Would you have counted it?

If it hits the rod it should count.

So with Covid going my league course has the lifting contraptions in the cups. The guy I was playing had a 4' ish putt for par to tie me for the hole, he hit it a bit hard and it hit the metal rod portion of the contraption and bounced out to about 4". Walking off he said he got a par, I said no, the ball wasn't holed therefore he had a bogey. What is your take internet friends :)

View attachment 8950754

Backstory...... This is my coworker and he becomes super competitive when golfing. He will look for any infraction he can to attempt to gain an edge and win. If it would have happened to someone else he would have said it didn't count and would have called him on it. To the point people dread playing him in league because he becomes quite the "Richard" and it's not a fun casual round.

No.

It wasn't holed if the hit the pin contraption and rested 4" away.

Who is he trying to kid?

No thanks. If he's playing like that feel free to keep putting until I hear it in the bottom of cup.

Not in the the groups I've been playing with. We haven't been counting anything unless the ball is inside the perimeter of the hole. So long as it rests on a noodle, PVC, inverted nipple, or whatever other contraption, it's good if it's inside the perimeter. We've all lost several strokes during these covid months that would've doubtlessly stayed in but we all knew the terms going in so it's just what it is. No butt hurt, no arguments, no questions on any bets. It's harsh but any other way would've produced interpretive 'grey area'. Fortunately I've not had to play with raised cups. Also my first traveling league tourney is in a couple days. Their rules might be more lax? Dunno? If so I'll start counting em;)

4" away does not make for a holed putt. Tough luck for him.

Not in the the groups I've been playing with. We haven't been counting anything unless the ball is inside the perimeter of the hole. So long as it rests on a noodle, PVC, inverted nipple, or whatever other contraption, it's good if it's inside the perimeter. We've all lost several strokes during these covid months that would've doubtlessly stayed in but we all knew the terms going in so it's just what it is. No butt hurt, no arguments, no questions on any bets. It's harsh but any other way would've produced interpretive 'grey area'. Fortunately I've not had to play with raised cups. Also my first traveling league tourney is in a couple days. Their rules might be more lax? Dunno? If so I'll start counting em;)
My home course used inverted cups for a while. It was tough to get a putt to stay in the hole, even a perfectly good putt that obviously would have dropped under normal conditions. The little metal teats on the bottom of the cup weren't very far below the surface and kicked a lot of putts out. The course didn't make any local rule about it (they're not at all proactive about local rules), but within our usual group we made our own "'Rona Rule" that if it was the consensus of the whole group that the putt would have been good with a normal cup, it was good.

One guy who's hyper-competitive was a Richard about it and denied several putts to other people even though the rest of the group agreed that they were good - then it happened to him on a birdie putt and when he whined about it, we said if the other's putts weren't good before, his wasn't either. He was really bent about it, but from that point on he went along with the group consensus.

My home course used inverted cups for a while. It was tough to get a putt to stay in the hole, even a perfectly good putt that obviously would have dropped under normal conditions. The little metal teats on the bottom of the cup weren't very far below the surface and kicked a lot of putts out. The course didn't make any local rule about it (they're not at all proactive about local rules), but within our usual group we made our own "'Rona Rule" that if it was the consensus of the whole group that the putt would have been good with a normal cup, it was good.

One guy who's hyper-competitive was a Richard about it and denied several putts to other people even though the rest of the group agreed that they were good - then it happened to him on a birdie putt and when he whined about it, we said if the other's putts weren't good before, his wasn't either. He was really bent about it, but from that point on he went along with the group consensus.
Yeah those inverted cups were just horrible. Several courses around here went that route early on but thankfully they changed over to better barriers eventually. Never seems to take the Golf Gods long to serve up a good ole dose of pay back like your buddy got. ;)

Yeah those inverted cups were just horrible. Several courses around here went that route early on but thankfully they changed over to better barriers eventually. Never seems to take the Golf Gods long to serve up a good ole dose of pay back like your buddy got. ;)

Inverted was still better than raised.

I thought this was interesting for competitive play...

The R&A and USGA say that the ball must come to rest with some of it below the surface.

Which coincides with the ruling we are playing by, which was tough luck for him.

No, the black part sits at the bottom of the cup and you use a hook to lift it out.

View attachment 8950758
With this clarification my answer is absolutely no. The safety device allows the ball to go in the hole. The ball didn't go in the hole. This isn't even debatable.

Last Saturday I lost two strokes because of the foam pool noodles in the holes. The putts were about 3 foot and they rolled in and popped out about 2-3 inches. I felt they would had dropped had they not had the pool noodles in the holes. A friend said no way he would not count it, but I told him technically I did not make it. Sometimes a couple strokes makes a difference in a not so great scoring day :banghead:

Some courses around here have removed obstructions placed in the holes, yet some still remain.

Last Saturday I lost two strokes because of the foam pool noodles in the holes. The putts were about 3 foot and they rolled in and popped out about 2-3 inches. I felt they would had dropped had they not had the pool noodles in the holes. A friend said no way he would not count it, but I told him technically I did not make it. Sometimes a couple strokes makes a difference in a not so great scoring day :banghead:

Some courses around here have removed obstructions placed in the holes, yet some still remain.
Those are 100% holed by current USGA guidance.

Thanks for bringing that up. If that happens again, I plan to mention that to the folks I am playing with.

Thanks for bringing that up. If that happens again, I plan to mention that to the folks I am playing with.

that’s not what I’ve been reading. This is a quota fromGolf Monthly. I’d be curious to see in the USGA where it says if it goes into the hole and pops out it’s still considered holed. The only think I have seen is if it’s a raised up it just has to hit it but again they won’t used raised cups for competition.

Hole and Definition of Holed

Hole liners are fully within the rules for competitions to ensure players avoid touching the flagstick.

However, gimmes are not allowed – even though they have been recommended for social play.

Clubs with hole liners that sit above the surface cannot hold competitions, clubs must have holes that allow some of the ball to fall below the surface.

If your ball does fall below the surface but then pops up, tough luck.

Here’s what I found but it’s related to Phase 3 and a most likely score debate which can still be a bit subjective.

3. My ball went into the hole, but due to the foam insert, it bounced out. How do I record my score for handicap purposes?

Although your ball has not been holed and you have yet to complete the hole, if you determine that, in your best judgment, your ball would have been holed more than 50% of the time had there not been a foam (or other material) insert, you must record your score for handicap purposes as if the ball was holed.

When making this decision, you should consider the speed at which your ball was traveling when it first entered the hole.

Screenshot_20200630-154052_Drive.jpg

Max width of a flagstick is .75", if it is over he may have a point.
I know with ours, we have a pc of pvc pipe around the flagstick as part of the lifter. We've had a matchplay league here, and before each match, we decide on whats fair. Most people agree that if someone hits one that they think would've been in, they look at the other player and say "I think that was in", as long as the other person agrees its in, if the other person disagrees its not in. Its worked out pretty good so far. I could see a real jerk making it a problem, but so far so good.

Back