Would You Move Up?

I'd probably play a mixed tee setup. Already playing whites it would be tough to move to the senior tees at 54.

I would have no choice but to move up. 2.5 clubs would be harsh mentally.

Without a doubt I'd move up, 25 yards is a big number for me. 5i from 155, woof.

I think I'd have to, 2.5 clubs is a lot and I'm not a long hitter as it is.

i am a golf club manufacturer's dream. if you make it, i will come (with my wallet).
giphy.gif

I’d stay put. 6500 yards would still be my max either way.

I'm not sure... seeing as how this stupid rule would piss me off immensely and not impact the quality of the golf experience at all I might find another hobby and spend less time on the course.

At my home course I wouldn't move. That said, it's just under 6800 from the tips regardless of which of the 18 holes I'm playing.

Playing 7000+ would be a lot tougher though. There are definitely a couple of courses I play every year where I'd move up a box. Losing 2.5 clubs would make anything around 7200 a slog.

I'm not sure... seeing as how this stupid rule would piss me off immensely and not impact the quality of the golf experience at all I might find another hobby and spend less time on the course.

Interestingly enough, this was the answer from two of the eight people that I was discussing with.
"Another rule that is done to impact my enjoyment of the game in a negative manner, and only catering to the top dozen tour players" Was the exact response.

I would move up. That decision is strictly based on keeping the fun factor in it for me. No need to try and be a hero and shoot from longer tees.

I don't know. I think I could get away with my current tees. But, thinking about it. If 2.5 clubs are lost (lets say it's 30 yards). That means that my driver is 30 yards shorter as well as the iron I am hitting into the green. That's a lot of yards. But, our course is short enough where I would still have an iron in hand on the par 4's. I guess I would live with it, but my inner Phil Mickelson wouldn't be happy about not hitting bombs anymore.

That's about 25 to 30 yrds I suppose. That's significant because not only are we shorter from the tee and need a longer approach club, but now it also takes an even longer approach club than the one we would have hit from the same yardage before. So on a given holke after a good drive lets say we had an 8iron leftover. But now wer are 25 yrds further which would have been possibly a 6 but because the ball travles less the 6 is no longer that same yardage and likely now need a 5.

of course we can apply this to any the distances anywhere. It would likely become frustrating cause even when those of us who struggle with consistency do hit good shots we just made it that much harder and likely even more inconsistent. It would take some doing but I think relatively quickly that moving up would be realized is a must.

I would pretty much stay where I'm at. Most courses around me are 6000 give or take a couple hundred from whites. If I'm on my swing I'll move to the tips just to stretch it out. Moving up on most of these courses takes the driver out of my hands or leaves me at a awkward distance. :nono:

I would say it depends on the course, a course where I don't play driver much off the tee I might not, or if I find myself with a long approach shots I would.

I would assume rolling back the ball wouldn't effect each club equally, and would be more like distance with range balls where there is distance loss on the long clubs but not so much with the wedges.

Which tee I am playing from has never been something I have focused on. The correct tees for me are the blues at most courses. But I like to play whites and even back on occasion. It allows me to play the course differently and hit different shots.

With that being said, if I am playing a new course or a course that i am only going to play once I generally let my playing partners decide.

CCW

Limiting the performance of the ball for what 50 PGA Players ? What's 25 -30 yrds going to do to Cameron Champ ? Nothing.
Why don't they just implement a Tour only ball for professional tournaments? I would do two things if the ball rolled back. I would change my gender and play ladies tees! LOL

I think that I would stay at the tees I usually play as the course ratings would be adjusted accordingly as well. It would certainly pose a different challenge, but that might be fun. Generally speaking, I dont struggle with distance, so I dont hit many 5/6/7 irons into par 4s currently. If they dialed the ball back, I would start using those clubs more often into greens which would potentially make for some more rewarding shots.

I might be unique in that opinion, so chances are the whole group would want to move up, and as I dont like playing different tees than the group, I suppose I would move up anyway.

I'd move up for sure.

I would move up why make it harder than it is. It is all about the fun!

I’d like to say that I would move up, but probably wouldn’t...

The course I play the most has 2 18's. The one I would stay at the back, because the back is I believe barely 6,300. The other course I would for sure move up. There are a few par 4's that force long irons in already at the moment, and the overall course length isn't even that long. Just because of basically those 2 or 3 holes I'm moving up.

At my home club I'd stay at the same 6,400 yard tees. I'd also upgrade to some strong lofted irons and then I'd be hitting the same numbered club!:p I actually did just that for the first time today as my new Callaway forged 4 iron arrived this morning just in time for my round. It has less loft than the 2 iron from 1997 that it replaces!:)

Since I already moved up, due to age and lost power, so probably not. It may cost me a few strokes in handicap. but that may be a universal thing. Fortunately, this is a item for discussion, not a fact.

Rolling back to the old balata ball that I played with for 20 years would not cost me 2.5 clubs. It would cost me almost exactly 1 club of distance which is about 13-15 yards. My swing has slowed down 5 mph from it's peak and I still carry my old '97 Taylormade 7 iron about 168 yards jus like I did 30 years ago.

Average driving distance on the PGA Tour is up 22 yards since the modern ball(ProV1) came out but not all of that is because of the ball. Shafts, clubheads, proper fitting, and stronger athletes play a part in that increase.

I'd be requesting the course to build a new tee box :)

Back