What name would you choose?

• Total voters

Thrillbilly Jim

Raised On Hose Water And Neglect
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
My wife and I have been discussing what we should name our son. We have three names we like, but haven’t been able to pick a winner. I’m going back and forth with naming him JBC IV?! I want to carry on the tradition, but do I want him to have his own identity? My oldest son, who just graduated high school, is actually adopted. If he was younger, I probably wouldn’t chose the IV name out of not wanting to ostracize him. But, I think he is old enough and mature enough to know it wouldn’t be done to make him feel less than. I keep coming back to the fact that if I didn’t, I would probably regret it sooner or later.
The choices are...
1- James Bernard Cobb IV
2- Lincoln Roosevelt- I like the name Lincoln and my great-grandfather’s name was Roosevelt
3- Jackson Beau- We both like Jackson and Beau is a nickname for me and it keeps the JBC initials

What would you do?

Having the same name as my father has caused so many issues over the years, when my sons were born I said any name was good except mine.

So we went with the same initials. A and C.

To the thread title - no, I wouldn't.

To the poll - such a personal thing. I actually like all the names, but voted Jackson Beau. Jackson is a cool name and Beau is a cool nickname, so he'd be stylin' either way. :cool:

laziest thing in the world just going with someone Jnr - someone the 3rd the 4th etc..... It's not like there are a shortage of possible names available. For example, Davis Love is not so amazing that you need to keep it going forever - think they are up to 5 or 6 now. Millions of people throughout history grow up wanting to know what the hell were their parents thinking. For example, the Pypes naming their son Dwayne. Or the Bottoms going with Ophilia for their daughter. But we must remember, most humans are dumber than putter covers.

Nope. Names are for remembering the memories of those who have passed.

To answer the question in the thread title: no

of the three poll options, I’ll abstain - even though you asked I feel it’s a deeply personal decision.

This is the answer I'll give as well. I gotta be honest, when I saw your question I was thinking "I wouldn't be asking a forum for this advice." Just too personal of a decision. Whatever choice you make, I'm sure it will be great.

I think that’s too personal for me to really answer. My family has a history of naming kids after people but none are Jr. or 3rd etc...

When it comes time, you’ll know the answer. That’s what I’ve always been told with things like this.

This is the answer I'll give as well. I gotta be honest, when I saw your question I was thinking "I wouldn't be asking a forum for this advice." Just too personal of a decision. Whatever choice you make, I'm sure it will be great.
Just looking for an unbiased outside opinion is all....kind of a sounding board.

My wife and I have been discussing what we should name our son. We have three names we like, but haven’t been able to pick a winner. I’m going back and forth with naming him JBC IV?! I want to carry on the tradition, but do I want him to have his own identity? My oldest son, who just graduated high school, is actually adopted. If he was younger, I probably wouldn’t chose the IV name out of not wanting to ostracize him. But, I think he is old enough and mature enough to know it wouldn’t be done to make him feel less than. I keep coming back to the fact that if I didn’t, I would probably regret it sooner or later.
The choices are...
1- James Bernard Cobb IV
2- Lincoln Roosevelt- I like the name Lincoln and my great-grandfather’s name was Roosevelt
3- Jackson Beau- We both like Jackson and Beau is a nickname for me and it keeps the JBC initials

What would you do?
Carry on the tradition of JBC IV......but call him Beau.

We have two daughters. No sons. Both daughters have my middle name as their middle name.

Their first names were chosen by their Mom after some of her family members.

The 6 grandkids share either mine, or my wife's middle names.

I like the name Lincoln . Go for it !

I wouldn’t since I Think I’d feel weird starting the tradition BUT if I were you, I think I’d keep the tradition going. I think it could give him a sense of belonging and part of a legacy

As I wrote earlier, Lincoln is a great first name so if you and your wife like it, go for it. My guess is that your son will enjoy having a dignified yet cool sounding name like Lincoln.
Also, if you like like alliterations, consider first names starting with C, such as :

Carl Cobb
Chester Cobb
Christopher Cobb
Charles Cobb

My vote is Lincoln Cobb !

I voted the last one since you both like that name.

Of the choices, I would go with JBC IV and call him Beau. You don't want him to be known as Young James, and if you call him Little James, that will surely guarantee he will become 6" taller and/or 70 lbs heavier than you.

I picked that one because I like using names to carry on memories and legacies. In our family,

My grandson has his father's middle name,
which is my middle name,
which was my father's first name,
which was his mother's maiden name.

So that name has been in our family for five generations and carries a lot of meaning and memories with it. I can't think of my middle name without remembering four very dear people. And we are able to do it with unique first names.

I agree with it being a personal decision, that notwithstanding, James Bernard Cobb gets my vote as, in my opinion, it is by far the best of the three.

I am a traditionalist when it comes to names. I don't like "cool" names or fads, trends, etc.

My family has a tradition where one of our names is in there somewhere:
My dad is Micheal Frederick
I am Sean Micheal and my son is Micheal Thomas. My bro is Shane Frederick and his son is Cade Frederick

but I didn’t vote in the poll

I wanted him to be named sort of along my name, but not a Jr. So i named him after my brother, middle name of my father, giving home my initials....

To answer the question in the thread title: no

of the three poll options, I’ll abstain - even though you asked I feel it’s a deeply personal decision.

Agreed. I have three sons and none of them are named after me. They all have middle names of long ago ancestors that were near and dear to us.

I personally wouldn't name my son after me, I don't even like that his middle name is mine - but my wife insisted.

I really like Lincoln. It was on our list for sure.

None of those jump out at me.

I named my first born after Tiger. He was born in 2001.

Yep and I did ...my son is the fourth. I'm grooming him early so his son will have the "V"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back