Would you intentionally play worse performing gear?

Would you swap shafts, or stay with feel?

• Swap them out

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • If it's not broken, don't fix it

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

CBaker

Winter is coming
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Here's my dilemma. I was fit for certain iron shafts. The current shafts paired with the heads I have, spin a little high for me. It's robbing me of about 5-10 yards in my long irons per my fitting (4-6 irons, potentially about 5y in my 7). However, the current iron head/shaft combo I have is the best feeling combo I've ever played, and perform quite adequately to be honest.

So...would you swap shafts to get the gains, or deal with a little bit of high spin and loss of about 5-10 yards on the long irons?

Another key point to consider - I've played these distances for YEARS now, and hit them just fine with my current irons. They would be about 5-10 past them. I am also fairly accurate with my irons, especially distance wise, and I am coming off my best iron striking year probably ever.

Alright, THP, what would you personally do here? And the big kicker...what's your thought process as to why?

What's your dispersion with the new shafts?

Can you bend the upper irons a bit stronger to help with your launch parameters but keep the same shaft and head feel?

I am turning the corner where I prioritize consistency and accuracy over distance. I don't care how far I hit the ball. I think from your description I would keep playing the same shafts. Best feeling combo is not a trivial comment. I voted the other way, because I voted before i read your post. ?

Can you bend the upper irons a bit stronger to help with your launch parameters but keep the same shaft and head feel?

This, or could you change what ball you play?

Sounds like you want to keep what you got :)

I've thought about that, and should be able to no problem I would think.

Another possibility but that would affect all clubs and performance across those clubs.

Yea, I switched to the B X this year instead of the XS and it seemed to help a bit. But the distance gain was oddly drastic. No real change in dispersion either way though.

What's your dispersion with the new shafts?
Honestly they were almost exactly the same. Boring circles on the trackman haha

Another possibility but that would affect all clubs and performance across those clubs.

It may, that is true too. I’m just thinking of the cost to swap shafts and install vs just changing balls. If it messes with all his numbers though, that could be problematic.

Here's my dilemma. I was fit for certain iron shafts. The current shafts paired with the heads I have, spin a little high for me. It's robbing me of about 5-10 yards in my long irons per my fitting (4-6 irons, potentially about 5y in my 7). However, the current iron head/shaft combo I have is the best feeling combo I've ever played, and perform quite adequately to be honest.

So...would you swap shafts to get the gains, or deal with a little bit of high spin and loss of about 5-10 yards on the long irons?

Another key point to consider - I've played these distances for YEARS now, and hit them just fine with my current irons. They would be about 5-10 past them. I am also fairly accurate with my irons, especially distance wise, and I am coming off my best iron striking year probably ever.

Alright, THP, what would you personally do here? And the big kicker...what's your thought process as to why?
Sounds to me like it's not broke. Why fix it? If you're comfortable with what you have, stay with it.

If the accuaracy and consistency is there, I would leave them alone. But I am not a distance seeker when it comes to my iron play.

Honestly they were almost exactly the same. Boring circles on the trackman haha
In that case, it would seem that the adjustment distance-wise would be fairly easy. Longer and as accurate seems like it would be a good thing.

If the accuaracy and consistency is there, I would leave them alone. But I am not a distance seeker when it comes to my iron play.
Yea, me either usually, which is why I play what I do. However the distance just kinda...happened, with those shafts. It was honestly nuts, and after I was already done swinging like 200 shots with everything else.

I am definitely curious about the bending a couple degrees strong and seeing that that does to them spin/height wise.

I wouldn't change them. Having seen your game, I would stay with it.

As long as distance isn't a problem for you, or the strokes gained by new distance would be minimal, I'd stick with what you have. If the strokes would add up to something of significance with that extra distance I'd try to figure out how best to incorporate it.

As long as distance isn't a problem for you, or the strokes gained by new distance would be minimal, I'd stick with what you have. If the strokes would add up to something of significance with that extra distance I'd try to figure out how best to incorporate it.
Great point - I'm not sure it would actually help my scores much at all, and may even bring in more doubt when on approach shots.

I am having that same dilemma with my 3 woods EXS 3 wood is at least 10 yards longer, but Hogan 3 woods gaps better for me!

If you are playing well with your current clubs, and there is no real advantage to changing, why change? If you needed help to win something like a club tournament or such, then I could see a change. Otherwise, don't change until you have to.

If you like how the head feels, I think you could find a better performing shaft for said head. Definitely swap out the shafts and see if you improve performance.

With all of the gear out there now you shouldn't have to sacrifice one for the other.

A quality guru once famously said, “ Good quality isn’t necessarily high quality.” By that he meant a Corolla is every bit as good for that run to the grocery store as a Lexus. If you like the feel, know how to made the clubs work for you, and think the new clubs may not improve your scores, I’d think you should stay with what you have. Even though the new shafts give you better numbers, they aren’t the numbers you put on a scorecard.

If you like how the head feels, I think you could find a better performing shaft for said head. Definitely swap out the shafts and see if you improve performance.

With all of the gear out there now you shouldn't have to sacrifice one for the other.
Oh no, that's what it would be. Just different shafts in my current iron heads. The thing is though, the recoils greatly add to how good my current irons feel...like...a lot.

Back