Would you ever consider playing a par5 with a lay up tee shot?

The first hole on my home course is a short par 5. If I'm not hitting driver well I'll often lay up off the tee. I can hit iron off the tee and still have a wedge to the green. Sometimes I'll even hit 6/7 iron off the tee then hit 5w for my second shot so I have inside 100 instead of a lower lofted wedge. I have no problem doing it when trouble in the driver landing zone.

Cannot say I have lately. Last time would have to be a few years ago. I tend to be aggressive with my tee shots, especially with driver in hand.

if it's short i don't see a point in doing it.

That's a very general statement to always simply assume. Circumstances combines with yardage will be what dictates regardless of the yardage by itself. And we are in general talking of when we know for sure its a 3shot hole.

Your on a P5 (not super long) and you know is not reachable or too dangerous to attempt and you never try even after a good drive.

In discussing managing ones game I've often discussed putting myself in position "A" on a basic P4 even if that means using a lay up tee shot vs the driver/3wood. The idea would be to play to your strengths and play to what the course gives you. At least for better management of certain holes for me over all. Many have agreed with such logic and say they also play sinilarly.

Well what about a P5 in the above scenario? Knowing its a 3shot hole for you would you consider lay up tee shot? Sort of with the same logic of being in position "A" as on the P4 but we now look at two positions instead. The logic here is to obtain position "A" to best help set up for and then obtain positon "B".

Perhaps for examples = 5w, 6iron, wedge. Or may be 4iron, 4 iron, wedge. Or maybe 3hyb, 5iron, wedge. Whatever, but you get the point. or is it alwys a big stick for the longest tee shot regardless.

There is a Par 5 at one of my regular courses that I lay up on every single time. Both driver and 3 wood brings a creek in to play that cuts across the fairway in 2 spots. 3W too short brings the first crossing in to play. Driver too long brings the second crossing in to play. Plus, a layup puts you in a better position to cut the corner and go for the green in 2.

That's a very general statement to always simply assume. Circumstances combines with yardage will be what dictates regardless of the yardage by itself. And we are in general talking of when we know for sure its a 3shot hole.

that's why i said if it's short.

Thanks to those who posted hole pictures. They all are very different yet all very interesting and certainly would cause some decision making for attacking them. Love seeing this stuff to see what others are playing and how they play it. All good stuff.

That is one interesting hole for sure along with your description as well. I am wondering if the course was ever changed around some and if this was ever two separate holes at one time in the past?

Nope. Always been a par 5. The strategy for playing it has changed since the course was built in 1973 - some trees have died and gone away, while others have grown up or been strategically planted to expand the options and the risk/reward opportunities. It's a fun par 5, even though it usually takes the driver out of your hands. There are still lots of ways to play the hole. I've made a couple of eagles there, and I've also made a 12, both extremes have occurred in tournaments.

Simply put: yes. As several have shown here, there are holes that require it(sharp dogleg at 200yds & mature trees) and water hazards are typically my reasons. A local course has the dogleg & after 20 years, the trees have outgrown my ability to hit the ball high enough to clear the corner!

I agree with JB. If I can't get home in two I want to play to a number and try to make birdie by being in play and having a distance that I want to hit one of my 4 wedges to. I lay up with something off the tee on 4 par 4's at my home course to play to a number I want for my second. Can't reach an uphill par 4 that's 340 on the card so it's a hybrid or iron depending on the wind off the tee and a full wedgee of some sort instead of the awkward 36 yard uphill lie shot to a front pin location with a green that slopes back to front. Just makes sense o me.

All the time.
If I cant get home in two, I am almost ALWAYS looking at the numbers to where I want to be and the safest play.

For me I rarely come across a par 5 that would call for anything other than driver, but I'm not a long hitter and very rarely even consider going for a green in two. Even my longest drives still leave 200+ on any par 5 and I don't see the point in risking an errant shot when I know a simple 7 iron will leave me with a wedge and a likely birdie attempt and easy par. I wouldn't even hit a 4 or 5 iron to get closer because I'd rather have a 110 yard wedge than a 60 yard bump or half swing wedge.

