Would You Do Your Own Club Work?

Yes I would. I would need a swingweight scale and a loft/lie machine. Plus I would need to clean up my workspace. I already have a shaft puller.

I do some of my own simple stuff but am a bit hesitant to do full reshafts right now.

Let's assume you had the tools. Would you do your own club work?
I've been doing my own repairs and tweeks for 23 years. I even did repairs for the local country club for several seasons. I build clubs for people that ask. It is a great hobby.

Yes, especially when it comes to reshafting, etc. That can get pretty expensive when you have someone else do it. I've got a couple places that will put grips on for no charge on top of the grip prices, so that's a tougher sell.

Absolutely. I regrip my own clubs now and have done shaft work in the past. If I had high tech and quality tools I would probably do even more.

... When I was on staff with Titleist in the 90's I got a set of irons with the spec sheet that was egregiously off ie: 7 and 8 iron had 1* of loft separation, so I started doing all my own work. Started with grips, then re-shafts, then a LL machine and a shaft puller. Very rewarding doing your own work and much easier than most think. If you like to tinker, the cost of the equipment pays for itself in a few years.

No doubt for sure, that would be a great hobby and stress reliever for me.

If I had the space to set up a work bench, sure, why not? I try to do my own work on my car when I can so that I know the job is done right and Id probably do the same with my golf clubs if I could.

I would like to learn how I think it would be a great way to help keep the cost down and make a few bucks by doing other peoples in my spare time. I am always looking for a side hustle since I am a stay at home dad.

Absolutely I would. Something therapeutic about it. So far I’ve just changed grips but love the feeling of accomplishment I have when it’s done

Like others, replacing grips is the extent of my club work. I suppose I might go as far replacing shafts but probably nothing beyond that. While I have the room in my workshop, I need to simplify my life a bit... too many hobbies, not enough time or discipline to do them right.

I would love to but need to make a trip south to Cincy so @Canadan can teach me the ways haha.

I would love to but need to make a trip south to Cincy so @Canadan can teach me the ways haha.
Open invitation, 100%. We'll build, putt, maybe hit up Top Golf if the weather sucks.

Let's assume you had the tools. Would you do your own club work?

I install grips and don't seem to have a need for any other type of club work.
Every now and then I think about buying a loft and lie bending machine, but I am not sure I would get much use out of it.

I install grips and don't seem to have a need for any other type of club work.
Every now and then I think about buying a loft and lie bending machine, but I am not sure I would get much use out of it.
I do club work all the time and don't see the need for a Loft/Lie. Recently built a pretty strong relationship with a local shop who has one, and for less than 30 bucks (if they even charge me), it's worth the drive.

For most, a puller, heat, and grip station is about all that needed in my opinion.

I've been doing my own work since 2000. The only thing I shy away from is bore thru clubs, but those are so ancient they're few and far between now.

I used to have a loft & lie machine, too, but sold it before I left Guam and wish I hadn't. I'd love to have another now, but I can't justify the expenditure. It's one of those things that I probably could get a cheaper model, but if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. https://mr3golfdesigns.com/products/true-blue-loft-lie

Oh yeah. If I can, I will, and do. Not going to invest in a loft/lie machine though. I'm alright with sending them out for that, for now.

Yup I would. I think it would be something fun I could do with my dad.

I love doing my own work. I play irons short of standard and always end up cutting and regripping. I swapped my first set of iron shafts last season and enjoyed the challenge

Absolutely. I love working with my hands.

If I had all the tools, I’d never leave my garage.

I'll just say that I would love to know HOW to do my own club work. Once I figured that out I would be completely into it. I would actually find it pretty relaxing, actually. It would beat the hell out of sitting in front of the t.v. Turn on some music, breaks out the goods and just dive in.

The required investment for proper tools to make such a thing happen, though, quickly makes it a solid "nope". If somehow this stuff just fell into my lap, I'd be all over it.

Been doing it since mid 90s , quit for a while involuntarily but back at it again and still enjoy it

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Back