you go again, @JB, with the interesting questions. ;)

I think some "I know it when I see it" logic can be applied here.

I think in terms of 18 continuous holes. If I put the clubs in my trunk (or locker, for some of you), that ends the round, UNLESS course conditions (weather, darkness) dictate the stoppage. Then I would count it as an 18 hole round if I am able to resume play when the course is reopened to play. If I can only complete 15 holes due to darkness and I cannot resume play at 16 tee when the course reopens the next morning, I'm not counting it. If we go inside after nine to settle up, I still have my shoes on and my bag on the cart or at the bag stand, and I say, "Ya know what? I'm playing pretty well, I'm going to play the other nine and see how I do," that counts if you card a PB. If I decide that after I've loaded the bag and/or changed my shoes? Sorry, that round is over. And if the starter says, "You can't go off the back nine, but you can play the front again," I'm not counting that as an 18 hole PB round.

I think logic can be applied, but at the same time, its not as if logic really goes with the rules of golf all that well.
To use another example. You play the front 9 and you hurt your back a bit. Decide after grabbing some food to hold off before swinging again. Come back the next day when you are feeling better and play the back 9, does that not count? And if it does, how is it different than any other scenario?

I think intent to complete a round makes the difference in the situations. I took the original post as I played a round one day and another 9 the next day or so later. I could be totally wrong tho.

I think it does too honestly, but I am starting to convince myself as random questions come into my head that its not as easy as it is made out to be.

Nope, I don't even count them, 9 is for practice.

Keeping up good play for 18 holes is part of the challenge.

I think logic can be applied, but at the same time, its not as if logic really goes with the rules of golf all that well.
To use another example. You play the front 9 and you hurt your back a bit. Decide after grabbing some food to hold off before swinging again. Come back the next day when you are feeling better and play the back 9, does that not count? And if it does, how is it different than any other scenario?

As I'm standing, looking at your question, I see gray all around. But I'm not counting it. Injuries are a part of the game, but I put my clubs away for a reason other than course conditions. Round over at nine holes. It's the golfing equivalent of the guy who is batting .385 when he has a season-ending knee injury and fails to reach the minimum at-bats to qualify for the batting title. Great season, but not a title winner.

Kind of like the time after a round when a guy in our group announced he's shot 73 (or some other real impressive number). We were all congratulating him when one of the guys who'd been in his group pointed out he "took a double" on a hole where he hit two balls in the pond on the 13th hole.

Dead silence for about 10 seconds, crickets. Then somebody politely changed the topic to football.

I guess he felt like he'd shot the round of his life (given that he was a double-digit handicapper) but his feeling that way doesn't make it so.

Two 9s played back-to-back on the same day? I would count it as a personal best.

As I'm standing, looking at your question, I see gray all around. But I'm not counting it. Injuries are a part of the game, but I put my clubs away for a reason other than course conditions. Round over at nine holes. It's the golfing equivalent of the guy who is batting .385 when he has a season-ending knee injury and fails to reach the minimum at-bats to qualify for the batting title. Great season, but not a title winner.

But the question would be more like guy who batted .385 for half a season, got injured and then came back and continued his hot streak, right?
Using the same baseball analogy. Guy hits in 20 straight games. Misses 5 games with injury and then comes back and hits in 20 straight again. His hitting streak doesnt stop, does it?

But the question would be more like guy who batted .385 for half a season, got injured and then came back and continued his hot streak, right?
Using the same baseball analogy. Guy hits in 20 straight games. Misses 5 games with injury and then comes back and hits in 20 straight again. His hitting streak doesnt stop, does it?

Fair point. Perhaps a poor example on my part. It may be more like you double, homer, and single in your first three at-bats, then you take yourself out of the game. You can't come back in, hit a triple, and claim the cycle. It's OK if you are still in the game and come back after a rain delay, but also unfortunate for you if the game is called and you never get that fourth at-bat. If your back hurts, the course was playable, and you took yourself out, the round is over IMO. I think I see your point, but it ;looks like we disagree on this one.

Fair point. Perhaps a poor example on my part. It may be more like you double, homer, and single in your first three at-bats, then you take yourself out of the game. You can't come back in, hit a triple, and claim the cycle. It's OK if you are still in the game and come back after a rain delay, but also unfortunate for you if the game is called and you never get that fourth at-bat. If your back hurts, the course was playable, and you took yourself out, the round is over IMO. I think I see your point, but it ;looks like we disagree on this one.

But in this instance, the game wasn't called. Its a weather delay or injury and you are coming back to finish it.
I was in the camp that it didnt work, but I think I talked myself out of it.

But in this instance, the game wasn't called. Its a weather delay or injury and you are coming back to finish it.
I was in the camp that it didnt work, but I think I talked myself out of it.

Let me try to talk you back into it. Our track record suggests a low chance of success, but I'm persistent.

I agree that a weather delay or darkness is a legit reason to interrupt a round. But if the course is ready for play to resume, it's your turn, and you do not go, it is like you've withdrawn from a tournament. It's over.

If you finish on 9 and it's too dark to play:
  1. Your round continues if you tee off on 10 when the course reopens at 5:45 am.
  2. If you cannot tee off on 10 at 5:45 - you don't want to, or someone else has that time already booked - yesterday's round ended at nine holes.
If your back is acting up, and you choose not to hit when the course is open and awaiting your shot, your round is over. You've withdrawn. Admittedly, you may not have much of a choice if you can't stand up, but you have withdrawn.

These are how I would view them. I can understand how others would take the opposite view, and I wouldn't think any less of them for it. I want my PB to be without an asterisk, and to me, the circumstances you described would raise some doubt in my mind if it were my round..

No; two different days, different conditions and less fatigue factor. I would consider the lower of the two (in terms of strokes over par as my course is 36 on the front and 34 on the back) as my personal best for 9 however.

I am in the no camp, I am fine with it being combined for GHIN but wouldn't feel right calling it my lowest score as you never know what would've happened if you had played all at the same time where fatigue or other things could set in.

Nope - I'd have a 65 PB instead of a 68; it's tempting though because a 65 would be a once-in-a-lifetime score for me and I really think my best days are gone!

Absolutely NOT.

Playing 9 versus playing 18 are completely different animals. They are like a different game.

I have even been under par a few times through 9 in my life but never broke par once playing 18 (and I used to play a LOT of 18 holes). There is a reason for that. The mental, physical demands of an 18 (and having that "I want my career best today" playing in your head) are just completely different than 9.

No. Even though my two lowest consecutive nine holes are 74, on the back nine and then the front nine of the same course, one week apart, with no golf in between, I didn't shoot a 74. I shot a 38 and the next time out a 36. That fact that GHIN combined them is irrelevant. That's just an accounting procedure.

I keep track of my 9 and 18 hole PBs separately. My lowest combined scores are close to the same (we used to alternate the front and back 9 in league) but they are different scores for me.

Showed up at course Monday and it was Jr clinic day...Front was packed so off back I went...Came around and front was jammed with very young golfers with Dad's...So off the back I go again as no one was on 9...Back 9 twice is posted as my score. It counts as an 18 hole round. If two 9ers make up your personal best....Own it. Good stuff.

Not a chance, but I’d also never post a nine hole score. To me, golf is 18 holes. Even though I wish a round was 12 or 14 holes, it’s not.

Adding two nines together would be like adding an NBA player’s first half score from one game and second half score from another game and saying they set the single game scoring record. It just doesn’t work that way.

Back