If I ever learn to hit a 3w off the deck consistently that could change of course.

There is a par 5 on my course (12) that isn't all that long, maybe 485m from the back tee. There is a lake 25m in front of the green for protection. I used to always take driver off the tee but that leaves either an awkward 3/5 wood off a downhill lie or a 9 iron short of the water. Lately I've been taking 3 wood or less from the tee and playing it as a definite 3 shotter. Actually making more birdies this way.

Of course - if you can't reasonably make it in two, hitting driver is foolish. More I play, seems playing smart can make up for a lot of swing flaws on the scorecard ...

Of course - if you can't reasonably make it in two, hitting driver is foolish. More I play, seems playing smart can make up for a lot of swing flaws on the scorecard ...

I disagree with this generalization. If there is a reason not to take driver besides length, such as trouble, then sure. But I am more confident hitting driver off the tee, so why should I take something else if there is no trouble? I might lay up with my next shot, but not my driver. I would rather be as close as possible, I would rather be chipping or pitching on from 20 or 30 yards than to be hitting a full shot of anything into the green from a distance.

If there is a reason for laying up off the tee, then sure. But if you are confident with your driver, why take it out of your hands when you can lay up later?

I disagree with this generalization. If there is a reason not to take driver besides length, such as trouble, then sure. But I am more confident hitting driver off the tee, so why should I take something else if there is no trouble? I might lay up with my next shot, but not my driver. I would rather be as close as possible, I would rather be chipping or pitching on from 20 or 30 yards than to be hitting a full shot of anything into the green from a distance.

If there is a reason for laying up off the tee, then sure. But if you are confident with your driver, why take it out of your hands when you can lay up later?

I agree with this. I would rather try to get myself closer and then layup any time possible.

There's a opening hole on my home course that's a par 5 and dog legs roughly at 210 to the right and from there leaving 348 to the green. The tee box is elevated with trees covering the corner for protection but with a good drive, you can clear the corner placing yourself in good position with a chance to be home in two. So both options to lay up or cut the corner with driver and try for it in two are on the table. Safe bet is to lay up and go for it in three and leave a mid/short iron in for a possible birdie.

Absolutely, although not the longest hitter, its hard for me to get to any Par 5's in 2 over 500yds....I like my 3 wood when Im staying away from danger or if the first shot goes to a tight landing area

All the time. Home course has a water hazard that is 220 to front and 245 to carry with a slope back to the water till the 255 mark.

For me it's always the ??? why risk it. If I know I can't get there in two, and by trying to force it introduces danger then y go for it. Many times I will get the look of uncertainty from my playing partners, however in the end who walks off that green w/ the better score?!?!

There's a opening hole on my home course that's a par 5 and dog legs roughly at 210 to the right and from there leaving 348 to the green. The tee box is elevated with trees covering the corner for protection but with a good drive, you can clear the corner placing yourself in good position with a chance to be home in two. So both options to lay up or cut the corner with driver and try for it in two are on the table. Safe bet is to lay up and go for it in three and leave a mid/short iron in for a possible birdie.

That's your opening hole? Evil.

That's your opening hole? Evil.

yea that can probably set you up with a good or bad mind set for starting off your round. lol

There is a par 5 on the course I played Saturday where I normally just hit a 3 wood off the tee. It's a double dogleg, and I hit my driver through the first dogleg if I catch it flush.

yea that can probably set you up with a good or bad mind set for starting off your round. lol

I've seen the best and worse of both situations. Of course, I'm always feeling good for the opening hole and try to cut the corner! Good idea? Not always..lol..If you push it right, you will be sitting on the tee box of the third hole par 3. Atleast you have a nice lie :bulgy-eyes: But I do agree. It's a little evil and can ruin a round from the get go!

I do this every chance I get. If I can lay up to a iron I will do it.

it's all about confidence ... I think it's fair to say that MOST people would rather not hit driver if it isn't necessary - the chances for a big miss are far greater, again for most people. I hit my driver pretty consistent - say 8 out of 10 times I expect to be on or near the fairway. It's those 2 out of 10 shots that worry me & consequently, i don't pull the big stick unless it's really needed.

Back