Would You Do Your Own Club Work?

I string my own tennis rackets because of money and time savings, so I can't see why I wouldn't mind doing minor club work if I had the equipment.

Currently regripping and reshafting some iron woods and my 4 wood. It's not as intimidating as I thought once you get a shaft puller. I'm not sure that I would delve in to loft/lie adjustments, but who knows, it could be fun!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I definitely would. I've been tossing around the idea of setting up a regripping station in my basement to start. Just need to find the time and make some space.

I do club work all the time and don't see the need for a Loft/Lie. Recently built a pretty strong relationship with a local shop who has one, and for less than 30 bucks (if they even charge me), it's worth the drive.

For most, a puller, heat, and grip station is about all that needed in my opinion.

I seem to live in a black hole for golf shops and club repair work. It is a 25 minute drive with no traffic to a decent golf shop and 40 minutes to a decent shop to do club work. I made the drive to have some work done on stuff to test the XCaliber shafts but if I had the tools I would have done it myself. I have a shaft puller and a vice so I do some simple reshafting and always regrip my clubs. If I lived 10 minutes from a shop that would do loft and lie I wouldn’t want one. Frankly I don’t do that much on lofting and lies so I haven’t felt the need to buy one. I should probably get a swingweight scale.

I seem to live in a black hole for golf shops and club repair work. It is a 25 minute drive with no traffic to a decent golf shop and 40 minutes to a decent shop to do club work. I made the drive to have some work done on stuff to test the XCaliber shafts but if I had the tools I would have done it myself. I have a shaft puller and a vice so I do some simple reshafting and always regrip my clubs. If I lived 10 minutes from a shop that would do loft and lie I wouldn’t want one. Frankly I don’t do that much on lofting and lies so I haven’t felt the need to buy one. I should probably get a swingweight scale.
Yeah, definitely a different situation for you.

I'd definitely buy a loft/lie machine long before a swingweight scale.

Already do and absolutely love it. I find I take more pride in my clubs when I do the work on them.

If I had the space, tools, and means, yes. Already do my own grips, but for that you just need a vise, rubber shaft holder, and a hooked utility blade.

While I'm far from a shaft ho, I can see where being able to swap a favorite from one club to another can be an advantage both economically and in performance.

If I had a loft and lie machine, let's just say I'd probably be meticulous about checking them.

Yes I would. I very much enjoy being able to tinker and maintain my own equipment.

Enjoy changing grips for myself and buddies. Have a chop saw and pipe cutter for shaft modifications. Will epoxy tips on. Have a SW scale. The one thing I wish I had is a shaft puller and torch.

Do my own work,,, only two screw ups,,, changing out iron heads outside in a slight wind,, with graphite shafts and when ya heat the irons up to release the bond of the epoxy they didn't want to let loose,, and was a pulling and twisting on the shaft and noticed the graphite shaft twisting alittle before the epoxy let loose,,, I didn't know what the outcome was going to be.. so I reused the shafts,, and both about 30 swings later broke and my 7i and pitching wedge went a flying about 40 yds,,, No one noticed the "incidents" but me,, and with a sheepish and sly pick up played on... Lesson learned,,, Heat the head fast (inside with no wind to fight the heating process) and pull quickly (I use welder gloves) and a heat gun from harbor freight. and if ya see the shaft twist,,,, aaaaa,,,, it gives a new meaning to 4

If I had the time, would definitely set up a shop with my own tools and tinker with clubs

Do my own work,,, only two screw ups,,, changing out iron heads outside in a slight wind,, with graphite shafts and when ya heat the irons up to release the bond of the epoxy they didn't want to let loose,, and was a pulling and twisting on the shaft and noticed the graphite shaft twisting alittle before the epoxy let loose,,, I didn't know what the outcome was going to be.. so I reused the shafts,, and both about 30 swings later broke and my 7i and pitching wedge went a flying about 40 yds,,, No one noticed the "incidents" but me,, and with a sheepish and sly pick up played on... Lesson learned,,, Heat the head fast (inside with no wind to fight the heating process) and pull quickly (I use welder gloves) and a heat gun from harbor freight. and if ya see the shaft twist,,,, aaaaa,,,, it gives a new meaning to 4
NEVER twist a graphite shaft when pulling a shaft. Also, don't overheat the head when removing graphite shafts. That's why you need a shaft puller. It provides straight pulling action and breaks the epoxy bond as soon as the temp is sufficient to do so.

Does Changing your Grips at home Count?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Yes, I do all my own club work when it's needed. I was a custom club builder from 1989 to 2017 and had my own shop. I actually started building my own clubs in either 1986 or 1987,and in 1989 opened my own shop. I kept my tools when I quit the business. It's not that hard to do but you must have patience and be meticulous.

Last edited:
I would if I knew what I was doing yes but I would pick up some cheap clubs ag a yard sale to practice on first

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Let's assume you had the tools. Would you do your own club work?
Definitely, I have been getting more interested club tinkering. Recently purchased a club vice and grip solvent pan, tape, etc. Going to start with regripping my clubs. Plan to get a torch and some old irons from the thrift store to practice pulling heads, change the ferrules, eventually get into changing my own shafts and adding the manufacturer specific tips for the woods. That’s going to take some epoxy knowledge.
I don’t mean to minimalize what others do but I don’t think it’s that hard. To me it’s more about setting aside the time and creating an area in the garage to make it happen.

This is something I’d love to know how to do, but ultimately it may cost me more in the long run having someone else fix my mistakes. Lol!!!

Few years back bought a going out of the golf business entire kit. Everything a tour truck has for a song.

Take apart my clubs every winter swap shafts and put in new BB&F ferrules just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Somewhat related to this thread - does anyone (@JB?) know if the THP Club Lab thread still exists? Where discussion of how to outfit the club lab and what choices were made? I've been searching for quite a while and cannot seem to find it. Thanks!

Nope, don't know enough and would mess it up.

Absolutely I would do my own work. I already do all my own grips and when I retire in a couple of years, I intend on buying some equipment and tools to do other things for myself and friends.

I do my own regrip, iron shaft change, and driver shaft adapter change. The only thing I can’t do is remove an adapter on an existing graphite shaft, because I don’t have the correct puller. Once you get the hang of it, it’s really easy. Love that I get to install the grip exactly the way I like, 3 wraps with a little stretch to it.

Back