Would You Move Up?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Got a question today from a friend and it turned into a rather lengthy text message chain of about 8 people discussing. Thought it would be great for the forum.

If they rolled the ball back, and let's say you lost 2.5 clubs worth of distance, would you move up a tee box, or continue to play where you are, and just hit longer clubs into greens?

Call me the Jeffersons, cause I'd be movin on up. I'm not hitting fairway woods into par 4's with any sort of regularity, that's not a fun way to play golf and definitely a sign of playing too far back.

• Admin
Call me the Jeffersons, cause I'd be movin on up. I'm not hitting fairway woods into par 4's with any sort of regularity, that's not a fun way to play golf and definitely a sign of playing too far back.

If it's 2.5 clubs, you wouldn't be, unless you are already playing from the wrong tees, right?

Well I have always thought it was age specific, some 50 some 55 depends on the course and if this for fun or tournament play? , but I think you should play where you feel comfortable and are having fun unless tournament play, but too answer your question 2.5 clubs is alot of loss, so I would think this is due to old age or injury and I would say make the game more enjoyable and move up with pride

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Oof. Hard to say. I’d probably move up. Or I’d like to think I’d move up at least.

If it's 2.5 clubs, you wouldn't be, unless you are already playing from the wrong tees, right?

Exactly. If I lost 25 yards of distance, that means I need to adjust to tees where I was hitting the same club as I was before. Why would I want to suffer hitting 5 irons where I was hitting 7-8 irons? Not gonna hold the green with any ease with that club vs the shorter irons.

• Admin
Well I have always thought it was age specific, some 50 some 55 depends on the course and if this for fun or tournament play? , but I think you should play where you feel comfortable and are having fun unless tournament play, but too answer your question 2.5 clubs is alot of loss, so I would think this is due to old age or injury and I would say make the game more enjoyable and move up with pride

Im not sure I understand the age part of it? This is about rolling the ball back.

at my home course, I would probably play the same tees. I am kind of in between the white and blue tees, and usually play the white so would just keep paying the white and it would be very similar to playing the blues currently for me.

I would probably stay where I am for a round or two, then realize I should move up, but won't because I will convince myself I can still stay here, muscle through 2-3 rounds of awful scores, then accept defeat and move up a tee.

I'd stay at the tees I prefer and live with the change. For me golf isn't defined by absolute scores or a specific expectation for what clubs I will hit on certain types of holes. I like the challenge. Besides if the change is for everyone, we would all have the same relative impact. Handicaps would reflect that. No big deal.

boy, that would be a hard adjustment mentally. but i suppose eventually i would. though hopefully loft jacking and club design would make up for whatever is stolen from ball performance

I would stay at my current tees and club up.

boy, that would be a hard adjustment mentally. but i suppose eventually i would. though hopefully loft jacking and club design would make up for whatever is stolen from ball performance

This is the greatest internet golfer answer in the history of mankind.

I'd have no problem moving up a tee box for sure. I'm too old to be playing the tips or the middle for that matter on some of these courses. I'd rather hit the shorter or same clubs into holes now vs trying to hit it close, let alone hold greens, with longer irons or fw metals.

^^^^^ This

This is the greatest internet golfer answer in the history of mankind.

i am a golf club manufacturer's dream. if you make it, i will come (with my wallet).

having recently just moved back a set of tees...my scores have risen slightly as I learn to reign in the Driver. So If I magically lost that distance I would absolutely move back up.

Probably wouldn't affect my scores much. I can miss a 4i just as well as a 7i... and vice versa... and I can hold a green just as well with a 3wd as I an a 4i, 6i as a 9i, etc.

I would want to move up. Currently, when I play for fun we pick the tee based on yardage many times. Too long, we move up. Too short, we move back.

However, My league I sometimes play in would probably not move up. This might change my mind as my handicap for the league would be based off the shorter distances if I moved up. I would lose a bunch of stroke handicap wise for our league most likely then.

i am a golf club manufacturer's dream. if you make it, i will come (with my wallet). Unless its forgiving, thick or strong lofted.

FIFY.

2.5 clubs through the bag would be 25 yards with the driver and irons, so what used to be a 7i could be close to a 5W in this scenario. I'd have to move up most likely.

Im not sure I understand the age part of it? This is about rolling the ball back.
Because one usually goes to the senior tees at a certain age and I have to assume if you lose 2.5 clubs it has to be due aging , but that part was not in the info but I assumed that why, if not then something is causing the loss then I would go back to what I said and, to make it fun and move up unless it's tournament play

I think I'd have to move up otherwise some of the fun would be taken out of the game for me. I like punishing myself occasionally by playing from the tips but having to make up that distance every round would get old.

Back