Would You Do Your Own Club Work?

I definitely would. I do all my re-gripping, but don't have the tools or space to go much further than that. Would love to be able to chuck different shafts in irons to see how numbers changed and tinker with lies and lofts. Having said that, I struggled to successfully build a flat packed wardrobe recently, so I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

Absolutely. I've already built a set of irons and hybrid irons. Then, changed out the shafts on those and I always regrip myself, but I use Pure grips, so they're easy.

Yep, no doubt. I'm just missing a few things. Putter bender & shaft frequency analyzer (y)

I can't imagine not doing it. I have all the necessary essentials needed including a Mitchell L/L machine.

You bet. I love tinkering with stuff!

I do club work all the time and don't see the need for a Loft/Lie. Recently built a pretty strong relationship with a local shop who has one, and for less than 30 bucks (if they even charge me), it's worth the drive.

For most, a puller, heat, and grip station is about all that needed in my opinion.
Having a L&L machine though is a ton of fun.

Let's assume you had the tools. Would you do your own club work?

yes, I would. I would need a little education but after that I woul.

hahaha, the Canadan Custom Shop shows inferiority once again.
I need a grip ripper though.

EVERYONE needs a grip ripper.

For those of you who have yet to install your own grips, a vice or workbench is not necessary. The only equipment needed is :

1) knife to remove old grip
2)new grip,
3) double sided tape
4) grip solvent

Absolutely! I wish I had all the tools to do more. I'm slowing adding to my collection and love doing club work.

I do some of my own club work at DICK’S... I enjoy doing it, and I watch the THP videos on club work while I’m doing either work for myself, or work for customer...

Yes. I would love that.

There are 2 small, local shops that have all the equipment to build and work on clubs. Everything is right out front and center. Eventually I plan to become an occasional apprentice who asks too many questions; doing this without damaging a relationship will take time. I am a hands on learner. If I can get a base of experience and knowledge, I will setup my own little golf work bench. Building and customizing my own clubs would be a joy.

I am not someone who changes clubs or tinkers with existing setups, so I probably wouldn't think about doing this to be honest

I do club work all the time and don't see the need for a Loft/Lie. Recently built a pretty strong relationship with a local shop who has one, and for less than 30 bucks (if they even charge me), it's worth the drive.

For most, a puller, heat, and grip station is about all that needed in my opinion.
For me the loft/lie machine would be more of a want than a need. But I really want one. ?

Absolutely. I do a decent amount of my own grips, and I've put adapters on driver shafts. If I had a bender, I'd do my own loft and lie adjustments. It's not money so much as I enjoy fixing/building my own stuff.

Yes, I used to do a lot of shaft changes and component builds 15-20 years ago. In fact I was thinking about changing the shafts out of my 3 and 5 woods just the other day. Probably won’t since I can just go to CPO and trade them for new to me ones with different shafts. But I like the fact I could buy a couple shafts, ferrules and basically have new clubs.

I do my own club work, and club work for my Home course. For those considering it, you really need the right equipment and it AIN'T cheap.

For those of you who have yet to install your own grips, a vice or workbench is not necessary. The only equipment needed is :

1) knife to remove old grip
2)new grip,
3) double sided tape
4) grip solvent

TRUE... but having a bench and vice is nice. Especially if you want to install with compressed air, which I often do.

Hell yes. I get tired of paying Roger Dunn’s to swap out sleeve adapters to my favorite shafts for all the different heads I want to try. Plus all the other fun stuff I could try and do.

Back