Would you have counted it?

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So with Covid going my league course has the lifting contraptions in the cups. The guy I was playing had a 4' ish putt for par to tie me for the hole, he hit it a bit hard and it hit the metal rod portion of the contraption and bounced out to about 4". Walking off he said he got a par, I said no, the ball wasn't holed therefore he had a bogey. What is your take internet friends :)

cobblestone-ez-lyft.jpg

Backstory...... This is my coworker and he becomes super competitive when golfing. He will look for any infraction he can to attempt to gain an edge and win. If it would have happened to someone else he would have said it didn't count and would have called him on it. To the point people dread playing him in league because he becomes quite the "Richard" and it's not a fun casual round.

If the ball was sitting like the photo, then yeah.
if the ball hit off the metal post to 4" away, i gotta say yeah.
i mean how do you have enough touch to get it to rest where its at on the picture?
idk..

If the ball was sitting like the photo, then yeah.
if the ball hit off the metal post to 4" away, i gotta say yeah.
i mean how do you have enough touch to get it to rest where its at on the picture?
idk..

It was not resting like the picture, that is a stock photo I grabbed. The ball hit the metal rod, did not drop into the hole and rolled to about 4" away from the cup.

In means in. Unless there's a local rule that allows a bounce off the lifting contraption, it's not in.

I like to think I'm easy-going, but if the opponent is hyper-competitive and cuts no slack, I'm responding in kind. Sorry, Richard.

I'm assuming the pic is just to show us what the 'metal rod contraption' being referred to looks like. We have the same thing on my course. We don't count the putt unless it is holed. A few people have had the exact same thing happen (2X in my foursome). We've taken to rotating the flagstick so you aren't in danger of hitting the wire (which seems to act like a spring if you hit it hard enough).

Is that how that contraption, whatever it is, normally sits? It’s pretty much flush with the level of the green by the looks of it. How are you supposed to hole anything?

Karma. Give out Richard, expect to receive Richard.

In means in. Unless there's a local rule that allows a bounce off the lifting contraption, it's not in.

I like to think I'm easy-going, but if the opponent is hyper-competitive and cuts no slack, I'm responding in kind. Sorry, Richard.

That's the way I respond, lol. I tend to give him back some of his own medicine and he really hates it. There is enough room for the ball to hit the metal rod and drop into the hole but your speed has to be right, just like leaving the flag stick in. This putt had enough speed it could have been questionable without the metal rod. I did get a ruling from our league appointed official, I'm just curious to everyone else's thoughts. Two weeks ago I did the same thing, I did not count it has holed on my card, there wasn't even a question for me, my shot didn't drop therefore it was a bad break and I counted the stroke.

Yep would have counted it unless it was hit so hard there was no chance it goes in without a pin in.

Is that how that contraption, whatever it is, normally sits? It’s pretty much flush with the level of the green by the looks of it. How are you supposed to hole anything?

No, the black part sits at the bottom of the cup and you use a hook to lift it out.

1593183480518.png

Its the rub of the green. In means in, especially if this guy is a "Richard" as you describe.

If it's like you mention in the above post, where the black part is the bottom of the cup and it can actually be holed then no I'm not counting.

I'd have had to see it...but if the guy is kind of an a-hole about this type of thing...I'd probably return fire on that line of thinking.

If it was a laid back buddy of mine...I'd probably say "count it". But again...I'd have to see how it all played out with the raised hole, etc...

With only a 4" deflection I'd count it. It would be my "personal decision" that under normal conditions the putt would have been holed. Especially if the pin had been pulled.

These are crazy times with these cup fillers being used. It becomes a would've, could've, should've kind of decision. Common sense should prevail.

The other day I was playing with a stranger to me. He skulled his shot which hit the flag poll. The ball ricochet 30-40 feet off the green into a bunker. He counted it as holed out. Since nothing was the line between us, i just smiled to myself and let it go.

That's the way I respond, lol. I tend to give him back some of his own medicine and he really hates it. There is enough room for the ball to hit the metal rod and drop into the hole but your speed has to be right, just like leaving the flag stick in. This putt had enough speed it could have been questionable without the metal rod. I did get a ruling from our league appointed official, I'm just curious to everyone else's thoughts. Two weeks ago I did the same thing, I did not count it has holed on my card, there wasn't even a question for me, my shot didn't drop therefore it was a bad break and I counted the stroke.

Moral of the story: don't give lip to a trumpet player.

If the guy would have asked and discussed what I thought, I'd be inclined to give it to him. If he just assumes it's good and acts like you say, hell no that's not in. Even though 4" deflection might have gone in, you never know so he should at least asked what you thought before just saying "in"

Agreed, have to see it, sadly that's the game we play now, but do you really think it would have lipped out? sounds like it would have dropped to me.

Forget the Richard stuff, play golf and make the call without prejudice.

I had a chip that was going towards the hole with some pace and hit the pvc in the bottom of the cup and popped out. It was not a hole out. If this guy hit the metal rod and it popped back then it is not holed. Same thing if it hit a normal flagstick. The only way around that is if there is a local rule that says consensus of the group said it would go in, that is where he has to pay the douche tax.

Agreed, have to see it, sadly that's the game we play now, but do you really think it would have lipped out? sounds like it would have dropped to me.

Forget the Richard stuff, play golf and make the call without prejudice.

The Richard stuff is nothing more than applying the same yardstick to both players. OP said:

He will look for any infraction he can to attempt to gain an edge and win.

and

Two weeks ago I did the same thing, I did not count it has holed on my card, there wasn't even a question for me, my shot didn't drop therefore it was a bad break and I counted the stroke.

Seems to me OP is more consistent in his approach than is Richard.

This guy always plays in league "it's not good til it's in the bottom of the cup" and he won't give a putt, period. Most guys I would leave it up to their discretion, if they felt it dropped then fine. The league officials and many in the group who offered their opinion said it wasn't in the cup, it doesn't count. Many have said it has happened to them this year also. He twisted the flag stick the rest of the round though :ROFLMAO:.

We have the same pins at my course. The rod is very flexible and the ball springs off of it if it hits it. We have used judgement in the groups I play with. A putt from less than 10 ft or so that hits it center and bounces off will be good. A chip in or long putt probably not unless someone is really close and see that it was rolling slow enough that it probably would have gone in normally. I was playing with a friend and @H8tobogie about a month ago and had a flop from about 20 yards away that did just this. My friend was right there and said that it should have gone in so I counted it for my eagle. We weren't betting or anything though and were just having a casual round. I would probably count it from what you described.

That being said though. If the guy is a real Richard and would say to someone else that theirs wasn't good then I would probably lean the way you did. We have a couple guys like that and I won't concede them the benefit of the doubt because of how they try to enforce things on other people. Most of the time though I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in these situations.

I don't care if you are the nicest guy in the world, that wasn't a holed putt .

I don't care if you are the nicest guy in the world, that wasn't a holed putt .
Yeah but under normal non-covid circumstances you wouldn't have a metal rod there to prevent the ball from hitting a less bouncy pin and dropping in the hole. I think a little leeway should be given in these times. Heck most people would pull the pin for a 4 ft putt and this probably wouldn't have been an issue.

Back