Would You Do Your Own Club Work?

Let's assume you had the tools. Would you do your own club work?
My grandpa was a tinkerer and would build clubs in his garage ... if I had the equipment, I’d love to do the work. It’s always intrigued me and I think it would be a really soothing process for me.

I just need more space! My garage is more like 1.5 car parking, I have no basement and my shed is like 8x10' and is full of tools, but limited to wood working. I like working with my hands and am working on a set of clubs to lengthen, but I end up using the top of my built in gas grill as my bench top.... Luckily, the weather isn't awful!

I would and do. All except bending clubs because just can't justify the expense of the necessary machines to do it.

I enjoy re-gripping my own clubs and have done it for the last couple of years. Choosing the grips and the removing the old ones, prepping and placing the new ones on. Fun to say the least and nice to know I did it. I would love to learn more about club work just for my own satisfaction.

Yes. I just re-shafted my irons. Everything came out correctly and the heads haven't fallen off during use, so I'd say so far, so good. Cutting down and/or re-gripping shafts is too simple to have someone else do.

I wish I had a loft/lie machine, but the cost is too much for how little I'd actually use it. Same goes for a belt sander, though they are much more affordable.

Would absolutely do my own if I had the tools to do so. I dabbled a little in replacing my own grips and got pretty good and quick at it. Grips are simple though.

Would love to have the correct tools to change loft and lies etc. just to tinker.

I have re-griped my clubs. I have a shaft puller and need a work bench to start to change shafts! I want to start on some of my old, old clubs to see how I do!

Yes, I do the majority of my own work right now.

Don't have a shaft puller so I don't do that (graphite)

But installs and what not I do.

Yes, absolutely. I’ve done minor things already and do most everything else at home. I’ve also done the same with other sports equipment.

If I had all of the equipment I think it would be a lot of fun. Without a proper setup I'm a little hesitate to try much. I need to reshaft my irons but haven't pulled the trigger. I need to live closer to Casa de THP to send my clubs over for work.

No, I do not believe I would. Doing my own club work holds no appeal. Additionally I have two guys local that I trust to do any work that is needed. Their price's are reasonable enough that, I feel no need to learn or purchase equipment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Would absolutely do more than I currently do if I had the equipment. Loft/lie machine, nice puller, hot melt, etc are a little tough to justify for my own personal use.

I do not have the room in the present house. If i did i would consider learning how to do somethings.

Sure. Would be a good thing.

I have the tools and do all my club work unless it comes from the OEM or CC built. Wedges are the most common thing I do - buy a standard one off the rack, pull the shaft, install my preferred shafts and swing weight it and then adjust loft/lie.
if the mfgs would just send me the heads I would do it all myself without having to disassemble first.

I’d like to say yes I would because I have purchased some of the tools, have some knowledge and in fact have done some iron work. I won’t touch graphite without the proper tools though other than putting a tip on anew shaft or cutting the butt.

Absolutely. I do a lot of it now but still need to add swing weight scale and a loft/ lie machine.

Yes, I've been doing it for years. I don't have a loft/Lie or Bending machine so I do what I can.

Absolutely I would. I have a great workshop area but don't have the desire to lay out the cash for what I'd want.

I know there's more economical options but I'd want all the cool looking large tools.

In a heart beat. Already do my grips and would love to do more.

To be honest I am thinking of playing around and making up my own set from some components from Golfworks and seeing how that goes. At the price you can do it for, it won't break the bank if I fail.

Only trouble I see is if I really like doing it and find my way down a rabbit hole ;)

I absolutely would. I have had access to the tools in the past and I prefer doing my own work.

I would definitely teach myself as best as I could but I’d be worried about a head flying off and injuring someone :oops:

In your experience @JB, how much would it cost to put together a workshop to handle irons and woods for shafts, gripping, swingweighting, and the most important tasks? Nothing too extravagant, but the basics.

In your experience @JB, how much would it cost to put together a workshop to handle irons and woods for shafts, gripping, swingweighting, and the most important tasks? Nothing too extravagant, but the basics.

Very little. Even with some great equipment. Gripping doesn’t take much other than a vice. Its not necessary to have a full grip station like we have in the lab.

Swing Weight Machine
Shaft Puller

I prefer using Mitchell gear, but it is more expensive than some basic stuff. Less than $500 on the cheap for a decent quality setup there. Could be done for far less too.

Back